don't click here

Sonic 3 - A Speculated Development History

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ComPro, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Many have known and safely assumed, even since we were young, that Sonic and Knuckles levels were intended for Sonic 3. The recent release of the prototypes proves this. As is now known, there were three versions of Sonic 3 in development – Sonic 3A, which is Sonic 3 Standalone, Sonic 3B, which is Sonic and Knuckles standalone, and Sonic 3C, which is both games merged into one, but without the use of lock-on technology.

Based on my own speculation, some research, and some assumptions, I've concluded that "Sonic 3C" was the original route of the game, which has been documented in the past. However, fairly early in the development process, this game was split into Sonic 3A, which was completed as Sonic 3, while Sonic 3C continued its development fairly late into the development cycle, with Sonic 3B not appearing until months after the original split occurred.

Build Dates and ROM Header Dates
    Based on the dates of the Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles ROMs stored within the header information, one might assume that development on Sonic 3, as we know it, began in November of 1993, and Sonic and Knuckles in June of 1994. The Sonic and Knuckles “start date” is confirmed by the Sonic and Knuckles 0606 prototype, as it is the first known prototype of Sonic and Knuckles in which the game is playable by itself, and as the date suggests, was built in June, 1994. The previous Sonic and Knuckles prototype (0525) is a crude attempt at "lock-on", and is entirely dependent on the Sonic 3 data to be able to run. One can then also assume that the actual split occurred in November, 1993, giving Sonic Team the remainder of that November, December, and January to finalize "Sonic 3A", as it was released on February 2, 1994. (It is also my personal speculation that the 2-player aspect was added during this time.)

Level Order and Music Order
    Anyone can see that by entering the Sonic 3 level select that there are clearly three Sonic and Knuckles specific zones listed – Flying Battery, Mushroom Valley (Hill), and Sandopolis. One can also see that all of the Sonic and Knuckles zone music was already in the Sonic 3 ROM.

Code (Text):
    1. Sound     Sonic & Knuckles Zone
    2. -----     ----------------------
    3. 09        Flying Battery Act 1
    4. 0A        Flying Battery Act 2
    5. 0F        Mushroom Hill Act 1
    6. 10        Mushroom Hill Act 2
    7. 11        Sandopolis Act 1
    8. 12        Sandopolis Act 2
    9. 13        Lava Reef Act 1
    10. 14        Lava Reef Act 2/Hidden Palace
    11. 15        Sky Sanctuary
    12. 16        Death Egg Act 1
    13. 17        Death Egg Act 2
    The order of the levels in the game corresponds with the order of the music, including the "Lost" levels. As the level select in Sonic 3 shows, Flying Battery was slotted as the fifth level in the game (Level 04 00 and 04 01). The order of the music in the sound test corresponds with this.

In later builds of Sonic 3C and Sonic & Knuckles, including the final release of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Lock On), Flying Battery's music is the only music out of order with the final level order. It still falls in line with its old slot. Most of the rest of the game is neatly organized, keeping the music in the same order as the levels/acts.

Title Cards and Flying Battery
    Some basic hacking can allow you to enter the Sonic and Knuckles levels within Sonic 3, though none are even remotely playable; in fact, entering each level locks the emulator. The only title card that loads correctly is Flying Battery. More advanced hackers have shown that the Flying Battery Act 2 boss data is still contained within Sonic 3, which shows that at the time Sonic 3 was split into two separate projects, development on Flying Battery was pretty far. Mushroom Valley and Sandopolis's title cards do not load correctly, though reading through some glitches, one can see that it does try to display it correctly (I.e., trying to display Valley in Mushroom Valley). Just the name "Mushroom Valley" indicates that at the time Sonic 3 was spun into Sonic 3A, it was fairly early in the development process, as shown above, November of 1993. Further hacking can allow us entry into Lava Reef, Sky Sanctuary, Death Egg, and Doomsday, all of which show glitches in the title cards, but it is easy to tell what it is supposed to be. This shows that the majority of the story line and level order was already in place by the time the split occurred. One can also speculate that the level order was changed, adding Flying Battery to the Sonic and Knuckles line-up, to even out the number of levels in each game, a decision that was likely also made in November, 1993, when the split likely took place.

