don't click here

Disney Adventures "Behind The Scenes" Scans

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Miles McCloud, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I figured it would be best to make a new topic on this rather than derail the "Sonic Jam Commentaries" thread further. Here are the rest of the scans I promised to post. It is probably best for me not to comment on them, since I'm not really all that knowledgeable on the subject anymore.

In short, they are the context for this picture:

EDIT:

Server Exploded...see mirror below

I apologize for the poor quality of the pages. Also, I was wrong in that the article was expressly about Sonic 2, I hadn't looked at these pages in years. The authors don't even mention that they're at Sega, let alone that the game under construction is apparently Sonic 2.

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Is that Spencer Nielsen in the 2nd magazine scan in that 2nd photo?

[​IMG]

It looks painfully similar. The person with him might also be David Young. It looks like there's a Sega CD under the Genesis ontop of the TV.

3. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Hehe, that's neat, seeing the non-cartridge form of those ROMs in the genesis.

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Mirror please.

5. Moogle!

Moogle!

I've always wondered in what manner the music was put in the game.

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    So many Sonic 2 protos (in that room) =P

7. Silver Dreams

Silver Dreams

lol, Forum Drama Member
    Is that a sprite being worked on on panel 1 of page 2, or is she working on some sort of box art? It looks like a sprite, but I don't think I remember that pose.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I want that poster that's on the wall in the background of the first photo on page 3.

9. Tanks

Tanks

Consider that seconded... I'm desperate for a Sonic 2 poster right now... :(

Yea I keep seeing Green Hill in those, so it's gotta' be in the early alpha stages. Do we have a date when this mag issue?

10. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    I thought it was established that the woman is drawing some promotional pictures for the cancelled Sonic 2 CD project? And where are those Green Hill concept zones? The sketched paper from page 1 looks like the word SEGA spelt out with a rock-land terrain style. And the second picture on the 3rd page looks like some testers preparing to play a tennis game (or it's just the default screen for each screen).

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It looks like they're playing Sonic 1 final, see the Sonic 1 case right next to them?

12. But the article seems to be talking about Sonic 2 development. I think the box is just there for decoration, or maybe so the players can reference the previous game.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Those promotional pictures don't show anything even remotely related to Sonic 2, and they even show some Sonic 1 stuff (Robotnik's ship), so I don't think that should be established till we get some undeniable evidence...

14. Here are some scans that tie into these, because they show what the woman in the first picture of page two is working on. From EGM July 1992.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

It's worth noting that while don't remember the exact month the issue of Disney Adventures is from, it was around September\October\November of 1992, (it was Halloween themed, so it was probably the October issue, which means it was on store selves in mid-september) so it's roughly contemporary with EGM, because the author would obviously have needed to visit Sega some time before the magazine actually ran.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  16. Tanks

Tanks

Just noticed a little something here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When looking at the 3'rd image from the EGM scans, I noticed the tiles were very peculiar in the bottom CNZ image. I went to check it out in the NA proto and of course the tiles were exactly the same. That didn't stop me because something else was funny. Unlike the NA CNZ, the CNZ in EGM's shot had the same path tileset, but the BG buildings were not pink, but rather yellow.
    Soooo... Yay... We know the BG color was changed before the path tile sets... <_<;

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I always thought that image was a mockup—the camera position is completely out of place and irregular based on how the players are set up in the shot.

18. Tanks

Tanks

Yea... Overlord and I kinda' figured that out after I posted this. The image is probably a mock since it's missing quite a few things - like the rail underneath the lower path - and the camera position is impossible to obtain. It's still puzzling that the image has a yellow BG rather than a pink one...

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They didn't need to make all the mockups at the same time, anyway... There could have been a couple of different batches of them.

Remember how the very first pic of Sonic Advance looked very different from the next batch they released?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.