don't click here

New Sonic 1 prototype pics

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
  2. Dominus Draconis

Dominus Draconis

Call me strange, but it looks like, if you put those two side by side, they overlap and actually are part of the same map. I mean, look, the indent in the hill is even at the same spot. It seems to me like the two maps represent continued scrolling, but that they actually interestingly, tie into the zone at a point they both share (the hill, that is at the end of one and the start of the next).

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Another thing to keep in mind is that at this point the scans are somewhere in the ballpark of 17 years old if they're prerelease pics for Sonic 1. Some degredation of quality may have occurred from aging, as well as from other differences in printing technology at the time.

4. I think youre right.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    [​IMG]
    This image reminds me of GHZ's appearance in SSBB, although the bridge is a bit too far to the side. E:That in the final as well (except for the pink flowers and other lost objects as well). Been a while since I played Sonic 1.

6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I definitely think Sonic's standing sprite is different. In more than one shot, his face looks just slightly different, particularly the mouth and eyes.

7. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
  8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I agree, almost like how his eyes are in Sonic 2.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I've noticed that in this map which is formed by many screenshots, the background is "perfect" (we don't see the junction areas) and that suggests that there was not any king of bg movement at this stage, it was stopped like the sms games.

[​IMG]

10. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Also missing are the larger mountains

[​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT: I can't see any waterfalls either.

11. The Tjalian

The Tjalian

I have to say, I'm glad they added them in. I don't think they would have necessarily looked like mountains if it weren't for the bigger ones (I would have put them down as a rocky cliff instead).

12. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    The proto does have parallax, take a look at where some clouds are cut in half and you'll notice the entire background is cut off. The screenshots were just taken and overlayed in a way that the places being cut isn't well noticed

13. Dominus Draconis

Dominus Draconis

*wishes he had photoshop, so he could combine the two map pics and see if he is right in his theory that they are halves of the same image*(the hill at the end of one and the start of the next just seems to combine too perfectly, makes me wish I had photoshop so I could try combining them)

14. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

I'm 28 years old..
    This game is at least half that..
    Why the hell does this still interest me as much as it does!

Come on UFO's!!

15. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I am highly interested in this. Especially the proto LZ and SYZ look very interesting.
    Go for it drx!

16. DjHeXy

DjHeXy

these are brilliant, I've always wanted to play the marble zone with those ufo's n have a blast on the big sphere in ghz, for me, early sonic 1 screenshots are just fascinating, as its the game that started this whole thing :D

17. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Just do it in paint or something, I could. And if you don't like that try gimp.

18. SmashFGM

SmashFGM

The ufo's in Marble Zone return I wonder what purpose those ufo's had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.