don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think the black outlines on the shoes are a bit much, but everything else is a large improvement.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think most of it looks better, except for the black soles (which in my oppinion shouldn't be as thick, but they shouldn't be removed either) and the too wide pupils.

EDIT: Oh, and I think Vincent's latest mouth looks good enough already.

EDIT 2: And I also think the white shine in his shoes should stay.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I would like to go back a bit to that most recently created frame for Sonic.

I feel that his near hand needs to have some definition of fingers as well as a thumb (the latter can be made out in the original sprite), and not look like a box on the end of his arm.

EDIT: Here's the image in question, with a thumb on that hand!
    [​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  5. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hmm, I get the idea of a texturized version is coming out nicely but there is something it really needs in my opinion:
    Any actual re-interpretation about grass.
    I mean Megadrive just used 2 pixel of different heights to show the grass, so maybe using more edges is what we need.
    Also the lower part of the ground is too flat, Emerald Hill zone had some shiny blocks and a deeper contrast between them.

Anyway, good start! :thumbsup:

Here is the latest fixed version:

[​IMG]

I think it's time to move on next frame.

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I admit I'm a little disappointed of how some people got treated in here.

Critics are always welcome, also being a little bit "cold" could be acceptable.
    Trashing people is either childish or being immature.

Mostly of us are doing this for personal Sonic's love,
    And I do believe every "motivated" contributor is a small/big part of the huge teamwork that will eventually lead to Sonic HD, it's just about time and testing that we understand how to contribute.
    Trashing efforts in a project this awesome, would be madness.

Anyway, I've just finished shaping out most of the third Sonic's running frame but I'd like to have some help in left shoe and hands. Just some idea to speed up (ICEKnight or NEO..? :D)

[​IMG]

To Blue:

I'm using the good'ol mouse at the moment.

7. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Really great work Vincent, it's coming together nicely ^^

8. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, upon further analysis the angle of that back shoe makes his leg look a little twisted, like the front of his shoe is directly facing us.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I still think the violet area around his eye looks like a tribal tattoo or something.

11. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    So I'm not the only one who thought that =P

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It should get closer to his ear -- there shouldn't be so much of the darker blue in between his ear and that highlight.

13. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

Working on, I'll also rework the ear like The ?? said. (But later on, I have to restyle all the ear color scheme to have a decent effect)

EDIT:
    Thanks, anyway to make the shoe look "right" I have to redraw a different position of the shoe, but it wouldn't be like the original.
    Waiting for any suggestions and edits for better solutions though.

14. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Sonic's ankle looks broken or twisted in that sprite... but so did the original sprite, though less noticeable. It looks odd to have the foot at such an angle, even more so when it's blown into high def. Overall though, the sprites are orgasmic.

15. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Sonic's right ankle should be behind the white of the shoe, not in front of.

16. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    You're also missing the fact that the gap between his tribal tatoo and the shine on the side of his head is only one-pixel wide: it's supposed to blend horizontally and create a middle color inbetween the two patches of lightest blue.

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    The fourth frame had many tile reuse from the third, so did vectors.

Shaping process it's almost finished.
    And with a strange turn of events (I didn't schedule to progress so fast) I'm almost halfway done with the first 8 speed gain frames.
    Tomorrow for the usual image update.

(please continue contributing on the past frames, because once animation is finished and flowing, I'll clean them up)

Good night people! Especially to all Sonic HD's workers! :)

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The easiest way to fix it is to make some more of that area use that in-between blue that's outlining that area and using it to fill a bit more. Or if you got rid of it, the region might not stand out as much. Of course, that might mean a larger change, so I'd try the first idea before that one.

19. G'night Vincent! Can't wait to see the first four frames tomorrow! :D

Progress Report:
    Thirty-seven pages and this project has gone from nothing to four Sonic frames, a Tails frame, a Robotnik frame, a complete ring animation, and a nearly viable spike sprite.

20. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Here we go!

[​IMG]

I'm still not finished with hands, but just to keep you updated! :)