don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    People say they like somebody else's work more than yours, and all of a sudden you have to leave the project? I don't get it. This has to be, like, the first time somebody's ever left legitimate criticism of your work in light of a specific goal. All I saw on the old forums were people mindlessly praising you without any constructive discussion. Maybe you're not used to it, and maybe I came on a bit strong, but I see absolutely no reason for that attitude.

There's nothing significantly different going on here, and a "Sonic 4" sort of concept would not have taken a Sonic CD direction in terms of style. That was specific to Naoto Ohshima's way of thinking, and it's pretty obvious that a sequel would have, again, been headed by Hirokazu Yasuhara.

I believe Black Squirrel's mockup is more similar to that style. Why don't you, exactly?

You're not helping at all. Be constructive, or... well, just don't reply. We don't need this crap.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Nonononono, this has nothing to do with criticism or whatever. I think it just has to do with creative differences. If this game is going to use an art style that I feel is not the right choice, I might as well just not be part of it. I'm not saying that it's bad, it's just not how I have always envisioned this project. Since this is now officially a community project, I am not going to go out of my way to force my work into this when the community seem to prefer something else more.

So, if my art style is not what is wanted, I see no point in me being part of this. I'm not trying to have a bad attitude or anything, I'm just trying to be sensible. I mean, since this project was first started, people have been complaining about my work on this level and I guess it's about time that I start listening to this...

3. Matwek

Matwek

4. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Personally, I think Rika's art looks good. Seeing as it's been used since the stars, why not continue using it and improving it? As for the other art...
    ...basically this. (Yes, I can see the Chaotix tree, the generic new grass, and the random plants and cave stuff.) This is supposed to be, well, a fourth Sonic game, and Green Hill Zone+ doesn't seem to be right for that.

5. CyclopsCaveman

CyclopsCaveman

Crawled out of a fan. Member
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    To be fair back in July when I made that set I wasn't going for an original look. I was kinda going for an "enhanced" look - so people would instantly know it was a Sonic tileset and not something completely different. I can assure you nothing's taken directly from another game though.

Rika's stuff is probably a better choice, but it still needs a bit of editing so that it doesn't make this game look like Sonic 2 Advanced Edit 2. But even then a quick palette change would probably fix that.

7. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    People, please calm down. Remember that everyone has a different idea of what this game should be. I propose a hybrid of some sort between the two backgrounds:
    [​IMG]
    Not exactly the sexiest example, but just throwing it out there as a concept. Feel free to expand upon this in some way, shape, or form.

8. Matwek

Matwek

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That's not quite what I had in mind but I agree that somewhere between the two would be ideal -- the only real issue that I have with Rika's art is, again, that the texture is too simple. I don't have anything against the art in Mushroom Hill either, but it's a bit simple for a project that I feel is supposed to expand on Sonic 3 / Sonic & Knuckles. That new art that you've made appears non-uniform.

Consider for example, Chaotix, arguably the next game in the series.
    [​IMG]

It's using a lot of different colors and patterns for those floor tiles. Their less uniform design and occasional checkered patterns actually remind me much of Sonic 2's first level.

[​IMG]
    Because more of the color and graphics space has to be used for enemies and other objects, the ground is monochromatic, but the patterns are more complex and nonuniform than the ones proposed here.

10. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  11. CyclopsCaveman

CyclopsCaveman

I never suggested it absolutely had to be an overgrown rain forest. It could always be split into two separate branches, one branch from the dock act that leads to two beach acts (and then two different routes that lead to two different paths through zone two, going back to the catwalks idea I had) and another one that leads directly to land and skips over the beach, giving two acts of whatever kind of grassy/plainy/foresty area we decide on to use, but leads to two different paths in the second zone, but the top path is the same as the bottom path from the beach, and the bottom path has Sonic going under the Carnival, and maybe we could have the top two levels of the Carnival separate from the bottom, so that you take the bottom path and you can later fight bosses in different arenas than at the top or bottom of the carnival, and each boss leads into a different path, and branches off into different zone designs for top, middle, and bottom paths, and if you take all bottom paths, or take the bottom path in act 3, you go into the sewers.

12. synchronizer

synchronizer

I don't think bosses should be rehashed. To keep things fresh, new bosses should be created for each zone, therefore giving the player a reason to play the game again and again.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  14. CyclopsCaveman

CyclopsCaveman

I'm not saying 'rehash bosses'. If that's what it seemed like when I was talking about fighting bosses in different arenas, I meant zone-specific bosses. Sorry if I came off on the wrong tangent there about bosses.

15. Matwek

Matwek

16. I'm really liking the grass of the composited image, but the ground tiles could use some work; to expand on what Matwek said, they really look more like Columns jewels randomly stuck into dirt than actual ground pieces.
    Perhaps you could either make the darker bits look less recessed or make the parts sticking stick out less?

17. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Since we are apparently talking about aesthetic here,

[​IMG]

I can honestly say that this is the first mockup I've seen that is worthy of a Sonic sequel. Rika's stuff is very cool, but it just seems to monochromatic. This new style is PERFECT

18. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
  19. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
  20. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Honestly, I think that if the original team had made a sequel following Sonic and Knuckles, they probably wouldn't have done another Green Hill Zone. It would have been another somewhat similar concept but radicalized in the same fashion as Angel Island or Mushroom Hill. Simple of course, but far less so than EHZ/GHZ.

For that reason, I think the original set is more fitting than a bunch of GHZ touchups.