don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't think I've said it yet, so I'll say that I really appreciate all the effort you're doing on this. Thanks a lot for taking your time, seriously.

2. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Don't over work yourself Vincent! Rest as long as you want. Progress is progress, it really doesn't matter how long this takes. Don't let our enthusiasm put unnecessary pressure on you.

I also hope others with the talent and time for this will wish to contribute.

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Thank you guys ;)

Without your help I couldn't produce these results myself.
    Every change I do it's like putting a part of your ideas, mixing it, and shaping out the REAL Sonic of it!

Time's running out and job's waiting me, last update:

[​IMG]

-eyes
    -shading of eyes
    -some little shading added
    -some small shoe's reflection changes

4. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  5. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I dunno, I think they look pretty good as-is - they may look slightly smaller, but you have to remember that in the original sprite they're pretty much blocks, whereas here there's enough resolution to actually round them out properly, meaning some space that was black in the original has ended up as white space here. Proportionately, though, I think they look OK - and they're staring in the right direction (forwards); Yarharhar's, while good, always looked like he was looking slightly upwards to me, which irked me a little.

I will say, however, that if the pupils of the eyes are going to stay this size then it might be a good idea to update Super Sonic's to match, since from looking at it Vincent's HD Super Sonic was designed with the old, larger pupil size.

BTW, absolutely awesome work on this Vincent. = ) Keep up the good work, but don't let it get on top of you! I'm all for trying to help out once my Uni work's over in a few weeks, though I'd probably be better and more static objects such as spikes, monitors etc. than fully animated stuff like Sonic. I'll have a crack at it when my work's over if nobody else has, see if I can come up with anything decent looking.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    [​IMG]
    Changes:
    -Made the colors closer to the original's (some shadows and brights in his body). Oddly, it seems like the bright in his forehead was darker than the rest of his head.
    -Made a little change where the first and second spine join, based on the original's look.
    -Also, I changed the lower spine a bit. There was something odd about its end.
    -Removed some excessive shadowing in his forehead, under his left ear, to make it look a bit rounder.
    -Changed his left ear's shape a little, since it was a bit different to the other.
    -Made his eyes bigger as suggested (which I think does look a little better). Also made his left eye a bit taller.
    -Made his smile lines less thick.
    -Reverted the buckle to its previous version (The newer version felt like it was falling from its place).
    -Made the shape of his left foot more similar to his right foot (less curve).
    -Changed the back of his shoe so its shape goes with the perspective as seen in its shadowing.
    -Made the soles a little smaller. This allowed to make the shoes less pointy, and make them look better.

Bigger version:
    [​IMG]

Afterthoughts (EDIT):
    -There's something odd about the stripe in his right shoe, in the topmost part. It looks a bit like it doesn't follow the shoe's shape.
    -There might be too much shadowing under his nose, in his muzzle.
    -His right eye might look better if it was a bit thinner.

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
  8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    [​IMG]
    Changes:
    -Made the top spine's curve a bit different, so its shape is closer to the original's.
    -Changed the second and lower spines' shapes a bit, for the same reason.
    -Made his smile lines less dark, and repositioned it a little.
    -Made his whole eyes bigger (105%, I think), also making his left eye a bit taller and thinner (so it doesn't stand out as much). Also, I think the new pupils looked a bit too wide, so I reverted them back.

-Made the colors closer to the original's (some shadows and brights in his body). The bright in his forehead was still darker than the rest of his head.
    -Removed some excessive shadowing in his forehead, under his left ear, to make it look a bit rounder.
    -Reverted the buckle to its previous version (the new one looks a bit too tilted).
    -Changed the back of his shoe so its shape goes with the perspective as seen in its shadowing.
    -Made the soles a little smaller. This allowed to make the shoes less pointy, and make them look better (and less like a suction cup).

Bigger version:
    [​IMG]

...Any oppinions on the changes?

9. Funroll Loops

Funroll Loops

USA
    Hey, would it be possible to post a .png with transparent background? I'd like to use these graphics with some some old directx code I have kicking around.

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Can't you make one yourself? It only takes like 5 seconds to make a transparent png.

11. Funroll Loops

Funroll Loops

USA
    I don't have the .psd, so not loslessly.

12. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Wrong.

GIMP's "alpha to colour" function lets me losslessly make transparent-background images from images with a plain-colour background.

13. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Even if the "plain-colour background" is antialias'd around the image? A true transparency and not one that leaves artifacts and a semi-coloured outline using the transparent "plain-colour background" colour?

14. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Yep.

15. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Some info, I just started working on the second frame, images coming later. ;)

About last changes on standing frame I will update the mouth but I intend to keep the shoes like this. It's more stylish while still in perspective.
    Maybe the eyes could be a little smaller, let me know what you think.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  17. Just want to say that I think this project is an awesome idea, although I don't know how much I can help with it since I'm better at music stuff than art stuff. I do think it could use it's own forum given the magnitude of effort this'll take. Vincent and ICEKnight in particular: very impressive work so far. As for the number of unique (non-rotated) Sonic sprites, I think it's about 80 (not including duplicate palettes like jumping Sonic and jumping Super Sonic, which I believe are otherwise the same sprite).

18. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    I think ICEknight's revisions help the model a lot, and they shouldn't be ignored.

19. I swear this one Sonic sprite is going to take up the entire project... Why hasn't anybody started on badniks yet?

20. Funroll Loops

Funroll Loops

USA
    Decent art takes time? It's also the most important graphic asset.