don't click here

Sonic CD level names

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by P.P.A., Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    The wiki names the levels of Sonic CD with "Zone" behind the name (for example "Stardust Speedway Zone"). This is factually wrong as Sonic CD, for some odd reason, named its Zones "Rounds" (even though that term was rarely used as only the level names alone were shown ("Stardust Speedway" and nothing else)) and its Acts "Zones" (as can be seen for example on the title cards or even more striking at the end of a stage where the text says "SONIC GOT THROUGH Zone 1/2/3" or "SONIC MADE A GOOD FUTURE IN Zone 1/2/3".)
    In short, I suggest renaming the page names to exclude that "Zone" attachment and replacing "zone" in the text with "round".

Sorry if that seems overly correct, but I just love this game and always want to have facts straight. >_>
    I already bugged Tweaker about that on IRC, he disagrees and says it's fine as it is though as the naming's always been like that in other Sonic games. I do understand his point of view, but I still want to hear opinions of others.

2. I think both solutions are fine. It's not INCREDIBLY misleading to have it as it is now as the general point of naming the zones gets across. But there is certaintly a point to be made for being 100% accurate. If the Wiki is edited, there should be a brief explanation explaining that Sonic CD used the term "rounds" so people don't get confused. I didn't know this and I'm Sonic's friend! :drool:

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    It does say "PALMTREE PANIC ZONE 1" on the title cards, but I don't agree to moving the pages. I think it's already 100% accurate as it is. Sonic 2 also makes no reference to acts IIRC. Where are you getting "rounds" from?

4. Based off what the OP said, I think that would be the same as "Palmtree Panic Act 1." The manual (assumedly) refers to the entire Palmtree Panic zone as a "round."

5. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    It says "PALMTREE PANIC ZONE 1", but "PALMTREE PANIC" in a different font and entirely separated from the "Zone 1".
    Screenshot of the title card.

Where Round is from I actually forgot, but I'm pretty confident it's confirmed somewhere other than just the R# names of the folders int he PC version and stuff.

EDIT: After a quick look into the PAL manual:

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Manual is all, I think.

Sonic 2 does mention acts, however, in the end of the level at the results screen.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
  8. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I thought Ristar was "rounds" O.o Saying Palmtree Panic Round doesn't flow off the tongue. That would severely aggravate me; although, I suppose accuracy is important.

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    That wouldn't be surprising, seeing as Takumi Miyake, who helped do the design for SCD, wound up being the chief designer for Ristar.

10. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    And here I was hoping for awesome alliterations

11. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The Japanese manual actually supports calling them Rounds - the text at the top of the page reads "??????" - "Round Introduction".

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That said, I wouldn't create a page with the title "Palmtree Panic Round", but I might go with the more minimalitstic "Palmtree Panic".

13. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    That's what I meant.

Slightly off-topic: Is it okay if I add screenshots of the different timezones to the pages?

14. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Still need more alliterations

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Doubly disappointed. =P

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Hey True_Dude: Try not to delete pages like you did with the Sonic CD zones unless we've got to a concrete conclusion as to whether or not to rename something.

In addition, the function you were looking for was "Move," not delete. :P

17. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Actually, he moved the pages and then deleted the redirects.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Oh... that's rather counter-productive. Redirects are good! :(

19. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Interesting impressive original observation. I fully failed to think the zone text tucked towards the number, not nearby awesome and audaciously alliterating area text.

Hmm that attempt turned out to be more fail than I was hoping for =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.