don't click here

Sonic 3D discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Well the placement of the objects on lowered surfaces definitely appears wrong, so maybe they changed it at some point to make those objects look right and just left it that way.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I think he did. =P

Also, regarding those raised/lowered ground pieces - none of the objects placed on them look right when they're on lowered pieces, I'm willing to chalk that up to just being an engine/tile error.

3. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    So they lowered other parts of the stage to even it out I guess.

4. MaxKnight

MaxKnight

Local MCP Member
    It looks as though the objects are still lined up to be centered on raised ground. The coordinates for those objects most likely wasn't changed to reflect the change between the ground being raised and the ground being lowered.

5. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Found something. Near the end of Sonic 3D Blast (Prototype 819 - Aug 19, 1996, 19.49) is the begining of another game:

Code (Text):
    1. NOSEGAY is a word (C)T-SN 1993.MARPSY-Q TARGET                               PSY-Q  TARGET                               DS 00000000-00..
    Anyone know what it is?

EDIT: This is also in Sonic 3D Blast (Prototype 814 - Aug 15, 1996, 07.55)

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    NOSEGAY LOL.

(Rule 34 -- nostril penetration?)

That has to be the weirdest thing of that nature I've seen in a while.
    What's with the hidden mentioning of the word gay in so many video gaymes?

7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Wow.. I haven't learned a new word from a Sonic game since parallax...

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Haha, so it's a joke, then! Gotta love dev humor. =P

9. Snake

Snake

Tech Member
    That would be part of the PsyQ devkit ROM :rolleyes:

10. Rafalapso

Rafalapso

According to the code, it's a Genesis development interface program. Probably to connect the genesis to a debugger pc using SCSI and a special cart with ram and a SCSI interface.
    The code is streamed from the pc to the cart and the genesis can run the code without needing to write eeproms.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    More than likely, that header ended up in the S3D/819 ROM due to DOS memory management semantics. Specifically, DOS doesn't zero out memory before allocating it.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, extracting the Psy-Q ROM and running it does nothing, even after changing NOSEGAY with SEGA (not that I actually expected it to show a thing).

Anyway, I've just found the credits for Toy Story in the 830 proto, starting at 0x20404 (after it says "THE REST OF THE CREDITS WILL GO HERE."):

It's gone already in the next build.

EDIT:

I've just noticed that the Sonic 3D proto that had been released already is actually the 819 version, only with some wierd values added before the country code.
    Does anybody have an explanation to this?

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The first Sonic 3D proto, the E3 version that was dumped and released a while ago, also had that PSY-Q ROM at the end.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Wasn't Toy Story done by Traveller's Tales? Maybe the team was largely the same.

Also, my brain parsed nosegay as no sega y... didn't see that word at all. =P

15. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    You know one of the "unused" tunes that was inside the other prototype build of Sonic 3D Blast (The first one released by drx)? Well, it was being worked on after that build, and can even be heard in sound test.

You should be able to hear the difference right away. I wish I knew how to create a vgm, but I guess mp3 will do. :thumbsup:

Sonic 3D Blast (Prototype 825 - Aug 26, 1996)
    Sonic 3D Blast (Beta)

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Nice observation! I'll record a VGM in a bit.

17. Hey: In all protos less or equal 830: If you press a+start while playing, you'll skip the level. I actually found that out by accident by tinkering with it.

EDIT: OOPS has been said already. Did find it out myself though :D

18. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    .... under pause, C is frame advance, B is slowmo, A is reset, this has been there since sonic 1.

19. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    ... and that would apply for Sonic 3D except for the fact it doesn't, due to it using a different engine :P

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    It's been used in more sega games than just the sonic series.