don't click here

Eggman/Robotnik designs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SegaLoco, Jul 11, 2008.

Well, which one is it?

1. Genesis/Saturn era

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cartoon/Mean Bean Machine Version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dreamcast/Current era

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sonic '06 Version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A SoundBlaster Live underneath his moustache. ;P

Nah, I hated the SatAM Robotnik. There's only 2 good ones - the original one and the AoStH one. Modern Robotnik is OK but not as good as the other 2.

2. Ice God

Ice God

Earthbound Fanboy Banned
    Personal obligatory Tier list

God Tier:
    [​IMG]
    High tier:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mid Tier:
    [​IMG]
    Alien Tier:
    [​IMG]

This list is based on appearance, not actually personality or mentality, as this thread is merely about design.

3. Jenna

Jenna

Yeah, I'm that sexy. Oldbie
    America
    level layouts, life
    I loved cone-head Robotnik.

Other than that, I don't like how he looks at all. He's just to... stupid looking. If you want a badass antagonist, make him look like a badass rather a disgruntled old man who tinkers in his parents basement.

4. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    I've always loved the original rendition because it is simplistic and it was the first image of Robotnik/Eggman I ever saw. It's easier to draw a round man with a mustache and glasses than anything else as a 5-yr old child.

5. Ice God

Ice God

Earthbound Fanboy Banned
    And why aren't you playing Kirby..?

He's in high tier just cause he's freaking hilarious to look at. Otherwise he'd be mid-tier. Also, I always like AOSTH more than Satam.

6. Jeiku

Jeiku

Original game design, by far. I think most incarnations of Robotnik/Eggman fits their respective era (even the '06 Eggman seemed to fit the game, in its odd little way), and I especially loved his SatAM redesign to fit his more evil nature. But I never thought of the game Eggman as anything of a "badass" or "pure evil incarnate," and always saw him as merely a goofy villain with some smarts up his sleeves. The current Eggman looks more like that, but still has that dorky personality with only a few moments of actual badassery, so for some reason his post-1998 design doesn't click with me as well.

7. Vangar

Vangar

The character designs include personality and all traits. They have to design and create their personality too, right down to selecting voices and how they walk and act towards others. That's all in design.

8. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    In the original selection provided, I'd say it's a tie between the original Robotnik/Eggman and the Adventure styled Eggman. The Mean Bean version looked horrible in my honest opinion, and the '06 version of Eggman is even worse.

As for the SatAM rendition of Dr Robotnik, I agree that this variant has to be the most sinister looking AND sounding. This is bearing in mind that the overall tone of the SatAM cartoon was much darker than that of the videogames. Yes, it had its slapstick moments, but the general feeling of this cartoon is deadly serious, whereas the videogames, although it's meant to be a somewhat serious plot (Even though Sonic games didn't have a real plot until Sonic 3...), it felt a hell of a lot more bright and cartoony.

So for the slapstick/cartoon-like appearance, both official game looks tie, and the Mean Bean variant sits nicely in a pool of crap. And the '06 design can be ignored altogether for obvious reasons. But for a more serious tone, I think the SatAM Robotnik wins hands down for both appearance AND voice.

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Either pair Original Robotnik's design with SatAM Robotnik's attitude or just leave him classic.

10. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    The Archie/SatAM Robotnik was pretty wacky sometimes
    [​IMG]
    That'll show them!

11. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    The Genesis one, obviously, as that is how Robotnik was created by the designers of Sonic (all the Genesis/Saturn desgins are the best, due to the same reason). The rest were just made by associated people and should not be viewed as the 'real' design.

Otherwise I like the 'Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog' design too, but just for the cartoons or if they decided to use it in non-serious spin-offs, like Mean Bean Machine. I do not think it would fit into a regular Sonic platformer.

The current one now still looks fine anyway, but just not as good as the past ones. Again, the rest of the characters, like Sonic, are like this too. Personally, I do not understand why they have not gone back yet. The Dreamcast "rebirth" of Sonic is long dead now and no one fondly remembers the Dreamcast games much anymore (if they put them on XBLA, I am sure they would sell poorly compared to the 16-bit ones).

The Sonic 06' design is horrible, it could have been interesting, but they fucked it up.

The SatAM one is beyond horrible and does not fit the character at all, just like all of SatAM. It looks exactly like a bad fan fiction character.

12. Jumbo pikachu

Jumbo pikachu

I would have to got with the STAM version it looks more intimidating than the other four which look comical.

13. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    The Sonic series is not supposed to be "dark and serious".

14. Skaarg

Skaarg

see: Shadow the hedgehog..

Anyways I'd say going strictly on art the Genesis/Saturn era Robotnik is my favorite. The AoStH robotnik would be my 2nd favorite for srawing style because it still kept the cartoony non-dark and serious that I enjoy. Knowing the classic robotnik won't come back I felt the Sonic 06 eggman had potential to be a really good design, but like some other parts of Sonic 06 it got butchered.

15. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    The Genesis Robotnik is his best design, as it suits his character perfectly.

AoStH Robotnik is hilarious, though.

16. Ice God

Ice God

Earthbound Fanboy Banned
    In all seriousness, I like SA Eggman best. But I like the classic Robotnik's personality best.

Or AOSTH. Either AOSTH as a joke Eggman, or classic as a serious villain.

With SA design.

17. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    [​IMG]
    This one

18. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
  19. Shade

Shade

I have to admit I thought the '06 version was pretty rad insofar as portraying the good doctor in an offbeat realism approach, but nothing will ever top the classic genesis/saturn era.

However, the current/dreamcast version is a fine update of the character. I'm satisfied all around.

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    [​IMG]
    Or maybe this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.