don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    This isn't Penny Arcade, Cooljerk. =P

Nah, really though... The older Sonic games were full of huge, consecutive vertically stacked paths, each with varying levels of land to traverse. You couldn't just hold right and press A because there was always going to be some sort of abstract obstacle to keep you from doing so, be it an enemy, a bed of spike, or even a powerup.

It wasn't concentrated entirely on speed—platforming was an important factor. There'd be a wall or something in your way that you'd have to ride a block to get to, bounce off a certain spring to get to, etc etc. There was tons of innovative variety that isn't seen a lot in the newer games. I mean, come on—we can go at fast speeds in Rush, but will you ever really get the same feeling of speed you got in Chemical Plant?

What I do like about things like Rush is that, even in sections that sort of propel you forward automatically, they make it exciting—there's always lots of fast paced action, and it really makes you feel like part of the game more. It's shows off a side to Sonic's speed that really wasn't there in the same sense.

There's advantages to both kinds of level design, but the original had a lot more charm that's hard to find these days.

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Oh...and I almost forgot, obligatory "NEEDS MORE SUPER SONIC" post.

Because despite all the madness, I'm still a Super State whore :P

3. Shade

Shade

Let's see..

2.5D in a mainstream Sonic title.
    Dash move complete with meter.
    Sonic Rush inspired music.

Basicly Sonic Rush on a console.

Fuck, this might actually be good.

4. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    I must recognize that video catches my attention, but we still don't have a word from SEGA, so don't get your hopes high. Yes, I do realize if it's a hoax it is a pretty elaborated one, but god knows.

Edit: And that video completely misses any sign of copyright from SEGA, plus that coming soon message at end doesn't look too professional either. IF this was supposed to be a press video something is just not right with it.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Obligatory "Motion Fucking Seconded" post.

Though I still think it'll be sadly locked to fighting a giant, evil, non-Eggman boss.

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Needs moar Tails and Knuckles without separate objectives (I.E. emerald hunt), and I agree with GMG, we need Super Sonic, but to extend a bit more, we need him playable IN LEVELS.

7. GreigKM

GreigKM

DNA 2.0 Member
    Michigan
    Education and CAD/Programing
    Oh my God... I just... I... the video... it... *head explosion*
    I can look past the hole were-hog thing when I see this! It is just awesome. Sega might pull out a good one! 5 years of crap might end soon!
    And I agree, Super Sonic in levels again would be nice.
    Edit: Oh, and the game looks more like 3D/2.5D, not pure 2.5D.

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I think it would be cool if Sega, after this game (Assuming it will alright), came to this community, and asked for a list of things that should and shouldn't be in the next game.

I'd personally just like to have a layout that's not all "Speed", and maybe some more beta testers.

9. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Right, it doesn't matter how good the game COULD have been, it sucked. End of story.

QFT, EVERY Sonic game looked good before it was released pretty much. And look what we got.

I will not get my hopes up for anything more than a game that's "better than Sonic 06" and that doesn't say a whole lot.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks good, but the music seems a bit annoying... like in the Sonic Rush Adventure menus. =\

11. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    All I can say is whatever has already been said: Sega needs to ditch melodramatic stories.

Other than that, Sega should let the public beta test the game.

12. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    And new characters every game, and scripted game play (which I see in this game all ready), and bad cameras and glitchy levels and...

To be honest though, I'm still not convinced the werewolf thing isn't an April Fools joke... all though this might be one whole big ploy. SEGA tests out their new engine and shows videos about it to see fans' reactions. If they like it, Sega goes along with it, if the fans complain, they say it was an April Fools joke.

What has? New characters? Who were the new characters in these games:

Sonic Eraser (yeah I'm low for bringing that up)
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic & Tails
    Sonic Drift
    Sonic Drift 2
    Sonic Labyrinth
    Sonic Blast
    SonicN

Some of those may have had new characters I guess... but all the 3D games so far have had new playable characters that the story revolves around and it's really getting old.

13. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Sonic 3 and S&K were originally meant to be just one game (and together, S3K introduced Knuckles), and every single other game you mentioned there is a spinoff, not part of the main series.

14. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    ....yeah but every spinoff after Sonic Adventure had new characters, didn't they?

15. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    No. The Advance series didn't. Rush Adventure didn't (Marina doesn't count; she's not playable). Sonic Battle didn't. Sonic Rivals didn't.

16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I thought Cream was from Advance... I could be wrong. Sonic Rush had Blaze right?... and I was thinking there was someone new in Sonic Rivals. Wasn't Silver in it? That must be what I'm thinking. Regardless, they have enough characters now, they really don't need to make more.

Anyway, bottom line is this. Want to know what I think a 3D sonic game should play like?:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=54B23EoieM4

I think anyone here would agree with me.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Eh, just forwarding this into the topic from TSS News for the sake of documentation:

Guess everyone's getting more Sonic (I'll assume PS3 is also getting it, since 360's a shoe-in.)

18. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.

And you'll never get that, which is why you will forever be a bitter oldbie who bitches about any new sonic game that comes out. [:

19. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    Personally I think the game is a great concept and Sega is finally seeing that the Sonic Rush formula works. The camera work is also decent in the gameplay video, they seemed to borrow Sonic Rivals. As of right now this game is the love child of a threesome between Sonic Rush Series, Sonic Rivals Series and the Adventure's Storyline. So in the end we can hope to get a solid game with interesting camera angles, and depending on your taste in plot line, a good plot. I feel they refered to the classics a bit too. The forest level gives me a wood zone vibe mainly from those platforms but also how trees are right up agianst the path ways and stuff. I like variety in side scrolling and rear view dashes. The tension gauge making it in here in some form is also a good thing.

I think this game will end up primarly being a speed rush in the begining like Rush but as you get further on in the game you'll need to be more careful. I think the bottomless pits are there, just disqused by very close ground segments, parts where you don't drop off into obilivion but instead fall off the course and onto the ground. So instead of bottomless pits we have off course holes or something like that.

Two things that concern me though, the music and how reviewers will precieve this game. I'm sure Xplay will give it a 1 or 2 out of five for beeing to repetive for a console game no matter how good it is. IGN might give it a decent score of 7 or 8 even if its on a SR or SRA level. Its just that the major reviewers seem inclined to hate Sonic games for the most part now. Also may I suggest we keep an eye on Xplay? After all they might have early coverage of this, with the hands ons and previews they do now I think we might see this game get some hands on time there. While Xplay often is critical of Sonic I think it may because of the standard S3 and Knuckles and SA2 set.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Anything on G4 hasn't deserved credibility for several years now. Frankly, I'm surprised the channel is still alive. </bitter about TechTV> Let reviewers think what they want. As seen by the sold-well-enough-to-get-budget-status Sonic The Hedgehog (2006), which was pretty much raped and keelhauled by almost every major games site, quite a few people don't care enough to read what some guy has to say about a game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.