don't click here

Sonic 3C 0408 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 23, 2008.

1. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
  2. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    Speaking of Tails...

[​IMG]
    I forget if you get that portrait even for a complete Tails game in Sonic 3... but the real bug here is that I'm only up to Flying Battery on that save. I can only pick Zones 1-6 from this screen.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, the final Sonic 3 doesn't have the pictures for Tails.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  5. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    I was thinking that instead of the floor falling, maybe they simply made it a "forced scroll screen" (like the bombing scene in Angel Island) with obstacles, as you destroyed the robot, Just a thought, that's the fun of these prototypes, the idea of an actual level rather than just a robot and the floor.

6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    It's actually probably what IceKnight said. It's just misreading data.

7. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    We may find out this may have been a level that was a concept but hit the cutting room floor as the deadline hit and the game was split, but it may just be an artifact of the corrupted level data. Someone needs to map this out with SonED and see if it's just a garbled mess or if there's anything interesting, I'd have never known about the Japanese miles zone complete card I've only played one japanese ver. of a game, Sonic CD. (btw, I swear I hadn't seen that damn navy blue balloon...... <_<

8. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    If you're unsure about something you find, you should download Qjimbo's duel gens. You can run the final and the prototype side by side. It's really awesome. It's in the pinned topic. And I see Nemesis is viewing this topic. He can probably explain why Doomsday maps out a level....

9. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    When in object placement mode the rings counter shows the frame of the current object. but does not show the current frame of the player like in the 517 build.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  11. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
  12. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    it's the same way in the 608 beta as well.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    As much as I've been keeping up with this topic, I don't think that its been mentioned that the final S3k has more save files? I'm not sure about sonic 3 standing alone, but I know S3k has more files.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Basically the save format is the same as Sonic 3 -- 6 spaces, no record of continues. It might have been mentioned, but the number of spaces presumably was not.

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Probably the same as Sonic 3.

16. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    I think the new save format takes effect starting with S&K 0606 (locked-on to Sonic 3, of course).

17. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    <!--quoteo(post=181825:date=Feb 27 2008, 04:02 PM:name=Kamek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kamek @ Feb 27 2008, 04:02 PM) [​IMG]
    the real bug here is that I'm only up to Flying Battery on that save. I can only pick Zones 1-6 from this screen.[/quote]

Once you beat Launch Base, the game saved is marked "clear" and only allows you to choose the first 6. I need to beat the game fully to see what else it does *up to FBZ*. Btw, I checked after every zone what the save does, so far only LBZ makes that big change. I think Lava Reef marks the game as fully clear for Sonic and Tails, and Sky Sanctuary for Knuckles but I will have to check.

Edit ... It appears Flying Battery is not completable, at least not as Tails. The spider things that come from the ceiling, reminiscent of the ones in Chemical Plant, cannot grab him. So you go the other route. Then, another fork: one with another spider that does not work, and the one where the button is supposed to open both corkscrew doors. It only opens one. I cannot progress :thumbsup:

Edit2: A few other things I noticed in my playthrough. If they have been posted before I'll remove them.

[​IMG]IceCap Zone 2 - Missing spring-thing?

[​IMG]Launch Base Zone 2 - Isn't that a Robotnik box in the final?

[​IMG]Mushroom Hill Zone 1 - Nice ring pattern replacing the special ring.

[​IMG]Flying Battery Zone 2 - Tails can fly up the side no problem.

[​IMG]Flying Battery Zone 2 - Missing ball things, you can get through by spinning from the spring, you'll follow the floor and celing. It's cool.

[​IMG]Flying Battery Zone 2 - An extra platform. You get hurt by the spikes if you try to stand on it. Meant to trick you from above?

[​IMG]"" Another, farther to the right.

18. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

BTW, can somebody check level icons in the "data select" screen? PC version of S3K had a different FBZ icon, so maybe it's in one of these protos, or maybe other icons are different as well.

19. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    After the post I quoted above, mentioning FBZ and the Clear save, I was really hoping that after I beat MHZ, it would show FBZ as zone 5 with the other icon, but alas, it does not. It uses the same icon as in the final :thumbsup:

20. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    Hidden Palace Zone (Sky Sanctuary act 1):

You can actually get there by debugging to knuckles' route in LRZ2.

[​IMG]
    spring is different when you try to access the upper level.

[​IMG]
    playing area is much narrower, there is only room for 2 sets of springs to get the rings over the spikes.

[​IMG]
    No item boxes here.

[​IMG]
    3 lives here.

[​IMG]
    flame shield instead of 10ring monitor

[​IMG]
    Knuckles just looks up, he doesn't jump up and try to get the emerald.

[​IMG]
    ...Until a bit later on, there's no sounds for the electricution, and sonic is fixed. When you debug out of the fix he cant hit robotnik.

[​IMG]
    When he lands he shakes his head but doesn't signal sonic to follow, he just runs straight through the wall.

[​IMG]
    Knuckles doesn't jump on here and you are able to free roam.

[​IMG]
    Niether does he follow.

Also, no sounds for knuckles, and, when you play as knuckles on this stage its exactly the same as final.