don't click here

Sonic 2 Retro Remix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Thorn, May 30, 2008.

1. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    That background in act two is so simple yet somehow brings a whole new feel to the level, even though it's just a palette edit of EHZ. Impressive, really :D

2. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    JUMPDASH

DID I SEE A JUMPDASH THERE

RAAAAAAAGE

3. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    [​IMG]

Very early WIP of HTZ in progress. I'm intending to aim for a DDZ/ICZ feel for this level, a majority of this will contain new objects art as well as lava. Credits go to Stephen for loading and separating the art into SonED2.

4. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    It's contest time, so obligatory release.

Still the same levels as last release, only with music, art, and layouts edited further. Credits to Tweaker for music help (about ten times over) and ports, and all credits from before. I'll shut up now, because there's nothing I can say that you wouldn't find out by playing it.

EDIT: Holy shit, this sounds about awful on Hacktube. I strongly suggest just downloading it from the link there even just to try.
    EDIT 2: Actually, it FREEZES on Hacktube. Works fine on Gens and Kega though. *headdesks*

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, I take back what I said in the other thread. This is one of the best hacks I've ever played. The art and layouts are absolutely stunning, the music is totally on par (no, I'm not tooting my own horn :argh:), and everything about the game screams "Sonic!"

The tube-based loops are absolutely brilliant. I totally didn't expect them at all—great stuff!

6. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I can't wait to play this hack. I'm glad this was entered in my contest =) It looks absolutely sexy from what I'm seeing so far

7. SmashFGM

SmashFGM

Wow that is one nice hack. The layouts were fantastic, I love the new art. You have done a very good job.

8. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    One thing I don't like is the SAdv3 styled fields. They're cluttered and just.. I don't know. Not right.

Otherwise, I enjoyed what I played.

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I did suggest the use of big rings for the level maps. Maybe you could look at making them have a number such as 1 for Act 1 etc.

10. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    They were made days before the deadline. They're just not in yet.

11. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Well, with DNX saying he's "leaving the scene" and whatnot, now's as good a time as ever to put up another YouTube video for showing off WIPs, in case he doesn't come back for ages and I grow bored of hacking and drama drama drama. Aside from "You really need to learn to edit title cards; having more than one Emerald Hill 1 is lol," comments and criticism appreciated as always (read: taken offense to, met with rebuttal, spawn arguments).

I swore I'd stop putting up YouTube vids after sifting through tens of messages in my inbox asking for hacking lessons... I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

12. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    If you guys ever continue this, or if you just want to know, contact me on the title cards (read: I know how to edit them.). ;)

Otherwise, cool video, cool hack concept. ;)

13. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Wow, that looks really, really, awesome. That ARZ boss looks rather annoying though. I wanted to be the first to put Super Sonic in Sky Chase... but oh well. The art in general looks awesome. The layouts look fun, too.

14. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Wow, this really looks awesome. I love that Sky Chase! Maybe the enemies could drop rings to make it worth killing them (I don't know if you actually intended to implement that ;) ), because it looked like you wouldn't have enough.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why is that Super Sonic in sky Chase I see? Nicely done. My only problem is that I think the running sprites you chose for Sonic are just not good (There is a contrast in style between the original sprites and those Sonic 2 beta ones you put in. Mostly the Sonic 1 eyes become an issue). Other than that, fantastic.

Please finish. All the good hacks go in the crapper.

16. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Still looks awesome.
    One thing that did annoy me in the previous releases though was how fucking long the end of level bonuses take to be added to the total. And that that annoying Ristar tune plays during that.

Also Sonic Turbo is still fun and heaps of fun.

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    ... this is awesome. I love the idea of putting Super Sonic in Sky Chase, that was both great and unexpected. Also, while some of the music ports were less than decent, I'm seriously digging that rendition of Leaf Forest, and that song from Sonic Pocket Adventure, they're both used in your EHZ, and they're both very good ports, thumbs up!

<!--quoteo(post=237084:date=Oct 23 2008, 06:37 AM:name=Thorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thorn @ Oct 23 2008, 06:37 AM) [​IMG]

18. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    I guess I wasn't clear. The hack is most certainly not cancelled, else it wouldn't be a works in progress video. It's just that... well, I'm the only one left, so progress will be very slow. DNX is gone for some undisclosed period of time, and Stephen worked with the two of us for the whole of a day before we didn't hear from him again. Without new fancy-schmantzy art, I don't imagine it'll get the same attention on YouTube or Sonic Retro that it used to.

Fast-forward button on your emulator Fixed as of 10 minutes ago. It now counts by 20's instead of 10's, and runs a check after each decrement to see if the remainder is 10, at which point it decrements by 10.

Please don't remind me that I lack friends. :v:

Well, the worth is in the scoring system. Remember that in the original Sky Chase, if you didn't jump or step on a turtle's back, you could up the chain counter indefinitely for ridiculous scores. Now you get chains in that level by getting consecutive kills without letting a second go by between them. All levels in the hack have a scoring system similar to Sonic Adventure 2's, and I'm hoping to implement ranks eventually to make scores more important.

Ouch, assuming you meant "imports" by that. If you meant the Door Into Summer and S3K Boss ports, then I am really shit at this whole music thing.

Double ouch. Also, lol stuttering in a forum post.

Triple ouch. I figured everybody here knew that those two were Tweaker's. I joked about moving back to the Sonic 2 sound driver before, but that's starting to look more and more like a reality. I can't convert a MIDI to an XM to SMPS for the life of me, so I've been working in a hex editor for all of my imports. The three or four hours I spend on each of those could go towards new levels, which I haven't got much criticism on yet and a lot of compliments.

EDIT: Almost forgot. A cookie goes to the first person to state how I copped out a bit with my design for the Intro level.

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Wow, I didn't expect Super Sonic in Sky Chase, this hack makes me want to work on mine, but I don't have any ideas for it. :v:

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Ha, no wonder that Leaf Forest sounded so good then, since I imported that for Tweaker back in October 2007 :3