Hidden Palace
    Hidden Palace was added later in the development of the game, as can be illustrated by the Sonic 3C 0408 prototype. Hidden Palace is available (Lava Reef Act 4), but 1) not accessible without debug, and 2) comes up as Sky Sanctuary Act 1, whereas Sky Sanctuary Acts 1 and 2 in the level select both load and Act 2 title card.
    I allowed Sonic 3 to load Hidden Palace's level slot (16 00), and it loaded a zone that played the Blue Sphere Special Stage music with Angel Island's tiles. There are other empty level slots that do the same thing, which proves that Hidden Palace was not being visibly developed by the time the split took place.

Lock-on Technology
    From the prototypes that we have access to, "Lock-on" technology made its debut on May 24, 1994 with a release of Knuckles in Sonic 2. An extremely bare-bones version of Sonic and Knuckles is present in this game, unplayable on its own if you split the ROMs. Sonic 3 and Knuckles "Lock-on" made its debut the very next day, also with an unplayable version of Sonic and Knuckles contained within the ROM, in fact, the same version of Sonic and Knuckles as found in the May 24th Sonic 2 "Lock-on". The Sonic 3 Final ROM is also present, providing the much needed Sonic 3 data to allow this ROM to boot, let alone be playable.?

Summary
    In summary, Sonic 3's development began as a full "Sonic 3 and Knuckles", so to speak, with a level order of:

1 - Angel Island
    2 - Hydrocity
    3 - Marble Garden
    4 - Carnival Night
    5 - Flying Battery
    6 - Ice Cap
    7 - Launch Base
    8 - Mushroom Valley
    9 - Sandopolis
    10 - Lava Reef
    11 - Sky Sanctuary
    12 - Death Egg
    13 - Doomsday

In November, 1993, the game was split into two – Sonic 3A, which evolved into Sonic 3 as we know it today, and Sonic 3B, which eventually turned into Sonic and Knuckles, however, the actual split of Sonic and Knuckles did not occur until June, 1994. Prior to that, development of Sonic 3C, the original game concept, was continued, and was officially scrapped as a single game in late May, 1994 when "Lock-on" technology made its debut, six months after the original split occurred.

2. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    This would make sense, except for the magazine issue Oerg got, talking about part I, part II and special edition back even before Sonic 3A was released (I believe). It would be good if we could get the exact date of that issue though.

I tend to believe, although this is pure speculation, that details such as the level select are only changed if completely necessary (ie, a preview is going to be sent to a magazine) and remain outdated most time of the development. Thus, the state of the level select as can be seen in S3 could point to the level slots that were implemented at some point of the development. The final Sonic 3A already has most of the level slots of SK levels as one might guess, though probably only Flying Battery was actually completed.

It's very likely Hidden Palace was one of the last developed zones, I'd say. This zone, along with the Lava reef boss, DEZ final boss and HPZ for Super Emeralds, are the last level slots of the game, which would point these being developed on a fairly advanced time of development.

Personally, I'm interested to know the date of the Oerg's magazine issue as I said, that could give some light here. Still, this is a good summary of what we have.

3. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    NO.

There's a lot of things wrong with this post, just to list a few:

1. The dates in the header are projected final build dates, nothing else, nothing more.
    2. They didn't work on Sonic 3A in January, not even in December. The final build of Sonic 3A was built on November 20, 1993.
    3. How can you say that development of Sonic & Knuckles was started in June, after acknowledging that 0525 *is* a Sonic & Knuckles prototype (which it is)? If anything, that proves that S&K was started between 0517 and 0525.

etc.

Stop making assumptions.

4. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Well don't expect everyone to know the build dates right from nowhere :P Still, I guess that confirms what we already knew, that the split happened on an early point of the development.

5. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    First, there are not many people who know the build dates of the games off the top of their heads. I was trying to find that information last night but could not. Just out of curiosity, where did you get that info? I looked high and low.

Second, I say S&K was started in June because the first June prototype is the first Sonic and Knuckles proto that is playable by itself, whereas the 525 build does contain an early build of S&K, but is not playable without Sonic 3 data present in the game.

