don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    Yeh, I do mean snare drum.

EDIT: There's a bass drum. I couldn't hear it much. Maybe it's just me.

2. I cut the bass drum a bunch because I thought it was booming too much. I'll experiment with cutting the snare and boosting the kick slightly.

3. mario

mario

Again, having some fun:

This is my beta of CPZ. Melody and arrangements are incomplete towards the end of the song.

Some explanations... I've always felt this one like a rock/funk style song. That's what I'm trying to achieve at this attempt. Also, I'm following recomendations of the project summary: "intended instruments, overall style, some additional arrangements" rather than a synthtized remaster. Not that I'm against something or I dislike remasters. It's just how I see things :rolleyes:

Drums/Tambourine/Slap Bass
    Lead: saw synth
    Rhythm: 2 Guitars (the one in the left channel is an entirely new arrangement. I love it :P )
    Arrangements: Rock Organ and Brass Section.

Enjoy and comment ;)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/12/1956908/cpznew4.mp3

4. Holy cheese Mario, I think you pretty much nailed Chemical Plant Zone. And I am diggin' that thing you did at the very end of the song.
    Really, this is excellent man. The only thing that is a bit iffy to me is the lead. It just seems a bit *too* "virtual" so to speak. I personally really love all the other instruments, especially the ones at the intro. Is that still the saw synth though for the beginning lead? It doesn't sound quite the same if it is. Regardless, that part sounds perfect though.

I really love that new arrangement you added too. And what's great about it is that it isn't too loud, you know? So it doesn't take away from the main melody. You actually know what you're doing, and that added bit fits perfectly with the original track. And that's what we need here. If people are going to add their own things to the songs, do it like Mario did. Make sure it doesn't distract from the main melody and be sure it fits in with the song like a glove.

So anyways, I can't really offer much technical advice when it comes to the music here, but I can say that this sounds freakin' awesome. Keep it up and I can't wait to play in CPZ with this blaring outta my speakers.

5. mario

mario

Hey Wanderer, thanks for the feedback.

The saw synth just "sings" the main melody. The main intro riff is played by both the organ and the brass section. When the main melody starts, the intro riff is played by the organ alone and the brass section joins the guitar in some arrengements, just like the original.

The saw synth was a bit raw and opaque without effects, so I tried adding a phaser and a bit of distortion. I'll turn these down a bit. Actually I can easily choose another instrument for the lead. I think a better sounding synth or a lead guitar will fit.

Now I'll try to complete the melody (painful pitch bends) and the remaining arrangements. I'll also post a compilation of my enhanced previous attempts now that I'm getting used to FL Studio.

I wrote the drums for the SuperSonic theme yesterday. SuperSonic is meant to be fast, unforgiving, angry, bad ass. I see it as a hardcore rock song. What do you think?

6. I think a lead guitar could actually work great! Perhaps give it a shot?

And yeah, I agree about the SuperSonic theme. I'd love to hear a rocked-out version of it.

Can't wait to hear more stuff from ya! :rolleyes:

7. Magitek

Magitek

USA
    Holy crap, I'm looking forward to the completed melody and arrangements... :thumbsup:

8. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

Well, I was just thinking, are we limit us to one track per stage? If we're not going to have any additional single-player mode (some kind of New Game+ thing) that would be alright, but seeing as we got a couple of versions of most songs now, I wonder if it could work that we use one track for every act, like in Sonic 3,

Now, if I've understood the situation right, there's gonna be a "Original Mode" and a "Extended Mode" (where f.ex Hidden Palace Zone is going to be included). It could work in this "Extended Mode".

My thoughts of this first came up when I was listening to Tweakers (and some other guy that made something like his) Hidden Palace Zone rendition, and thought it sounded more fast-paced then I would imagine it doing. I'm guessing you guys like the fast-paced HPZ remix, so a Act 1 rendition and a Act 2 rendition could work, Act 1 being a slower-paced version of the song (that sounds more like the original) and Act 2 being the fast-paced that we have ready right now.

Just a thought. I don't wanna touch "Original Mode" with this kind of treatment, and guess why.

9. I think that'd be a good idea once we've got a bunch of good tracks for each Zone and we finish work on Vanilla Sonic 2 and start work on the Extended stuff.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hey, here's a lame version of MCZ 1P that I did, this time just seeing what I could eke out with Modplug for an XM file. Figured I may as well post it as anything.

I think some of the effects are used incorrectly; again, feel free to download and edit the raw file if you wish.

XM: http://www.box.net/shared/5g4kpff6s8

OGG: http://www.box.net/shared/xapbaduf4w

11. I'd like to see attempts at different songs, there seems to be an overflow of Mystic Cave Zone and Chemical Plant Zone, how about someone try the options screen? Only seen like two attempts at that.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I won't even touch the menu screen or WFZ until I get GPO (http://www.garritan.com/GPO-features.html).

I might go ahead and try SCZ though'.

13. Denten02

Denten02

Secret Project
    Hello! I wanted to see if I was able to contribute to the project. Currently I only have a version of Wing Fortress Zone I did recently.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/7/1993...ress%20Zone.mp3

While I think its pretty good critique is encouraged in my case. I did do a version of the Zone clear music as well, but that didn't turn out as well. Blech.

But regardless, enjoy and tell me what's good and what needs improvement if needed!

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's good other than the fact that the brass sample is honestly rather weak; it's not full enough in the lower registers and so feels rather flimsy.

If that could be fixed it would be pretty damn good indeed, hence my looking for GPO.

15. I would just like to say that I have been listening to these remasters yesterday/today, and a lot of them are absolutely superb. I don't have time to go into details now, but if you don't mind, I'd like to give my opinions on them when I actually have time to sit down and write them out properly (possibly later today/tomorrow).

Aside from that, you guys are doing a great job with this. Keep it up. :colbert:

16. Just to say I'm still hangin; sorry I've got little to show for the last coupla weeks: been on other things.
    I'm on vacation from work now, so revisions and other tunes are coming soon.

17. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Wow, I actually really like this one. The beginning sounds a bit off, but the drum use is exceptional. Something in between what you and Tweaker have would be ideal.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  19. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Eh, this needs a little work. The opening seems a little too 'loud', and it doesn't seem to flow very well. I'd try to make it a little smoother.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Once again it's probably got a lot to do with the fact that the brass samples aren't that great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.