don't click here

Mega Drive Research & Development Center

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Sik, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I know it doesn't belong to the Members Longue, but I was quite unsure where to put it as there isn't any subforum about generic Mega Drive development. Move this wherever it should go.

Anyways, I just opened a new Mega Drive development page. I know there are a lot out there, but they normally have very little information (having all the tech docs makes no good to me XD), and anyways I wanted to make mine. Feel free to give feedback. This was rushed so more stuff will come soon (I.e. tomorrow), and the design isn't finished yet. Go and take a look at it.

http://srb2town.sepwich.com/md/

2. YumYum. That could make it very far. Keep up :)

3. Interesting. I like it. Actually, I was considering, since I can't find nor want to pay a load for a game copier/backup player for my genesis, I could make my own. This would be useful.

4. Vangar

Vangar

How does one make a MD backup system? I once made a SMS one from SMSpower years ago, and that didnt even work.

5. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Are you talking about a MD dumper? You need to make hardware that reads the cartridge as if it was the real console. The data is then retrieved by this hardware somehow to the computer, where specialized software (which also controls the hardware) uses to make a binary file with the ROM dump. You would need the pin layout for a cartridge, and I don't have it :P

If you're talking about doing the opposite, then things become harder. You either need hardware to emulate a cartridge or a real cartridge. This hardware should have memroy where the ROM would be stored. Again, you would need the pin layout, but this time the software should write into the hardware memory. If you want it to be a back-up device, this memory has to be permanent also, making things harder (of course you could use Flash memory). A Tototek device does all this, just has a larger memory so it can store several ROMs.

And by the way, I'll add more examples today. But can somebody help me with this please? There's something I can't get working properly as for some reason works wrongly under Gens (at least). How do I detect when the Z80 is working? How do I get the Z80 working and get paused? I know this appears in the tech docs, but I already tried all possible combinations and for some reason the Z80 starts working even when it shouldn't :/ Gens crashes because the Z80 tries to write to its stack, which is at $0000 initially, so it wraps around and finishes writing to the ROM through the 68k bank area :/

6. Cyan Helkaraxe designed a device which could copy the ROM data from MD cartridges onto a PC, a few years ago. I don't know if there's still a page with information on that, though.

7. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    The page stills exists, but the copier uses the parallel port (LPT) and the software apparently doesn't work under Windows (no, not even non-NT Windows...). Somebody should make another copier.

By the way, updated page yesterday, if you mind. Feel free to give feedback. Examples must be simple functions by the way, and very easy to understand (which doesn't mean make it crappily slow).

8. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Cyan's copier does work under a huge number of OSs including windows xp and linux. You have to use uCon64 instead to dump.

It is slow though, there has to be a more direct way of reading the EPROMS. They're just ram after all.

9. Nice layout!

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Is it just the transfer method slowing it down? It IS a serial connection, after all (iirc. It's been a long time since I read the specs for that device and I've never built one).

Also, what about the MCD method of dumping carts?

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Link seems dead.

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Nah it's a parallel connection, however it relies on the software on the PC to do a lot of the processing and controlling the chips, that's what causes the slowdown. This does however make it a lot easier to make.

13. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Link is dead...

Anyway, I have made a MD cart reader/writer... 6mins for full 4Mbyte flash cart writing, 1.5 mins to dump a 4MByte cart. Its more complex than of Cyan's and much more multipurpose hence the name of mine : MultiPurposeComputerPeripheral (It even has Sonic on it ) :)
    Here's all info you need to know how to build my agregate : Schematics and stuff
    Device is extensively used in my MD development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.