don't click here

Video Tutorials

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Qjimbo, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Here.

Not many done yet, but I thought I'd post what I'd done so far for some feedback and to check whether people think I'm approaching this in the best way etc.

I'm hoping to go on to do more advanced tutorials with SonED2 as well as tutorials with SonMapEd for art editing.

I'm also in the process of uploading these on youtube, the resolution is lower but they're still understandable (I hope!)

Anyway let me know what you think!
    ~Q

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This is a really nice idea. I know I had no idea how SonED2 worked before watching this (though admittedly I've not exactly looked into it before now =P)

3. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    The Video Professor of the Sonic scene ^_^

4. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    That's really cool. I wish I had something like that when I started out. I actually learned something I didn't knw about with Soned2.

5. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    This is a great idea actually. I never would have considered it myself. Now maybe less people will make screwups when there's an answer already out there(I've done it millions of times). Might I suggest making a video showing the art in GHZ being replaced, and actually working in game? Because I've already deleted all that art and replaced it countless times and yet it always shows up screwed up, even though it works in other levels.

6. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Aah, these will be helpful. I have a question though...

When the art for GHZ is merged, and we see it in SE2, are those coloured squares animated blocks? I used to think it happened due to me doing something wrong.

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Yep, they're placeholders for dynamic art.

I'll probably make some kind of bat file that uncompresses, re-splits the GHZ art, then recompresses it to allow GHZ art editing in SonED to be a bit more painless. If it's that simple anyway.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Qjimbo, I'm impressed with your video tutorials, will you be making any Sonic 2-specific tutorials?

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Cool Qjimbo! Perfect tutorial. Also, what a peculiar accent o.O. Can you do a tutorial about the tile editor after?

10. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    If you get the time, can you do the same for Marble Zone? That would help me (and probably others) a lot.

Anyway, I like the direction this is going in. It's very helpful to newbies.

11. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Only Green Hill Zone's art is split into two files, so there's no need for that.

12. Excellent work Qjimbo, this is the kinda stuff that gets me interested in doing hacks. Simple, hands on kinda stuff. Good show.

13. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Oh derp I thought he was talking about the dynamic art placeholders. :v:

14. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Qjimbo nice videos my friend! I might just have to start work on my Sonic 1 hack again :)

15. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    These are excellent! Maybe I'll get back to working on my own hack.

16. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    *bump*

I still am looking forward to the tool that splits the ghz files again, as I am too dumb to figure out how that works, and I got a lot of art I want to see in-game now. Don't give this up!

17. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

No I'm not giving this up, don't worry! Just been working on an overhaul of SSRG to really do the tutorials justice in terms of fitting them into the new framework of the site. Stay tuned =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.