don't click here

The last official classic Sonic pic...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    While browsing through Google Images, I came across the Sonic Gear site and found by accident something that I'm sure has been overlooked my many. Just take a look at the cufflinks with the usual Sonic Adventure artwork and then look at the JP-Gear patch.

What's that? Same official drawing, different Sonic styles. Who knows, it might have been made during the development of Sonic World, when it still hadn't been transformed into Sonic Adventure... Or during the development of SA, right before somebody had the idea of destroying Sonic's appeal shanging his design.

I wish somebody could scan that patch so we could see it in detail, but in the meanwhile I've just attached that pic with a sligthly better perspective.

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Hmm...I should show that to Fantasy, she was doing something of a blend between retro and modern styles, and that's exactly it right there.

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
  4. Ashura2k

Ashura2k

Thants. Oldbie
    And I always thought it was Sonic Pocket Adventure. Nice find, Iceknight.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I have to be honest, it looks like they just drew classic Sonic with slightly longer than usual quills. But it does look like some kind of missing link between the old and new styles. And I'm going to have disagree with you're evaluation of the SA1 design, it wasn't until SA2 that it became FUBAR, although it would be cool if someone could do a simple SA1 hack to make Sonic's eyes black.

6. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    You seem to ignore that he's in the same exact pose that in the first artwork of SA-Sonic was.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I thought that was a classic pose. Maybe I'm just thinking of this picture? Or maybe Sega has been successful in making me think there was never a change! (See Amy's flashback, SA1).

Was "welcome to the next level" a Dreamcast or Saturn slogan?

8. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    [​IMG]

If I recall correctly, I think that art was drawn just for Joypolis. :X

9. cmd

cmd

It was definitely used for Genesis.

Though I'm not sure if it was recycled or not.

10. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    What do you mean "last" ? Sonic 2 Dash and various other forms of media (like Archie) draw 'classic' Sonic at times.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  12. Awesome, thanks!

13. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    Wow, new old stuff. Been a while since I've seen that happen.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Last before the other style appeared.

15. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Very interesting stuff here. Wonder at what point they first decided on, say, the green eyes, which are one of the defining features of the new design.

(And it must be said, "Welcome to the next Sweets" is the most hilarious tagline ever. :P)

16. That image would have looked much better on Sonic Adventure's booklet, than the whatever-the-hell-he's-doing pose they ended up using. The in-game model dosen't even look like it does on the game's cover. It looks more like that candy image.

And yes, F.Beyond. 'Welcome to the next sweets' is in fact the best tagline ever.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
  18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The images seen here remind me of Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Adventure for the Neog Geo Pocjet Color.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Why? Doesn't Sonic Pocket use regular Sonic Adventure artwork?

We know that early versions used more classic-like sprites, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.