don't click here

Megamix pirate

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ashura96, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    IS DAT SUM DDoS I SMELL?

Me too, honestly...it means more people will play it, and get a better experience than playing it on our PSPs, PC's and DS's...

2. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    No, I don't agree. I'm with Tweaker on this one.
    Others making profit off your hard work indeed sucks bigtime. I say we nuke 'em - one way or the other.

3. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Close to all of it actually. Megamix appends a lot more than it edits. While the layouts/graphics/etc are changed heavily... I wouldn't call that code.

Not that I'm siding with the pirate or anything.

EDIT:

I really don't want to waste posts with short replies since those are apparently in no great surplus to me here, so I'm going to respond to a couple posts down right here:

@nineko:

What you just said is pretty much exactly what I said. That it appends more than edits. Everything you mentioned is additional rather than replacement, except in when you mention music and art, which as I said... doesn't qualify as a code change, but rather as a data change. The thing is, almost everything is still there. Its just that there is a lot more.

I'm pretty sure the reason Tweaker went with editing Sonic 1 rather than making his own engine was so that he could have the base engine that controls Sonic 1 driving his game rather than trying to imitate it with whatever imperfections would naturally rise out of that. At least, I think that's what he told me before...

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    A lot of the internal engine has been restructured, most of the time to be more efficient whenever possible. It is true, however, that a majority of the original material remains within the ROM—especially in regards to "Original Mode."

Regardless, that doesn't affect how I feel about this situation.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I disagree here. Aside from the art and the music, which are completely redone, there is a lot of custom code there.
    I don't recall that Sonic 1 allowed you to:
    • double jump
    • have super forms
    • have 3 characters
    • use the light dash
    • have the elemental shields
    • time attack
    • save your progress
    • probably more than this but my parents are calling me from the other room because the dinner is ready so I have to go

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I'd add a lot more to that list, but publishing the internal workings of Megamix could get me killed :x Let's just say a lot more has been edited than most probably think.

7. NovaWizard

NovaWizard

M'kay Member
    S1:Megamix & S1:Pixel Perfect
    I'd just like to point out that it doesn't really matter if the code is altered enough, the hack like every other one here uses Sega's
    characters (Most of them anyway) which Sega has rights over, even fan made games in game maker and such uses copyright characters.

The difference however is that none here distribute them for profit, which these pirates do.

8. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    To me, it's like if someone downloaded Beatallica and then sold the CDs. It's not right. The team behind Megamix have demonstrated creativity in modifying Sonic 1 the way they have, and to have someone else sell it without credit is completely wrong, even if the original basis for Megamix is copyrighted.

9. I speak Russian, but I don't think that I can help, because
    firstly, my English is very bad
    secondly, I agree with Hivebrain...

10. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Unfortunately this is one of the many reasons why I haven't posted a public beta of CybOut's latest workings, I've always kind of figured something like this was liable to happen. I feel bad for Team Megamix for all their hard work to see this bullshit rise =\.

11. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Tweaker hit the nail on the head; the apathetic among us only act as such because we've really got nothing to lose from this. Selfish? Sure, but don't think I'm trying to justify what's happened here, because, well, there really isn't any plausible way to do that- thing is, Team Megamix doesn't really have anything to lose from this, either. I'm sure it's no fun knowing someone out there is making money off your hard work, but consider this; of the odd 13 German Sonic fans on the internet, just how many of them are likely to stumble across this obscure pirate peddler's site before they do S2B? And of the ones that do, how many of them are going to care enough to purchase the game?

Honestly, they're not going to profit from this. In the end, all you can do is laugh at the attempt and/or feel flattered that you've even created something worth pirating. This is clearly a milestone for hacking communities the world over! In fact, it's a damn novel idea- we should all be swindling some pocket change by shipping our hacks to shady street markets over in Hong Kong. You're squandering a huge entrepreneurial opportunity here, guys

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I honestly didn't give a damn about hbrd either.

'Sides, if SEGA sees such a game, they might use it as a paradigm for the next major Sonic game (unlikely).

Seriously, though? How can they all go and see that NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. is super-successful and then not want to do the same thing with Sonic.

(Speaking of SEGA seeing this site, does anyone remember that IGN or 1-Up interview or whatever where Naka-san discussed Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone and seem to say the same thing as what had been considered a crackpot theory -- the "you stand on the emerald and then the Emeralds do some crazy thing and you can become Super Sonic"? Was that a hoax article?)

EDIT: Here: http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/654/654750p4.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.