don't click here

Robotnik vs. Eggman

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skywatcher, Jul 11, 2008.

Which name do you prefer/use/etc.?

1. It's Dr. Robotnik, silleh. You needs an evil name to be evil. Yeesh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, it's Dr. Eggman. He looks like an egg for cripes sake!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who ACTUALLY cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    Y'know, you prove a very valid point. It's just a shame that they don't have him refer to himself as Dr Ivo Robotnik, but have him include the nickname also. For example;

"I am Dr Ivo Robotnik, otherwise known as Dr Eggman."

Of course, that would be for him introducing himself to newer characters. It's good to know they refer to the family name of Robotnik in SA2 and Shadow when speaking of Gerald and Maria. Shame they don't do the same for ol' Ivo...

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    They also reference it in the episode Sonic Breakout by making Robotnik into Humpty Dumpty for laughs.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Also Robotnik loves eggs in AoSTH. It seems like that's the only thing he'll eat for breakfast. Also he has his Eggomatic hover craft

4. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    slightly off topic: if "Eggman's" family name is Robotnik in the west what is it in Japan? Maria Eggman?

5. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Only playing Sonic 1, 2, 3, and S&K (not counting handhelds), it's always been Dr. Robotnik to me. Actually, I don't like the name "Eggman" and I've never heard anyone outside the internet use it. When my brother and I talk about him, we call him Robotnik. When I talk to people about how awesome Sonic 2 is, we call him Robotnik. It just doesn't seem right to me to call him Eggman.

6. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

[​IMG]

A handy reference for any future discussions of this.

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    It's still Robotnik.

8. Flare

Flare

Yeah, Eggman isn't a translation of Robotnik.

Personally I use Dr Robotnik more because I grew up with it, but I know that he will be called Eggman more because that's the name they have chosen to be the more commonly used, but I would like him to use it more when hes making formal speeches.

9. Ivo Robotnik sounds like a real person's name, abeit a russian one. Eggman has a sort of Dick Dastardly charm to it, so I'm good with either.

I feel it's also worth noting that Eggman rolls off the tongue better, and that Robotnik, though it sound like it could be a real family name, it's still possibly one of the worst puns I've ever heard.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...He was "Robotnik" in some of the old games as well, namely Triple Trouble (Robotnik Winter) and Sonic the Fighters (Robotonic).

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's also worth noting that "Robotnik Empire" scrolls by during Robotnik's annoucement of doom in Sonic Adventure 2 during the Arc Cannon firing sequence, see 0:05 to 0:09 in this video, and at several other points:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=53OjnId6Bho

12. AzureJericho

AzureJericho

Brooklyn, New York
    Wrapped In Black (Tentative Title for whenever I get this project going), Life, and Work.
    Ro-butt-nik anyone? Seriously, Eggman's a nickname to me. Leave me in my childish ignorance.

13. Chronoja

Chronoja

My vote is on Robotnik. Like most people its the name I called him from childhood

Robotnik just sounds much more official, and Dr. Robotnik has a much more menacing and dangerous tone to it. Eggman sounds silly, when I hear that name I think of a kid painting faces on eggs. Dr. Eggman gripes me most though, I can tollerate Eggman, even during the genesis years I was aware of the name differences, but there was almost a cultish feel to it by not having anyone say it, like knowing that Bowser was King Koopa...but you didn't need to be running around calling him that.

If I'm honest I was more fond of the whole "fake" western continuity that got unfortunately got retconned

But anyways, as it seems Robotnik isn't going to stick any more, the way things are going. Just have to put up with the Eggman stuff.

14. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Robotnik is the polish word for "worker".

But that's just as corny as eggman ;)

lol

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That is the most epic piece of text I have ever read. XD

16. The Seeker

The Seeker

Well, originally, his hame was Dr. Ovi Kintobor, until that freakish R.O.C.C. accident...(if you don't know what I'm talking about, read up on your fleetway!)

17. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    Eh, America was kinda making a joke seeing how Ivo is Ovi backwards which means Egg in some language, and if you don't think that's true look up some words with Ov or Ovi in them, mostly words dealing with eggs or well... yeah kinda hard to explain it if you can't spell it...

Anyways, I call him Robotnik when I'm refering to the TV show and Eggman when I refer to the games, but I still think either name does fine because you know who is being talked about no matter who says what. And if you think Eggman sounds childish as a name, then you're neglecting the fact that Sonic is a game targeted towards kids.

18. Digital Xeron

Digital Xeron

[An error occurred while processing this custom ti Oldbie
    Unicomplex One, Canada
    Digibase Operations (TSZP)
    Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik

Whereas "Robotnik" is his real name and "Eggman" is his nickname.

Just to throw the idea out there: It seems as if after SA2:B, he pretty much stopped using his Robotnik name -- perhaps in disgrace of what his grandfather did under the Robotnik name. and proceeded to strictly use his Eggman name.

19. Moogle!

Moogle!

RRrrrobotnik Roooobotnik RAHH RAH RAHH!

Always Dr. Robotnik to me. Some of us aren't weeaboo that take everytrhing from Japan as gospel. :p On the other hand, I'm utterly shocked at all the Robotnik support here. It makes me smile.

20. I don't really care unless it's in certain context, like AoSTH/Satam/Underground being Robotnik.

Otherwise I happily use both names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.