Third, I wasn't making assumptions. I was trying to rationalize with the research I did and the information I found through this research. I may not be entirely correct or I may not be correct at all, but I wasn't going to sit back and hold in my thoughts because I wasn't sure of the validity of them. I am trying to raise points, start discussions, and build. If I was spewing this without trying to do research to back my thoughts, (I.e., Tails being the guardian of the Master Emerald in Sonic 2) then I can understand you being frustrated, but I tried to intelligently form that post with backing research and information. I've been around here long enough to know that some semblance of intelligence is required.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, I don't see a problem with this topic—it was well rationalized, even, given the facts that were available to him.

I do suggest, however, that we attone the wiki pages for these games with the build dates, in addition to the release dates, whenever possible. This way, we no longer have any issues in regards to when the games were built in comparison to release, so we can rationalize the developmental process better.

7. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

Regardless on a few things being incorrect, your theory on the development of Sonic 3 is very thorough and any novice gamer regardless of the background of the game would be inspired by it. We should also keep in mind that you put "speculated" in the title of your topic for a reason. :P

8. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I don't think that they originally planned Sonic to destroy the Death Egg half-way through the game, only to have it appear rebuilt at the end. I'd have thought that Launch Base would have originally preceded Death Egg, and then, when they planned to split Sonic 3 into two games, they would have re-worked the plot and, possibly, added a few levels.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nah. I think the original plan was for Death Egg to launch then crash back into the ground again. They just had to put an explosion into 3 when it was split off.

10. There are a lot of assumptions here, as well as a lot of truth. However we can only speculate about Sonic 3A's development, however I think that the project was originally supposed to encompass all of the S&K levels just like he said (Sonic 3C proves this), however the project was split due to cart size limitations and release date issues. Sonic3A however, is an interesting topic, and although I can only speculate, I believe that Sonic3A was completed very early in the development process. We have magazine shots to prove this, as the only differences that I can see is the use of Sonic 2 sprites and minor other things such as Hydrocity's different background... etc. However, through these magazine shots, we see that every zone up to LBZ is at least implemented, if not fully complete in the game so that by the time we get to Sonic 3C, the Sonic3A levels were untouched, with the exception of a few bugfixes.

11. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Your post needs less "however".

12. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    I may just be talking out of my ass here, but suppose the Death Egg wasn't meant to crash until the end—like, it was some looming threat and that compelled you to finish the game? Just a thought...it would have been cool

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    How would that fit in with a boss in LBZ though? Also, it messes up with the story in HPZ somewhat.

14. I have seen many magazines and stuff (also the german article) where IceCap came AFTER Launch Base Zone.

15. Sherbet

Sherbet

That's more like it. Member
    Well, that would actually work pretty well, based on the entrances and exits between the two stages (at least when it comes to Sonic), as well as out of Flying Battery.

You LEAVE Flying Battery out the side, falling to the next stage. Swap the Launch Base entrance with the Sandopolis entrance, and you've got a match. Even if that sort of thing wasn't used, it isn't totally far-fetched that the Flying Battery would land at the Launch Base.

After completing the bosses from Launch Base, the Death Egg begins to fall apart again, and quite a bit of debris falls from the (for some reason) failing Death Egg. Entrance to Ice Cap comes in the form of "Sonic-leaps-into-the-Zone-and-lands-on-conveniently-placed-debris-that-happens-to-be-shaped-like-a-snowboard."

It's not at all impossible for these magazines to have at least been correct at the time. Of course, level transitions don't seem to have been added until pretty late in development (I believe).

16. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    How far into development is the game music composed? Because the music that MJ composed and was "removed" was for sonic 3 only, and this to me is quite evident because in my opinion the music in the S&K levels is a completely different style to the music in S3.
    What I'm getting at is that if the music is composed and added in early in development it would suggest to me that S3 was made seperate, then S&K developed after.

17. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

IIRC, that debris, given the consistant shape, looks more to be not from the egg itself, but from the rockets/fuel tanks used to lift it into space, but the general idea still sounds good in my opinion.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Isn't that how SA2 opened?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.