don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Secret Bonus

Secret Bonus

I'm walking in snake piiiits, oooooOOOOooooh Member
    Honestly, it looks more like a standard "green hill" so to speak, than anything tropical. Maybe have some sort of beach in the background? I dunno.

2. Matwek

Matwek

The colours just seemed brighter and more vivid to me in the origonal grass, nothing to do with more or less detail was just making an observation. This is just the grass mind you, I agree on the whole increasing the detail on the actual pattern, im just yet to come to a conclusion as to how, theres defiently still something missing

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ha! Says you! I'm am quite sure that I could pull this off in a hack. It would actually be quite easy, as it would just need some slight optimization to use less 8x8 tiles...and it would still look almost identical.
    How would you feel if someone took your work and changed it in a way that you didn't agree with and claimed that it was better than what you had done? That's about how I'm feeling right now...It's kinda hard to explain exactly how I fell about it. I could just jump out of this project like I was thinking about earlier, but I am staying with it for now because I want to see this turn into something great. Right now with the edits this level is looking very awkward... so I can't help but say something about it.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    I know how it feels, since so many people have done the same thing to me.

So, have we decided on a name yet? Because Celestial Tropic Zone sounds like the best one to me. However, if you do that, you're gonna need something for the first half of the name, say... metallic platforms at higher altitudes, a starry sky (where the boss should definitely be), etc. Also, I like the idea of there being a small island somewhere in the background at one point, where parts of Act 2 can be seen. So far, it looks like the level's going well.

5. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
    We realize you're offended by this, Rika, but this is a collaborative effort, everything you make is subject to change. I realize how terribly cliché this saying is but it's true: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Hey, feel free to prove me wrong! I'd like to see that background in a future release of Sonic 2 Advanced Edit Canceled, you know. :v:

If I wasn't prepared for people to mess with my work, I wouldn't have submitted it in the first place. If I don't agree with the direction they're taking it in, I'd concisely detail what exactly I feel was like with it, with visual (audio?) examples, and perhaps try and change their annotations in a way that I think looks better. This would go on and on until we reached some sort of compromise.

That's the difference between just making something for yourself and making something for a collaborative project, though—everybody can tweak their fair share until everybody can agree on something. The thing is, all you've said is "this looks wrong" but you haven't pointed out very specific bits that could be changed, in which way they could be changed, or even made quick and dirty mockups of what you think would look better.

I think the ultimate consensus is that, whilst your art is a good base, it could use some improvements. I'm personally liking the improvements so far, as are others, so I think it's fair that you at least try to make some sort of compromise so it can reach its full potential as a level. What you've done looks good for Sonic 1 or even Sonic CD, but the games adopted more sophisticated pixel art as the series progressed. I think that, therefore, it's natural that we try and put as much detail into things as we can manage to a reasonable extent. I don't think the improvements so far are unreasonable; but, as I said, the best thing you can do is make your own changes to the improvements.

You're a great artist, so I totally trust that you could whip something up that works for everyone. :(

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

I had a quick shot at fixing the background mountains...they obviously need more work, but I didn't like the old ones very much.

8. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
  9. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
  10. Witch Chao

Witch Chao

Now with 200% more Bullshit Member
    Super Sonic Drift
    Ooh, pretty mountains.

I can deffinatly see what Tweak was saying here.

The old ones look like something from Sonic one(and possibly 2 or CD), but the newer ones are closer to the style we're aiming for.

11. Beautiful improvements on the mountains, Rika!

I like this style. More detailed with high contrast and saturation.

12. SwissCM

SwissCM

How about a few rocky bits jutting out of the waterfall?

13. Amistat

Amistat

Loving the new rocks, much more detailed which seems to fit with the current theme.

I was wondering though, am I the only one who thinks this tropical paradise is looking a little...rockish? How about a bit more green? Something like this perhaps?

[​IMG]

Obviously it's missing the new rock design as I only have Paint to work with and it's a pain to resync it all =P
    Grass on the foreground design breaks it up a bit and helps remove the repetitiveness some people have commented on, some on the rocks at the back helps too and gives the impression of moss due to the waterfalls and general wet environment.
    The grassy bridge helps give an impression that it's been there a long time and has become overgrown, instead of being new and polished.

The spring I knocked together, I like it :argh:

Any thoughts?

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    To be honest I think those "improvements" to Rika's foreground work look pretty awful. It's like someone threw random 16x16 tiles at it. The grass is okay but I'd suggest "cleaning" it up a bit. Use Chaotix as a reference.

15. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
  16. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Nice work so far team! I see a zone in the works! .. and may I add, that this project is very much taking shape.
    We need some plant life in this zone... I have created five different plant styles that may be suitable. Feel free to edit them as you wish, but this is what I have come up with...

[​IMG]

17. Eddo

Eddo

Do you guys think my giant Motobug would work as a boss here? I can help think of other concepts if not. ;)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, great work, Rika! I hope I can eventually help out with the sprites as much as you do.

18. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    Rika, youre always been one of my favourite artist :P

If we add Nack as minboss, what it does in this level?

Any ideas?

19. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    [​IMG]

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

How about this?
    [​IMG]