don't click here

Cross Products MegaDrive/MegaCD Dev system

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Nemesis, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    I just scored this little beauty:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=320203447708

This will make a nice addition to my collection. It's basically an official dev unit for the MegaDrive/MegaCD. It's not complete, but I should be able to make some use of it. I have no idea how useful it's going to be, or indeed if it's going to be useful in any way at all, but it will be interesting none the less. The MegaCD is supposedly multi-region too, which is in itself interesting. I'll check whether it's a multi-bios system, or if it's got a custom regionless bios, and I'll dump it if it's custom. I've got a small collection of undumped misc bioses/devices that I've dumped recently too (eg, both Sega Channels, XBand modem, Multi-Mega BIOS, etc) which I need to release sometime.

I really need to put all this stuff up on a site somewhere and publish some real information on it. I've still got that TeraDrive stuff I was going to scan/release months back. I've gotta figure out how to dump MegaLD games for the LaserActive too. And there's my emulator that I need to get ready for release. I wish I had more time to work on these things nowadays.

2. Flygon

Flygon

I have to say that this is very significantly interesting.

I hope this brings out more infromation on the development of the Sega CD games.

3. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    It probably won't. It might make it possible for me to more easily run various tests for my emulator though.

4. Flygon

Flygon

Ah, I understand.

5. Evil Cheese

Evil Cheese

..... Member
    Nice find.

How is your emulator coming a long btw?

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    You could've got a complete one for about $1000, you know =P

7. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Right now, slowly. I'm split about a design issue which I need to solve in order to fix a critical timing issue with the VDP, and I need more information about the bus logic in the Mega Drive, and bus logic in general, in order to redesign my bus interface. Sound reproduction is also proving to be much more difficult than I originally thought it would be. I'm still working towards a first release, and I don't have to make it "perfect" before I release it, but I do at least have to solve the timing issues with the VDP, make the Z80 core more stable, and do some other bits and peices on the system as a whole, before I can make a build worth releasing. It will happen, but at this point I'm aware of the fact that it's often better to release something later than you intended, than release it on time and having it suck.

Not from anyone I know, but at any rate, I knew I could get this one now. If you know of a guy who's got stuff like this he's willing to sell, send me a PM. Worst case, I find this unit completely useless, and later on I re-sell it for a loss of a few hundred. In the interim, I get to poke around at the system, get an idea of just how useful it is, and whether or not it's worth me trying to get a full unit.

8. Evil Cheese

Evil Cheese

..... Member
    Take your time with it. Anything that attempts to emulate something else as accurately as possible is going to be a pain in the ass to initially design.

I've always had a similar problem when it comes to releasing something because I can never accept what I've done as begin "finished". When I have control over such things and I'm sharing the source code with other people I tend to subscribe to the RERO philosophy. The first "build" is usually something that "almost" works and has problems that have me stumped for the time begin. In other words the first build is usually just a proof of concept and a cry for help in one. ;)

Feel free to post updates at leisure. I can promise you that at least one person will read and reply to them. ;)

9. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    I was particularly interested in the software that would come with it to be honest, but excellent bought nonetheless. Looking forward to all that stuff that is still yet to be released too.

10. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    You are absolutely right and got to fix this. Correct timing performance is crucial for accurate emulation (amongst other things).
    Steve Snake himself once told me that emulating the MD/Gen is actually harder than a Snes so don't think you are doing a poor job.

Seeing what you have already shown in the past, I do believe you are capable of creating a sufficiently accurate emulator.
    Hang in there!

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Wow, there are two more of these on Ebay right now. One includes users manual and stuff..

Too bad they're so expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.