don't click here

New Sonic 1 prototype pics

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I constantly research new protos, and a few days ago, I came upon entirely new Sonic 1 prototype pics.

They are from a magazine that I cannot disclose yet (I'm hoarding that information because I'll try to trace and get that proto, if possible, first), but I decided (against my judgement, I hope you appreciate that) to release the pics. If they look familiar to you, or you know where they are from, please don't make that info public.

I think I don't need to tell you how interesting those pics are. A few interesting tidbits are: the red thing in SLZ (that looks like a starpost or something), the weird laser/fire pillar in SYZ. And, we're getting quite nice maps of the proto, which isn't that bad. The white-background pictures were used instead of concept art, in the article. I censored some obviously so you don't guess which magazine it's from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Thanks man. Good luck getting more information!

3. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Will you ever cease to amaze us? (I sure hope not.)

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think that the red thing in that first SLZ pic is actually just a traffic cone, and I think those were in the final.

5. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Some of those aren't new, especially that minimap with the GHZ ball. I uploaded that to the wiki, but in a lower quality I believe.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Holy shit, amazing! I'm especially digging the clear view of Labyrinth Zone's old background. Like, I know it's a bit blurry, but now you can actually see what's there! And the clear UFO shots in Marble Zone are just as awesome!

As for that thing in Star Light... I reckon it's just a safety cone. That's what it looks like, anyway.

Great stuff! Here's hoping you have a solid lead on obtaining a proto. :)

7. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Isn't that red thing in SLZ just a traffic cone? It looks a bit odd because of the screen capture system they used, and possibly the printing and rescanning. Not sure if they're in the final or not; I think so.

The rest of those pics do look proto to me. I remember discovering a 'Let's Go' neon sign in Sonic 1's tiles a long time ago, perhaps it's from the same era as those pics with the Good Luck signs.

8. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    I think it's a different map.

Also, my bad about the cone. It looks weird I guess.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Five posts in a single minute. Wow. And also wow at Labyrinth's background. It's way better than the final one.

10. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    That 9th picture (Spring Yard Zone with two spike balls rotating about Sonic) looks interesting because of the positioning of the Score/Time/Rings display (off-left corner). What did Sega probably use to capture these screenshots?

11. [​IMG]

That's obviously a big red butt plug.

12. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

13. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  14. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Guess this means more changes for Mr. Needlemouse!

Fascinating finds as usual.

15. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Very awesome finds. What, I hope you get the proto, drx, because its been a long time coming for one. =P

16. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Lets wait till the source/date of scan is revealed along with un-whiteout version release before uploading to the wiki.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I think I've seen those before, maybe.

Anyway, good luck with your search!

18. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Yeah I think I have too, they seem familiar. Especially the GHZ layout ones. But, I never noticed that thing in SLZ before. It never hurts to re look at this stuff. Good luck getting the prototype Drx, I'll be rooting for you. :)

19. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=225670:date=Sep 16 2008, 03:26 AM:name=Quexinos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quexinos @ Sep 16 2008, 03:26 AM) [​IMG]

This is *not* the same map :P

20. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Initially Sega just used an ordinary 35mm camera to get pictures off a TV screen. These pictures were then scanned in for use in box artwork, adverts and magazines. If you look at the screenshots on the back of many older MD/Genesis boxes, you'll see the slight picture distortion caused by taking pictures of a TV screen.
    These screenshots don't show any signs of distortion though, which leads me to believe it was some more advanced capture system. UK magazines had a device that could plug into the RGB output of a MD1, and take very clear, emulator-like screenshots from the actual console. Later MD/Genesis boxes also had the screenshots taken in this way.

The hue/saturation differences are most likely due to printing and rescanning. For printing, an RGB image has to be converted to CMYK for the printing press to use. If the inks aren't exactly the same shades as the producer intended, you get a hue/saturation difference. It can also be caused by scanning the pictures into a computer, depending on how the scanner is set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.