don't click here

xdaniel's untitled Sonic 2 hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by xdaniel, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xdaniel

xdaniel

I originally wanted to give a status update of some kind much earlier already, but... stuff prevented me from doing so - that "stuff" mainly being me completly killing the game somehow, code-wise... It crashed in the intro, before even the title screen came up, and all levels suddenly auto-scrolled to the top of the level, effectively killing Sonic not a second into the zone.

A fresh s2.asm later, plus the few important changes kinda backported to it, and the game works again.

On the subject of progress, MCZ2 - well, Mint Chocolate Zone Act 2, not Mystic Cave :P - is halfway done. The level layout is there, all it needs now is being populated by objects. So far, you could say that especially the first half of the stage is speed-based, while the second half encourages/is meant for exploration, featuring two paths and a few secrets and such... I don't know if it's as good as MCZ1 though, but we'll see.

2. I like the design theme you have here. You've catered for the classic platformer fans as well as mixing in some of the concepts of Sonic level design. I love the palette you've created for EHZ1. It's not too monotonous and is easier on the eye than the original Sonic 2 palette, which is good! It's great so far, I hope you get a few others to help you if you think you're not good with art, the palette you've made so far is really good though.

Off-topic : I forgive your mis-spelling of chocolate - considering that the German is Schokolade. :v:

3. Aerolite

Aerolite

Feel teh powah! Tech Member
    Ack. I myself very-nearly did something similar just yesterday (nearly replaced every occurrence of 'a0' with 'a1' -_-"), however thanks to a backup copy I had, all ended up ok. Regular backups ftw :)

I agree with Lord Sloan; you're catering for numerous types of Sonic level awesomeness, which is a nice thing to see. On a side note, are you planning to/wanting to add any new techniques to your hack (I.e. special moves, etc)? If so, I may have something that you can use; once I optimize and clean the code, that is.

4. xdaniel

xdaniel

Let's see: Mint Chocolate Zone 2 is pretty much done. Mostly everything is in place, but I consider adding in a few more "semi-secrets" or little goodies inside the level.

Now, Chemical Plant is an altogether different beast... It's, like, not only kinda insane when you play it for the very first time, but also when you try to create a level based on its level chunks and such. I've cleared the whole first act, only leaving the end-of-act signpost, like I did with EHZ/Mint Chocolate, but now I'm very much stuck as I don't really have any idea how to design a level around CPZ's features... Might as well have a different level as the second one in the game and modify that, or I could try porting one (minus its layout) from another Sonic game in there or something - might be some good practice for me.

Edit: Well, actually... just try Mint Chocolate out for yourselfs: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/s2built_12082008.rar - don't try playing CPZ though ^^"

5. Sun

Sun

Mint Chocolate 2 is rather decent; I thought it flowed nicely, and I found quite a few boxes hidden here and there. However, I think you are going a little overboard with the pits, mainly with the pits that are higher up the level(like the one near the start). Often, I would jump into a hole, expecting a downward path of some sort, but instead I just get a bottomless pit. Plus, you might want to do away with the spikes above the ramps, as no one will usually see those coming, and it somewhat breaks the flow of the level.

But otherwise, GJ. Keep it up, and we could have a decent hack on our hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.