don't click here

Continuing K-E

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by saxman, Sep 3, 2008.

1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I have been hoping over the past few months that "someone" would continue K-E, the Kid Chameleon level editor I started but stopped working on. It hasn't happened, and it's killing me that it's just sitting there. Other than some minor things, the only major thing it needs is a compressor.

http://www.4shared.com/file/54087839/1c1061a5/Kesuite.html

That's the source code to the entire thing. Kidtool is the name of the tool that decompresses and extracts data from the ROM. My question isn't "who's willing to continue this", but simply "is my code too difficult to understand?" If someone is able to read the code clearly and understand from the source exactly how the level and art data is decompressed, they could get a sense of how to write a compressor for it. So that's where my interest falls -- how readable is the decompression code I wrote? Perhaps by knowing this, I can steer this source code in the right direction, maybe write some documentation, and hopefully with the right online community I can encourage someone to finish what I started...

http://kidchameleon.wikia.com/wiki/K-E -- it's an unfinished story that's very lonely right now. *tear* *sniffle*

2. Never give up, Saxman. Some day, this will be a fully featured level editor.

3. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Sometimes I wonder though, because there's interest in it, but nobody has ever said "hmm, I think I'll finish this". I guess the right kind of people aren't interested or don't know about it, but I also wonder if they can even understand my code. I'm not particularly good at commenting source code unless I personally need it to remember stuff.

4. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Uh, I hope you put that under some kind of Copyleft liscense? If you just went LOLHERE and posted it public domain, someone might whore it.

5. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I didn't put it under a licence because I'm not worried about that. If someone claims it, well, a lot of people already know who REALLY did it. That's all I care about. I'll gracefully allow them to make asses of themselves if they in fact choose to do that =)

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That sounds like something Elisha Gray would say... =|

I also think you should do something so it can't be stealed.

7. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Yeah dude seriously, at LEAST put it under the BSD liscense or something.

8. Christuserloeser

Christuserloeser

9. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    The GPL is 17kb mumbo-jumbo. You had better write your own license, and not "this license is made to protect the user's freedoms" bullshit.
    Well, I could try to hack k-e someday, but I have never finished Kid Chameleon completely, so I worry I miss too much
    and hacking will not go well because I don't know what comes after a point.
    It will surely be continued someday, there's interest in it, just give it time.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Why 2.0 rather than 3.0, or did you just link the wrong license =P

11. Christuserloeser

Christuserloeser

Oh, they're all good ^ ^

- Here's v3.0: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt

Yeah, what a bullshit. :)

12. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    The GPL is kool aid. I just suggested the BSD liscense because Saxman doesn't seem to give a shit what happens to his code, but that way he could at least retain credit for the original work.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The GPL is retarded because anyone who uses or modifies your source code in any way is forced to also release the entirety of their source code, whether they wanted it to be or not. A more reasonable license would be one that only requires you to release portions that you edited of the originally licensed code (which is a license that I think exists, but its name slips my mind at the moment).

I joked about this in the Megamix thread—if we were to release the source to Megamix, then anyone who uses any portion of it would have to release the source to their hacks. It would literally destroy the Sonic hacking scene.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's the LGPL.

15. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Woah, guys, Steve Balmer has hyjacked Tweaker's account! :)

In all seriousness, the GPL can be a wonderful thing when used responsibly. Some projects thrive on the idea of "many eyes", and hoarding code would kill them. However, it's not the be all to end all, and that's why there are other liscenses!

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I think this topic misses the point. I am just curious if my code's readable?

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually, I don't think it applies retrospectively. People would only have to do so if they'd used the source AFTER the GPL'ing, not before it.

18. Christuserloeser

Christuserloeser

Um, no.

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Wow, that's a GREAT way to use a trial post: flippantly dispute something an Admin says! I bet he's really impressed.

20. Christuserloeser

Christuserloeser

Well, I will have to accept the consequences. I stand by my post though. Using the GPL would not harm the hacking community. In fact, it would improve it beyond our imagination. - Imagine SEGA would have GPL'd the Sonic games back in the day.