don't click here

Sonic 3C 0408 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    When going from SSZ act2 back to the level select menu, the level select menu's background is tilted in the same way the floating island was when you left the zone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. My apologies then. I know you've been less then happy with people posting stuff that's in the final already. It's just been a very long time since I've played Sonic 3, so I don't quite remember much about it to be honest. ^.^; Anyhow, like I said - my bad.

3. Kyouteki

Kyouteki

Pending Member
  4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
  5. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Czechia
    It is well-known that Knuckles have different pallete when you are playing either as Sonic & Tails, or, as Knuckles. I mean, Knuckles in cutscenes have different pallete.

6. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Yeah, the player-controlled Knuckles uses the proper Knuckles palette while the cutscene Knuckles uses parts of the Sonic/Tails palette so they can all display onscreen at the same time. Thus the yellow socks and pink body coloration

7. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    No, the cutscene Knuckles uses a seperate palette line from Sonic and Tails. His socks are yellow, because the HUD and rings use that color, too. There's even a photo of a s3 proto that shows Knuckles with green socks and the HUD is miscolored green, too.

8. Alright guys, come on now =P let's stick to what's important on the topic which is what's different from this proto and the final, not the same. Though good call on the proto pic with the mis-colored hud. Do you know where we can see that pic?

9. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    It's over at Sonic Cult, here.

As for other differences, while most of the super emerald stages are completely different, some of them are very similar to the final. They also still use the s3 palettes. Stage 7 uses s3's layout and stage 4 is s3k's hidden special stage (the one with the golden emerald).

10. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    [​IMG]

Too many tails. I've had this happen in the final as an artifact of debug mode, but this time I wasn't messing around in debug mode.

Going through Mushroom Hill, I can't find any rings that take you to Hidden Palace, even though I have collected the first seven Chaos Emeralds. All I can find are the normal big rings that give you 50 rings. Is our two-tailed hero doomed to a life of no super transformations?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Touching the mini-boss's axe will hurt you in this proto, but not in the final.

[​IMG]
    Another "extra" pair of tails.

[​IMG]
    The super ring is missing... instead, a pair of monitors stuck in the ceiling? Knocking them down reveals...

[​IMG]
    A little russian roulette action? The layout in this area is different, too. Both MHZ1 and MHZ2 received a lot of changes before the final, it seems.

[​IMG]
    You can jump over the satellite dish and repeatedly hit the backside of the boss vehicle. This continues until you hit the satellite dish. As for the boss itself, it always takes 7 hits to destroy, regardless of how many times you hit it before the autoscrolling sequence.

11. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The red spring is missing in this area, making it impossible to continue without debug. You can still take the lower path though.

This one's hard to notice, but if you listen to the FBZ1 music long enough, you'll notice that the gap between the main theme and the "echo" of the main theme increases over time, eventually resulting in something really weird.

12. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    hmmm so it's different than the one I noticed a while back... whichever one that was...

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  14. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    The letter o appears as the second letter in all the bizarre glitch things. It appears to be loading values based on both the zone and something else, because a number of them (about 7 letters on average) have letters in common with the stage title or even entire patterns relative to it.

Unfortunately I could not find any real pattern with them despite trying a number of tests; at least, relative to stage names. They share a few letters at random, usually in 3-2 piece chunks, although the Death Egg one one can fully make the word 'Death' out of it. Il, of course, appears to be a mapping too, so I'm sure there's some logic behind it... broken logic in the program, that is. :P

15. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Yeah, there must be SOME pattern, remember these are all corruptions of BONUS STAGE, 5 letters per 2 words.

Angel Island:
    DOILUS STAGE

Flying Battery:
    BOGTIL ILRAFE

Sandopolis:
    DOPUS STAILE

Sky Sanctuary:
    CORUS STAKE

Death Egg:
    DOHUT TTAGE

The first word: They all start with a seemingly-random-but-probably-not-random-letter, then O, then another random, then what is USUALLY U. Flying Battery is the only one to retract from that, so there has to be some reason for that. IL is clearly a single character here, and is only encountered in Mushroom Hill. This has to be relevant somehow. And finally, another random.

The second word:
    Random - Random - A - Random - E

"everything else of the extended zones just makes garbage."

I'll check all the other zones myself and add them here.

16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I did check them but they weren't that funny... and I didn't label them so I'm not sure which is which. These were the only ones I kept:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

again I don't remember which zones they were... glad you guys like that so much though. Makes me feel like I did something useful =P

17. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
  18. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    I screenshotted every zone (except Doomsday as it has no lamppost :rolleyes:) I'll have them up soon.

Edit: ok here:

[​IMG][​IMG](Hydrocity, Marble Garden)
    [​IMG][​IMG](Carnival Night, IceCap)
    [​IMG][​IMG](Launch Base, Mushroom Hill)
    [​IMG][​IMG](Lava Reef, Sky Sanctuary)

(No Hidden Palace title in this proto :P)

So, we need to find a way through this formula. Note how they all DO contain the O and E I mentioned...

19. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    There's nothing too mysterious about it. Obviously the game is trying to show the "Bonus Stage" title card, but by mistake, the game has loaded the patterns for the title card of the level you're playing in instead. Normally for text like this, there would be a complete tileset for every letter in the font at fixed positions. With this, you could have a single set of tiles, and write any text you care to. In this case however, because these letters are so big, and need to be displayed onscreen for a brief time while the level is also visible, they can't afford the space in the VRAM to have an entire font loaded. To get around this, they would have created separate tilesets for the title card of each level, containing just the characters they needed. The two first characters in every title card are probably O and E, most likely because they are part of the word most title cards contain: ZONE, which is why these are the only characters which the "Bonus Stage" title card mappings display correctly in every case.

20. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    but you have to admit, Corus Stake is awesome.

well thanks to Qjimbo's awesome double gens thing, I noticed a few things in Lava Reef that I took pics of. On the left is the beta.

[​IMG]
    A different monitor

[​IMG]
    It's hard to see but on the left you can see a hole in the wall where one of those annoying enemies emerged.

[​IMG]
    The beta was a bit more complicated here.