don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woot

Woot

<!--quoteo(post=215528:date=Aug 11 2008, 07:23 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Aug 11 2008, 07:23 PM) [​IMG]

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That looks way too much like plastic, in contrast to the faded metal you'd expect it to be. I don't really like it. :\

3. Woot

Woot

Is it worth improving on? Perhaps I could upload the PSD and have someone improve it.

4. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
  5. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Yup. Please read the contribution guidelines - thank you for the effort though.

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hi Woot!

Too many gradients are discouraged due clashing issues with the rest of the art. But apart from that I really like the shape you created! :thumbsup: , just some fixes to do:

1)Get a Metallic shading effect
    2)Lowering the gradient use
    3)Add glass

Please continue improving it, your artistic skills are really welcome to S2HD! :)

You can try putting this eggman's frame into the cabin to check it!

P.s. You can upload the .PSD file on the database when you feel it's a completed version!

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I like your "Egg Mobile (?)" but the front part needs work, also, I LOVED the seat (and it seems to be very comfortable xD)!

Thanks for your effort.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's a great start. And it almost looks CG! I'd personally love to see it finished with this style since it's, well, an inanimate object.

Also, you might want to have a try with some background objects as well.

9. Woot

Woot

Thank you all for your constructive critisism. Is this any closer to what you wanted? Sorry if it isn't, I've never done this cell shading style before.

[​IMG]

10. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    The design is great, but I'd try to make it look a little more metallic. Something of a mix between that and the previous one, with less gradient and more 'shine'.

Also, man, those waterfalls look beautiful.

11. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Well, as a base is fine, but now much of the original shades are wrong.

my suggestion is to follow the original light spots and colors to replicate the metal effect! :)
    The use of less gradients is nice, but you can add some more to it!

P.s. ICE this frame has been ripped directly from the rom, it's the hidden main boss veichle where all bosses are based from.
    (the only addition I did was removing eggman from it)

12. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    I agree that some of the outlines are a little too thick, and that the face lines should be straightened.

It is coming along great however.

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  14. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Here it is with Eggman edited out. I'll ask Sanik to replace the one on the database with this

[​IMG]

15. Woot

Woot

I'm sorry, I was clearly in a rush. Perhaps it's because I should've been working but I just can't stop playing around with this thing haha. I've added more detail and tried to make it look a bit grittier to have that metal look.

[​IMG]

16. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    You should first replicate the colours of the original sprite.

For example, you have replaced the white shine on the original sprite with light grey. And then you replaced black semi-sphere at the bottom with dark grey.

Keep exactly the same colours. Then just add in-between shades to bring out the shiny apperance of the metal.

The shape of this is also different to the original in many places. Probably the best way to preserve the shape of the original is to have the original sprite as a layer in Photoshop. Then reduce the opacity of that layer to about 70% or so. Then simply trace over it. And then add in the colours as they are in the original sprite, then adding in between shades.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The lack of shadows in there is caused in part by the edited "original" sprite LOst provided (note how some of them are missing in both).

Please verify that the original sprites you're using as reference aren't wrong before starting to work on them, and never submit edited sprites as the "original content to follow" (unless specified in the description). Now Woot has to change the tones and add another shade, we don't want any contributors to waste their precious time because of stuff like this.

18. Woot

Woot

Thanks for the advice. I'm now working from the new image.

[​IMG]

19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Nice! :)

Go on improving it!!

20. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
Thread Status: