don't click here

How I Met Your Sonic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Moogs, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

I caught this while watching the season 4 opener.

[​IMG]

Virtua Racing.

[​IMG]

Full cabinet (with a Sarah Chalke who looks like shes passing a child)

[​IMG]

Crazy Taxi

2. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    An arcade with sega cabinets? shock and awe, sir, shock AND awe

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I remember seeing this deodorant commercial with Danica Patrick racing some kids at an arcade game, and in the back of the picture at the end I clearly saw a Sega Super GT twin cabinet.

4. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Hmm..
    Step 1. Become a writer for a TV Show
    Step 2. Write "Scene Four : Int. Arcade"
    Step 3. Make Scene four last 17 pages.
    Step 4. Wait for crew to build decent arcade for scene.
    Step 5. Between takes, play Sega games!!!

\o/yeay\o/

5. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    I was almost surprised to see Virtua Racing, given that it's a reasonably recent TV show. That said, Sega still keeps spares for the arcade game.

6. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Speaking of odd sega sightings, I've played a SegaSonic the Hedgehog in real life at Coney Island in this crazy run-down but still epic arcade called Faber's Fascination - it was in the back, complete with "This is not legal outside of japan" messages. It was entirely in japan, but had a replaced coin mechanism. It was pretty awesome.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I have like only ever seen a VR cabinet like once in real life. I had to play it. It was pretty cool but I think the controls were broken.

8. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    run down huh, did it have Polybius?

9. Yuzu

Yuzu

I've played one at some place called SegaWorld 3 years ago, unfortunately the place was for sale.

10. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    The cabinet wasn't particularly rare in the game's heyday, but then it was released in 1992. Maybe I'm showing my age here? Most of the VR machines on the market would have made way for Daytona USA after a while, as it was more graphically advanced and absolutely cleaned up in terms of takings.

11. :)

I was surprised that people actually care about this still.

Polybius is probably one of the most fascinating stories I've ever read. I have an abo of a retro-gaming magazine and in some issue of 2005/6 they hade a HUGE article about polybius and also it was on the cover picture, where the programmer (or thats how that guy calls himself) wrote stuff on an internet forum or something (I can't find the issue anymore) and sent an emulated version of the game saying "I warned you. Don't play this" and the whole "letter" was in a depressive mood.

12. Yuzu

Yuzu

To tell the truth, IMO Polybius' side effects(amnesia, suicidal thoughts) are just a hoax. There has been no actual 'real' ROMs or such, all of it has just been hoaxed etc.

Apparently there is some interview with one of the people involved with the games: http://bitparade.co.uk/modules/articles/article.php?id=21

Some of the article:

13. Cap

Cap

Sega actually used to Sponsor the formula 1 team Williams, so the Williams team used to have a Sonic image on the side of the car. I don't know if it's news to anyone, but its main reason behind Sonic being there, apparently as a tyre make. It's also most likely the reason behind games like Sonic Drift.
    The teams rivals, McLaren, also used to display a squashed Sonic when they would win races.

14. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    My favorite part of that sponsorship:

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    hahahahaahahah

Actually, there is a Sonic annual with pictures of that car & racing group.

16. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    I live like 45 minutes on the bus from the Lloyd District, but can't think of what the arcade would be. Probably went belly up after home gaming became popular.

17. Nova

Nova

Im pretty sure SegaWorld has been dead for more than 3 years. Infact, I think I went to The Trocadero while in London to see if it was still there about three years ago and it was already replaced with 'FunLand'. I have heard that there was another SegaWorld somewhere in London that was like a basement arcade kind of thing, but it has since become a Game outlet.
    To be honest, it wouldn't compare to the old SegaWorld... Did anyone else go there? I was about 8 when I went and it was so awesome, and yes, it had SegaSonic Arcade cabinets and I got to play it for a little while.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There was (is?) a Segaworld still in Southampton. This would have been about 6 years ago when I was last there though, soooo... *shrugs*

19. Yuzu

Yuzu

It wasn't it London, it was in a city(or town) not far from Bournemouth . Only other thing I can say is that it was not far from a Cinema. And yeah, it would have been 4 years now because it was late 2004 when I went there. It was somewhere near

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.