don't click here

The Truth About Dust Hill Zone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    HAR HAR HAR I always considered that FAKE stuff to be garbage =P It doesn't make any sense to have a cool deserty name and intend to use it for a freaking CAVE when you have deserty level art in development...wrong reasons or not, the outcome's what matters.

Now look, Each and every one of those falling stage slots ('cept for the two without music) from Simon's beta once held level art. We just happen to know of ONE. What are the rest?
    THAT is what I always wanted to know.

But now that you're talking to the almighty Carol Yas himself, getting to know everything shouldn't be a problem anymore. He's litteraly the GOD of Sonic and the guy who said yes or no in the end; without him, Sonic would be like Bubsy. (=Like today.) I'm also pretty certain he remembers everything, this is his life's work he's still proud of.

10 years of Area 51! Or something

btw *cough* I ... have this level art, and...um...

2. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    the actual art or a remake? =P

3. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    Hah, you should know by now that actual Dust Hill art is but a mirage ;>

4. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    well anyone can remake the art, in fact a lot of people have.

5. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    A lot of people tried. In reality reproducing that art to look up to Sonic 1 or even 2 standards is ... a real bitch. It looks cool on a blurry screenshot or a TV and would feel right at home in a Jazz Jackrabbit game, but just doesn't look stylish enough when inserted into Genesis.

That's probably why it was canned, maybe it didn' look good enough for Yasuhara. *shrug*

6. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Sad, the level seemed pretty good.

7. I agree completely, but the size makes it pretty hard for just one person to go through. Which is why I was so keen on the community disasms svn - unfortunately it seems either that Tweaker/Scarred Sun were unable to talk to Stealth about uploading his disasm there, or else he didn't grant them permission.

8. Oh, wow, I really love this commercial. Thank you for this. What a ballsy move, buy a system and get Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 for free. What the hell ever happened to giving away two killer aps for a system purchase?

And hurray for Dust Hill Zone. Glad to see it lives... I always knew Dust Hill Zone was an actual level. I knew it in my heart. But that's why I never argued for it, because knowing something in your heart is both a shitty argument, and really gay.

9. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Does anyone have a copy of the full scan of the magazine the Dust Hill mockup came from? Surely it mentioned it there? I could have sworn it was called Dust Hill in that, but then we only bothered to pass around cropped versions of it.

I STILL Want to know where Iceknight got the idea Mystic Caves had a "Dust Hill" title card though.

I'd just be happy if people stopped adding bullshit to my article like NiktheGreek did. I'm going to fix it up today. I'm also not overly happy about being mentioned in DA RULES(or the way the rules are phrased in general for that matter, all the talk about WHINING and BITCHING sounds like an Internet Tough Guy Encyclopedia Dramatica article and it's "Butthurt", I mean we wouldn't have this information if it wasn't for my incessant bitching) I don't think certain aspects of my past DRAMA history with certain people and boards is all that necessary to have there.

10. Wetflame

Wetflame

Well if it's called "Dust Hill" it makes sense it's a hill with two types of dust! That's it's gimmick.

11. Gurluas2000

Gurluas2000

Iposatu the Demon Lord Member
    I remember reading an interview stating the two levels would not be close to each other like Hill Top and Emerald Hill so people would not notice the reused art.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's been already explained by many people. Aquatic Ruin had a Neo Green Hill title card, so you'd think that every level's title card had at least the same name than in the level select. It's just something obvious.

But this is a topic about a discovery, not about me. You don't need to mention me in half of your posts, really. :rolleyes:

13. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I havent heard anything about SegaFan magazine on the interenet, but theres alot of gaming magazines that just become forgotten. I know cause I had to make some wiki pages for magazines where there was no information for it on the internet.

Also, don't plug Wetflame on the wiki, he didn't do make the contacts, nor ask the questions.

SegaFan isn't gamefan, gamefan was never called that. It's probably some non-us magazine which only lasted the span of one consoles life.

14. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Because that makes up for a killer aps system =] BTW, from what I read at the end I think it was a limited run only.

Yes, we have to *runs*

15. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Clears alot up about Dust Hill, instersting find!

16. Wetflame

Wetflame

What? That title card was from a different beta to ours, who knows what they changed. Just because ONE had the same name as in our level select doesn't mean they all will, there's no reason to believe it. This is really non sequitor.

I mean, the whole point was that Dust Hill MUST be Mystic Caves because they made a title card for it. But if it wasn't intended to be, then obviously they would have given it the correct title card. I'm pretty sure there's mention of a beta that calls it Dust Hill in the level select and Mystic Caves in the title.

I hope we remember this in future. I really think we need to read up on some basic logic as a group.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Just wondering if the level select of a hack I made out of curiousity a while back helps anything:

[​IMG]

I altered a small amount of code in the Sonic 2 Final ROM to make all levels appear with original names, in the order they are stored on the ROM. I have NOT typed in any of the level names that appear here, these are as presented.

Notice DUST HILL and MYSTIC CAVE are listed separately, NEO GREEN HILL appears instead of AQUATIC RUIN, and SKY FORTRESS instead of WING FORTRESS.

18. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    We can't assume what were the unused slots supposed to be, and considering how mcz ended in the dust hill slot, I would say they changed the purpose of each slot constantly...

I'd be interesting to see the build where extra slots were first implemented (other than the ones of Sonic 1)... but god knows if that build actually exists.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    How do we know that? Seriously, I'm interested—I've messed around with the Wai proto more than once, and I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that. Do any of those levels have specific palettes loaded used nowhere else in the game? Do they have art calls other than the default or something? Details, details! :rolleyes:

Well, for the record, loading a Sonic 2 ROM into the original ESE level select editor does not constitute "a hack you made"... it would be a hack Esrael made.

And no, it doesn't prove anything, because, well... it's fan made. You know, not official? Yeah. That.

Huh... not entirely positive what you're getting at here. Are you saying that just because the title card has a name pulled from the level select, it must be true? Or are you saying the opposite? Because I'm of the latter—I think that when they were making the title cards, it's very possible they could have initially pulled the names from the level select for testing before they put in the real names. After all, we have the title cards with Neo Green H*** (=P) on them, but in Sonic 2 Beta 4 we have all the final Zone names on the title cards. I don't think there's a clear discretion to be made between the two, and as a result I wouldn't trust the title cards or the level select text.

Of course, not trusting either can make things a bit tougher to figure out, but I'm willing to take that chance. =P

And, re:contacting Yasuhara—once again, we'd like to ask more questions, but it is not as clean-cut as it seems. Give us some time to organize something and we'll do what we can to get the answers we want.

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Hm, the level order in the slots doesn't matter. Remember Sonic 1: 1-4-2-5-3-6. Moreover, Scrap Brain 3 is part of Labyrinth zone really. In short, this means any level could lead anywhere, so slot order didn't matter. Moreover, they could have been adding the slots in the order levels started being made.

So slot order doesn't matter =P