don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Are you sure about that? The black there is part of the foreground because otherwise you'd see the actual background. Just casually looking through the pattern tables in Gens+ (which means I'm not looking at them as mapped, however) I don't see tiles for his right hand.

Also, on the pallet issue, I'm thinking it might be best to use 8-bit palletized images (would be be useful to use separate 8-bit alpha masks?). That way, instead of storing multiple images for such cases, you can store the images to replace the tiles, and have multiple 256-color pallets to replace the original 16-color MD pallets. This would allow seamless support for ALL such pallet cycling in the game, and if you chose to support alpha images then you could have REAL transparent waterfalls and CPZ tubes as opposed to faked ones.

2. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Hey, thanks for the black glasses version Vincent, looks awesome ^^

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Is there any news on the actual program that all this art is going to be used for? It seems odd that everyones going through all of this when they can't even use it yet :P

4. Jeztac

Jeztac

Sonic R-DX
    Something I made if it worth anything:
    [​IMG]

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    <!--quoteo(post=187069:date=Apr 5 2008, 02:54 AM:name=jeztac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeztac @ Apr 5 2008, 02:54 AM) [​IMG][/quote]

Oh, now these need a LOT more definition. Your yellow and grey bricks are about the right shade, the orange ones need to be darker, and there is a DARK line between bricks instead of the light grey one you have.

Alll your bricks seem to be identical, too. The grey ones are nice, but the yellow and orange ones tend to have little cracks in them, two different designs. My first reaction upon seeing this was that it looked awfully flat, but this is also the case with ARZ's bricks. I don't know whether or not some small amount of shading should be added to make them look better; I think some kind of precedent and/or rule should be set with regards to 'improving' on the original's artwork.

On another note; I feel like contributing to this project with some level art, if this is okay? I did a HD mockup
    here (I'm not plugging, I'd have linked to the version on my deviantArt for that :D) of Alex Kidd in Miracle World, just for the fact that I wanted to do something like this. When zoomed out, this (To me) looks like the original game, albeit with a gradient fill background and higher contrast than the original -- I'd like feedback on this to develop my skills, and probably be able to help out a lot for this -- I really like doing level art, you see.

6. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Can whoever makes the first HD tile remember to post the source tile in the topic, too? I wasn't very sure what was wrong with the first Robotnik designs until a screenshot from Sonic 2 was posted.

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Can we actually get tile-based comparisons for that vector art? It's not too big of a deal for robotnik because there's some leway with how tiles can be arranged, but for badniks that are mirrored etc. it may be more of an issue if this was done through modified VDP emulation.

8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I don't think tiles in sprites need to be an issue. The program could just read the frame numbers from the object RAM and display the correct sprites based on that.

9. Jeztac

Jeztac

Sonic R-DX
    Thanks for the input, do you think this is any better?
    [​IMG]

10. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Only problem I see with those are the spaces between the blocks, which look abit on the ugly side.

11. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    That assumes that everything is going to be converted though, I was hoping our conversion could be a lot more modular and tile based, meaning everything that isn't converted can be scaled with hq4x or similar until the work on that tile has been done by the artist.

It also just seems a lot more sensible and less prone to breaking to me.

Also I'm guessing we're going for a 4 x Scale? I.e. 320 x 224 -> 1280 x 896 ? 8x8 tiles -> 32x32? If so that's pretty cool, will max out my monitor haha.

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  13. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]

Half-ass laughing head. Feel free to continue, I just did that in MS-paint. Mouth area isn't done at all really.

Also I would just like to say I am fail at art. :P

14. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    <!--quoteo(post=187308:date=Apr 7 2008, 12:39 AM:name=GrandMasterJimmy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrandMasterJimmy @ Apr 7 2008, 12:39 AM) [​IMG]

Feel free to continue[/quote]
    :no:

15. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    My god! Remind me to never use MS-paint after taking my meds... ever.. again.. That is the most disturbing thing have ever seen in my life D:

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That could have a home as a replacement to a weird Chaotix mod's Robo-hologram from Amazing Arena.

17. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Regarding the music that we're going to be using for this;

Well, I think some of Tweaker's remastered tunes would be great to use! With your permission of course Tweaker, I recommend that we use them. He's been posting them over at the Fan Art/Music forum, I hope you don't mind me posting them here for everyone to enjoy.

Wing Fortress:
    http://www.fileden.com/files/15774/Wing%20...ress%20Zone.mp3

Hill Top:
    http://www.fileden.com/files/15774/Hill%20Top%20Zone.mp3

Metropolis:
    http://www.fileden.com/files/15774/Metropolis%20Zone.mp3

Oil Ocean:
    http://www.fileden.com/files/15774/Oil%20Ocean%20Zone.mp3

Most of the remixes made by the guys behind the Hedgehog Heaven soundtrack and the guys over at ocremix.org sound too far away from the originals to be suitable...With the exception of one, which I think is brilliant. We'll need djpretzel's permission too, though, if we use it;

Sky Chase:
    http://djpretzel.web.aplus.net/songs/Sonic...ky_OC_ReMix.mp3

I think it would also be handy if in the final product there were an option to switch between these remastered tunes and the original VGMs.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't mind at all, actually. In fact, I'm more than willing to whip up tunes for the other zones if you guys want.

19. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I'm working on a few too; it'd be cool if those were used.

20. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Tweaker, that would be most awesome ;)

I think that some of the recent changes you have been making are so subtle that I find it difficult to see if there is an improvement - apart from the back of the shoes which are now more rounded; I think that is an improvement (the previous triangular shape looked a little odd to me). And the smile, which I think is a slight improvement because it is now gentler, which more faithfully captures the anime style in my opinion. Thanks for your contributions IceKnight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.