don't click here

Start crossing your fingers

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skaarg, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaarg

Skaarg

I'm surprised it hadn't been mentioned here yet.

http://kotaku.com/5062101/on-the-possibili...psn-sonic-games

This part "One thing we could do is make a game like Mega Man 9; do a new Sonic, but in an old style." is what I like the best. I'm not getting my hopes up too high yet, but it would be amazing if this got followed through.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    If I remember right, there was a followup to this by a SEGA rep that said there were no intentions to make a retro-style Sonic game, ala Mega Man 9.

Yeah, it sucks. :thumbsup:

3. Shade

Shade

Uh oh. I smell a Sonic 2 HD "cease and desist" in the making :thumbsup:

4. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Completely different interview by a completely different site (Gamespot) with a different person iirc, actually. One person says one thing, another says another, so who knows what'll happen.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    IIRC, he was talking about the current director of Sonic Unleashed, and he said that he wasn't interested in doing a remake (Meaning, he wasn't interested in doing Sonic 2 HD). They weren't even about the same subject.

As far as I know, he was separately asked about the possibility of doing an official Sonic 4 (or something like it) during every interview.

6. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Tenbux says they get lazy if they try and just publish Megamix.

7. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    It would fit their current generation gameplay and style. Buggy and incomplete!

8. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I swear I heard this before. I will shoot off their ball sacs and uteri if they attempt to publish megamix.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The people who would be interested already have it *for free* so it would be a foolish commercial venture; their only saving grace would be that they would have low overhead to do so.

10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    You mean illegally I take it? I think ScarredSun meant that they would pay the devs for it, though I think that's pretty unlikely personally.

Anyway we've already had this, Sonic Advance. Sure it was lower resolution, but it was pretty authentic to the original series.

11. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
  12. xcliber

xcliber

That may have been Sega's intention when creating Sonic Rush.
    Sonic Rush is pretty close to the retro sonic games. (not graphically but definitely in gameplay)

Sonic Advance also fits the bill. The GBA had a lower screen resolution than the Genesis.

13. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    You assume that everyone the world over knows of the hacking scene's existence. I'm sure they make a bundle off each straight compilation they put out biennially, so anything with actual new content would certainly push a few thousand copies!

The only real similarity between Sonic Rush and the classic games is that they're all 2D. Your sig needs more lens flare.

14. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    It'd be great to say that if you had a hack to compare it with.

Either way, 2D Sonic? lol not gonna happen.

15. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    I think that it would happen if someone with some sense got into the dev team. If not a new 2D game, at least something like Sonic Rivals. (Speaking of which, they should make Unleashed for PSP using bits and pieces of the Rivals engine, it could do it.)

16. Aile

Aile

Even Sega knows that the people want more memorabilia. The guy just threw the idea out there afaik though. I will DEFINITELY keep my fingers crossed, though it won't be easy, what with all these hacks among the internet...

17. Loggo

Loggo

Rafina
    Maybe it's for the best after all.
    The chances for an official Sonic 4 to live up to the expectations of the original games are pretty small anyway. Also a lot of key staff from the old days are missing and I'm almost sure Sonic Team isn't capable of doing it

18. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It isn't really like key staff members were shared between the first few projects. Whats more important than the old devs being there is a strong leader who understands what made the old games what they were and what can be done to add to the formula.

19. Loggo

Loggo

Rafina
    I agree with that, but that's pretty much what a key member is.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Strong leaders are good, but what about supplemental leaders? The Sonic games flourished with a combination of Naka and Yasuhara, but Naka got snippy and egotistical, forcing Yasuhara out of Sonic Team because he thought he "wasn't needed anymore." Ever since about that time, the Sonic series has gone in a drastically different direction with cooperation between Iizuka and Naka, up to the point where Iizuka became head and Naka went off and did his own thing.

In a way, Naka led to the fall of the Sonic series; at the same time, he was also the last thing keeping it alive. All we have now is fresh meat, and it's very clear that none of them know what classic Sonic was really about. If only we had Yasuhara back, or even Ohshima! That would be awesome. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.