don't click here

***Tech Demo First Release!***

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by LOst, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    That's like taking a baby to an olympic swimming race and telling it, "I don't care if you can't swim yet. I WANT RESULTS".

*throws baby by the legs and cracks its head on the side of the pool*

Obviously, we all want results.

But results only arise from effort. Effort has to be nurtured, encouraged, coached, supported and enthused with feedback and assistance in order for it to transform into something real and tangible. That's why the community has so much to offer the project through individual contributions.

2. m1ket

m1ket

INYOFACE! Member
    Kings+
    Sorry to jump straight into this topic without reading the whole thing.

Looking great guys, haven't had a chance to actually play it as of yet. About to install the dll needed.

Why have you guys gone for D3D and not OpenGL? Don't know if that person got the game working in WINE but I guess it would work if it was using OpenGL.

Is the programming in C++?

I'm gutted personally. Ever since I saw that HD mock up by that guy of the final stage, I have dreamed of doing this project as my final year dissertation at university (starting this year). Obviously I could still do this, but it takes a bit of gloss of doing it now. I would also feel rude towards you guys doing it publically in the Sonic community. I was actually going to see if I could get involved with yourselves on the project a few months ago, but things came up and I couldn't commit to it.

Right, lets go fire this thing up. I'll report back with my opinions! ;)

3. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    I'm just speaking as a third-party. Obviously, since I'm not involved in the project anymore and don't plan to be in the near future, I'm more concerned with how the project will turn out. I've given my input on how the development process should be done, but hey, that's just my suggestions based on personal experience. Do whatever you want, but I'm not the type of person to allow excuses based on circumstances.

Not that I'm saying it's bad or poorly made, but it's simply incomplete. I said the same thing about ProSonic, and I'm saying it now. I wish people wouldn't be so defensive when I say something like that, as if I was insulting their work or something. Not that I'm referring to you specifically, but it's happened way too often in general for me to be okay with it.

4. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    This was surprisingly good and I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously though, the 4x was the best and while I did spot a few issues with the physics and animations (About to fall animation on the left side of the ground curve) it's generally really well done. I also spotted no lag, and I'm not running that great of a PC either.

Keep up the good work.

5. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    I think the work you guys have done so far is the most impressive thing I have seen. It is a smooth, and accurate engine, and also it was nice to be able to play as Knuckles. I'm hoping to see very more of this project. I belive that it has great potential.

6. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I don't understand the requirements. It says in the first post that Sonic 2 HD requires pixel shader 2.0. Yet, I someone here ran it on a computer very similar to mine, with the radeon 7500. That card does NOT support pixel shader 2.0 by any means, so wtf?

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I turned off Pixel (Fragment) and Vertex shaders in winecfg and re-ran S2HD. There was absolutely no difference whatsoever. I think whoever added that to the S2HD requirements listing doesn't have a clue what a shader is and just added it because it "sounded good."

8. DjHeXy

DjHeXy

I'd just like to say thank you for sharing such an early development realease with everyone, I showed it to the lads in the office today and our jaws just dropped when that title screen launched in, its a remarkable effort ;)

I've got a few older machines to try it on which may assist in setting your minimum specs further down the line, I'll post the results soon ;)

9. SIX GIGAFLOPS AND A HIGH RESOLUTION VERTEX SHADING ALOGORTHIM ARE NEEDED FOR THE FULL VERSION

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A pause menu?! *RUNS*

Incidentally RE GAF - the place is FULL of Nintendo fanboy retards, I wouldn't take a word they say seriously.

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    "FULL of Nintendo fanboy retards"

As opposed to here, which is...

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    A great pause screen could be considered that amazing? Naah! :P It's miles further than that!

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I will give you full of retards at times, but we aren't Nintendo fanboys, and THAT is the part of GAF I cannot stand. =P

14. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    I just don't understand the point in this. It was posted on /v/ and didn't recieve a terribly positive response(but not the normal shitsux /v/ response either).

If it was Sonic 2 with REDONE graphics a bit like Sonic 1 Megamix did with Sonic 1, that'd be kind of cool. But all that's being done is that the graphics are being scaled up. And when this happens, then often tend to look cels from a cartoon because that's what people presume they would have looked like. But if you look at where Sonic has had more detail in his 2D stages, they have tried to make him look a bit more detailed. That's what kind of bothers me about the graphical style. There is a certain amount of grit in Sonic's art style compared to other cutesy platfomers, which makes it appealing.

I think it would be better just to create a whole new game instead of just redoing a game we've all played. I don't particularly want to replay Sonic 2 AGAIN in HD, and it probably won't look any better than using one of the upscaling algorithms emulators already have.

This too, it kind of annoys me. Do you really need that for a 2D game? If you're going to make full use of all kinds of cool effects, and use them properly, then maybe. But I don't see that happening. I bet any actual GPU based effects will just be used as work arounds for things that can be done just easily without.

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It will be considered amazing once flame wars on it start again *runs*

[quote post='226333' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:46 PM']
    I will give you full of retards at times, but we aren't Nintendo fanboys, and THAT is the part of GAF I cannot stand. =P[/quote]
    We're anti-new-school-Sega fanboys ;P

16. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    One step at a time! First we need a solid foundation that can faithfully resurrect the original (or we'll just end up like all the other generic sub-par Sonic fan games out there).

As we've already said, added game modes will be present to make it more fun and interesting than the original.

Then, once we have a level development kit, *maybe* something like this can be considered. We're a looooong way from that though.

This is not an official staff announcement, just my own personal thoughts.

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Except for the fact that shaders *aren't* used at all. The system requirements are wrong. Whoever put the requirements together doesn't know what a shader is; otherwise, they wouldn't have put it in the requirements.

18. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    1)This is Sonic 2 HD. The Legendary "Sonic The Hedgehog 2" REMAKE, and this is just the first Tech Demo of it.
    From next releases on, we will present so many new quality features, that telling him "you are upscaled!" it will be really unjust. (we will unveil new features pretty soon, don't worry! :) )

2)The Sonic character art I am drawing is still in WIP, but it still has not reached its first complete version. The completed version will be totally different in shades and shapes tweaks.

3)Doing this right is the first step for our Sonic HD Staff team to prove ourselves. Failing the project into a dispersive "New HD Sonic Game-levels-conceptual-ideas" would be pretty easy without a solid base (The original Sonic The Hedgehog 2 game).

4)We are now considering to create a Level Editor, so expect in the future to have "Brand New HD" playable levels.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You actually care about what /v/ says?

20. Sciz

Sciz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.