don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    You can't actually place any object with an id over $80 in a level though.

2. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    Sonic Adventures EX, Sonic 2 Redemption Edition
    Hello again... I am making some progress on a sonic 1 hack but have hit a bit of a wall and are having trouble figuring out the solution. I ported the spindash as per the guide and added the frames using sonmaped it all worked great... then with some help I added the peelout, the code is working fine but was just using the static sonic standing frame so I decided to go back to sonmaped and add the peelout sprites. The rom built ok but now all the frames are in a crazy order. I am unable to figure out how to rectify it.

I have attached a link to the built rom so you can see for yourselves.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fb26c8e...2db6fb9a8902bda

3. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
  4. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    From the looks of things, I'd say that some of the tiles were replaced with the peelout animation tiles. (spindash and angled running are full of them.) Try adding the peelout to a clean version of the spindash edited sonic.bin file.

What I want to know is, where exactly did you put the frames?

By all the frames, do you mean EVERY frame? (spring, balance, drown, ECT) Did you add the peelout sprites after the spindash at the end of all of Sonic's sprites? If you added the peelout sprites BEFORE anything else, then everything else is messed up because their frame numbers have gone up 1 value for each frame (EX. Whatever is in 3A will become 3E if you added 4 frames before it.).

Edit: Forgot about the download link, I'll know what you're talking about in a second. >___>

5. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    I put the peelout frames over the unused streched frames (the ones that look a bit like a spindash but arnt) I did this becasue I added my spindash sprites at the end and I wasnt sure if there was a limit on how big the file could be.

6. Yuzu

Yuzu

Is there anyway at all to increase the time the title screen is displayed for on Sonic 1 before going into a demo? Sorry for not checking the wiki.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Code (Text):
    1. move.w  #$178,($FFFFF614).w; run title  screen for $178 frames
    This line is a few lines above the "Title_ClrObjRam2" label, so if you have troubles looking for that line you can look for that label and go 4 lines up.

8. Yuzu

Yuzu

Damn, sorry about making another question but I was wondering if it was possible to remove the title screen's background(GHZ) from Sonic 1 via ASM or something so it's just black, or will it have to involve mappings?

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    If you just want it to be black, and you don't plan to change it to something else at all, you can take the lazy way, and just change palette lines 3 and 4 to all black.

edit: fuck, no, there is the dynamic GHZ palette. Sorry :\

So the BG will be completely black but there will be the water effect.

Ha, found. Change this:
    Code (Text):
    1. PalCycle_Title:         ; XREF: TitleScreen
    2.         lea (Pal_TitleCyc).l,a0
    3.         bra.s   loc_196A
    To this:
    Code (Text):
    1. PalCycle_Title:         ; XREF: TitleScreen
    2.         rts
    :thumbsup:

10. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Or you could just use the guide I made separate GHZ from the title screen, and make all of the title's tiles black. =P

Hmm... it sounds like you over wrote the tiles somehow. Just start over with it and put it after the spindash this time to see what happens.

11. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I have a few sprites after the spindash ones and it works fine.

12. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    Thank you peeps for all your help, I did the plc's and the mappings manually after having a chat with a freind on msn, also I took your advice and put the peelout sprites after the spindash sprites :) It is working brilliantly. Right then onto my next problem... Esraels sonic 2 menu to sonic 1 port - no matter what I try I cant get it to build with it in... I am assuming it has to be in a certain area of the asm file but where I have no clue.

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    First of all, not really. It's a jmp that's used to get there, but my including fails. If that happens with you, like it's double-defined, just add it before EndOfRom.
    Now you'll need to do some label changing.
    Title_ChkLevSel is loc_3242 if you don't know. (You probably have done this but I've put this up for reference.)
    Next, you'll get two errors about illegal values, they can be sorted by going to the line (if you have a good editor Ctrl+G will give you a line searcher window) then adding FFFF after the $.
    After that, more labels need changed, most of them (like NemesisDec_1440) can be sorted easily because you can just replace it with NemDec. I don't have drx's disassembly on me though, but download that, check the labels you don't recognise or can make a comparison to and search the lines. Hopefully that'll get you started.

14. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Forgive me, but...

I've got a fully functioning Peel-Out in my Sonic 1 hack.

However, I do not have the art or sound effects.

If anyone has them and wouldn't mind sharing them, could you send them to me?

15. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    Thank you SOTI it did the trick its in and it works but it dosnt quite look right - even though I have the art and the mappings the miles/sonic backdrop isnt there just a black screen with the level select on - but the level icons are all there. any ideas?

16. Twilight

Twilight

Michigan
    A Sonic the Hedgehog hack
    How do I enable the "Spike Bug" in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with Xenowhirl's 2007 Disassembly?

17. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    Hi all,

I have looked to see if anyone has asked this, but I'm surprised that no one has.

In my Sonic Hack, I am returning all the three unused Sonic monitors back into my hack,
    Which are:

Robotnik Monitor - Hurts Sonic
    S Monitor - Awards Sonic 50 Rings
    Goggles Monitor - Gives Sonic Oxygen

I have successfully implemented the first two monitors, but I have no idea how to implement the oxygen effect, via Hivebrain's ASM68K assembly, so does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks!

18. nineko

nineko

italy
    If you want it to give you the same amount of air given by an air bubble (which is the same you get when you go above water):
    move.w #$1E,($FFFFFE14).w

For more air, raise $1E; for less air, decrease $1E

19. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Anyone know how to fix the bug where recompiling a Sonic 1 ROM ends up with s1built.bin being 128 bytes? :colbert:

20. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    Thanks for the help, but as I am writing the code in the ASM file, I have started with:

; ===========================================================================

Obj2E_ChkGoggles:
    cmpi.b #8,d0 ; does monitor contain Googles?
    bne.s Obj2E_ChkGoggles
    move.w #$1E,($FFFFFE14).w ; Add Oxygen to Sonic
    ; ===========================================================================

I know there is more to add, as when I tried the compiled Sonic ROM, when I hit the Goggle Box, as I expected, the game froze, so what extra code should I add?

Also could you add how to add the Sound Effect to the monitor so that it makes the same sound as the sound when Sonic collects an air bubble.

Thanks again