don't click here

My thought about Hidden Palace Zone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mr_Boo_Berry, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherbet

Sherbet

That's more like it. Member
    Why can't the "Master Emerald" just be a minor, bigass emerald of no real significance? You crush it, and go on. Nobody ever said this needed to function like Sonic 3's Hidden Palace, there was no "Master Emerald" back then, just Chaos Emeralds.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Are you guys 100% sure that there's no code/data for any unusual level-specific behavior (aka cutscenes) in the later prototypes? Be it within the Wing Fortress stuff, the Special Stage, the lamppost code or anywhere else?

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Don't any of you think that if Sonic was granted to gain the Super form in Hidden Palace it would be most likely at the end of the level? In your place I would assume the entire level plays as normal Sonic except for a cutscene at the end.

4. GreigKM

GreigKM

DNA 2.0 Member
    Michigan
    Education and CAD/Programing
    If a hack like this actually gets made it will be the best hack ever! However I can't even imagine how much coding and designing would go into it. And the Super Sonic up slope thing sounds off to me, the ascending platform seems more plausible. A slow moving platform would defiantly raise anticipation for the climactic event.

5. Maybe have the "master emerald" once stood upon shoots Sonic (with a beam like in the S3K teleporter in HPZ) up the slope? Heh, we should come up with a level concept we all can agree on or at least live with.

And I really don't want a project done professionally done like this thought of as a hack. If anything, it's a fan game or a continuation of Sonic 2. Sonic 2 Rev 3 perhaps (heh, before you ask, I skip 2 since we can't confirm or deny the "rev 2" in Compilation).

6. Jacko

Jacko

Beta User Oldbie
    yeah, ascending platform. I think perhaps the water level should rise and take the platform (and Sonic) to the waterslide at the top, like the floating blocks in Labyrinth Zone.
    I've no idea what would be done with the emerald/tube bit if you did that though.

7. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    There should definitely be badniks around the platform if that approach is taken (either flying badniks or in-wall ones like the starfish in Metropolis Zone).

8. GreigKM

GreigKM

DNA 2.0 Member
    Michigan
    Or maybe some Crawltons in the walls on the way up. It seems more suited since it is a cave level. Or the piranha like enemies if the water thing is implemented, and maybe the bomb dropping ones from Sky Chase.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    My major problem with this is wtf are you coming back for? If you break the emerald and go down the tube, go around some more level then come down the slope - what's there that you couldn;t reach before?

10. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Nothing, just a random design level. This kind of things appear all the time in the Sonic games, just check it.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    My point is where do you go from there once you've looped back =P

12. GreigKM

GreigKM

DNA 2.0 Member
    Michigan
    Maybe you loop back to go up a second slope as Super Sonic? Although there is no evidence of this at all, there is no second slope around there in the beta.

13. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    It's just a return slope. Stop. Nothing new about it. By the way, there're rings in the slope if I'm not wrong, right? Then the whole point of using the slope would be just getting those rings. Nothing more.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Interesting theory, Mr. Sik. But do you have any evidence?

15. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    You're a fucking moron

EDIT: ..decided to back up my insults =P you'd have to go back around numerous times to get all those rings up there if there wasn't a platform of some sort. It only makes sense layout-wise for that to go up. There's a lot more proof that the chute was a valid path idea than a fucking green rock that's blocking one or two 128x128 chunks of art that drop you into oblivion. Only thing I can think to possibly support your theory to a degree is that they both brought you to the water slide.. just the tube wrapped around to the top above the chute (maybe to a whole different path? even, let's say, to the same place). If you did that then it's just two different ways to access the same place.. one with more rings and the other that's quicker. Meh.. I dunno. Just saying that you'd fall down that chute to grap a couple rings multiple times to make sure you get those rows of three is fucking RETARDED.

and THAT is why you're a moron =P

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Do you have any evidence about why any of the other theories may be true?

And yes, I know the whole idea is just plain stupid, but I saw being stupid cases of item-catching like this very often in the Sonic games (specially in Sonic 1), and moreover, in all platform games in general. It's just bad random design. Take it or not, you aren't forced to do it.

17. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Guys, I just found the definitive evidence of the fact that Tails was meant to eat the master emerald. Check the Object $10 in S2NA =P

On a more serious note, the slope doesn't look like a return path to me to be honest. Regardless of what Craig Stitt said, we don't know for sure if the tube under the Master Emerald was actually supposed to be a real path either - and with the layout we have right now I wouldn't say so.

18. I, for one am in favor of having a "no ramps" policy if such a project is ever started.

19. GreigKM

GreigKM

DNA 2.0 Member
    Michigan
    Ya, but it's a beta. And in betas levels typically are not finished. You are, however, right about the lack of evidence, but nothing can be assumed about this other than it was meant to break. I would agree that it looks as though it was not meant to be a path, but that means very little because it is an unfinished level in a beta ROM.
    Oh, and nice find about Tails! j/k
    Not me! I want the level to be nothing but ramps! j/k
    Seriously, the ramp/moving platform idea is a great one that would work out perfectly if implemented. All you need is some badnicks on the way up, like I said before.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The entire layout of HPZ could easily be just for test...

I know when I am starting to make a new level, I just kinda place random layout to make sure everything works right, fits together, and to take screen shots. It's completely possible that the ramp, the big emerald and everything else was put there just so they could see how they look in game, and maybe show some shots to the press.

(Also, the ramp could be so long because they didn't want people to go up it? Because there is really nothing after it. Same goes for the big emerald, nothing after it so it's used so anyone demoing the game didn't know the level was so incomplete.)

Hidden Palace as a whole started as a testing grounds level I think. So it was probably the first or maybe second level that was started. It was the first level with water, and has a lot of placeable badniks. Obviously they weren't all planned to be used in HPZ, so reasoning says they were using the level to test things. Also, how you can control the water level with the 2P controller also suggests testing.

Also should note that if they ever wanted the player to actually go up the slope, they would have had to remove the water or something like what was done in Sonic 2 delta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.