don't click here

Sonic 1

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skaarg, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claxon

Claxon

Yes that is how it would have had to happen, providing the devices had sufficient memory for all of the rotated sprites. I think it was removed for a combination of reasons - the heap usage, increases in file size pushing it close/over limits, and so on.

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    So wait... Claxon is a developer for Sonic 1 Mobile... woah. that's pretty nifty. In what form did you get the original material? Since the Marble Zone UFO is in the sprites I take it you got the data from SEGA in an "uncompiled" format?

Also, since Glu treated you so badly, hows about sharing some of that data? =P

3. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I find it highly ironic that they couldn't have hired people like Claxon for the GBA port. I can only imagine the difficulties of making a port work decently on something as small and potentially weak as an iPod.

Of course, I'd ask questions, but there isn't much I have in mind. Mainly, I wonder what type of code you, Claxon, were given to take and make usable on the iPod when you started off.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Shall we keep all this to just one topic? Since there's two discussing essentially the same and that.

5. Claxon

Claxon

Yes What IK said. And I didn't make the iPod version, I did j2me enabled mobile phones. On a more on topic note, I wouldn't imagine that making Sonic on the iPod is terribly difficult. After all I have Doom running on a linuxified model of an ipod Mini, which managed to perform better than the original PC I used to play it on.

6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    The crap in my cell phone that calls itself "Sonic 1" sucks. It's impossible to control on a cell or anything else without a proper controller!

7. Claxon

Claxon

Really? What model is it? I've never had any issue with the mobile controls on my phone (Sony Ericsson k750i), which has mini joystick (although using the keypad tends to allow better control anyway) & accepts multiple simultaneous keypresses. If yours really is so bad that it's 'impossible' my guess would be that you're using a slow handset, which is causing the controls to be less responsive.

I'm not sure about controls on this ipod version though, I always found iPod buttons awkward to use for any sort of game.

8. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I think my phone is a Samsung d600 or something similar. Sonic fucking sucks on it.

9. Claxon

Claxon

That's Samsungs for you I'm afraid, they tend to make the best looking phones, but rarely are they capable of intense processing. In fact the only manufacturer I'd recommend is Sony Ericsson. Samsungs are slow, Motorola tend to recycle 3 year old components and have never been terribly good at sound, LG's tend to have random glitches & require separate builds for each device, Nokia's are quite a ride range, but are generally have better power than other manufacturers equivalents, alas they have some horrific memory management issues along with lots of graphical & audio inconsistencies.

Ah the wonderful world of "Build once, run anywhere"

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes the samsung I used to have ran Sonic 1 terribly. The one I have now isn't that great (Motorola), but it is definitely better than the Samsung one ever was.

Funny thing about the Ipod version of this game. The swinging platforms in Marble zone taken from Green Hill Zone don't have any palette adjustments like in the original (they're still brown instead of purple). Also the life icon in the HUD is not affected by being underwater, nor does the title card, which I think both are in the original.

11. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    You may blame non-indexed paletted graphics.

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Also, to people saying the GBA is a better candidate; other than graphics and controls, the iPod surpasses it in every other degree as reasons for a port platform.

13. Claxon

Claxon

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

A RAZR V3m...which probably explains everything.

15. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    According to video they apparently fixed the spike bug. Just a tidbit you guys might want to know.

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Control being probably the single most important aspect of a game, of course. Graphics are debatably important, but are still a pretty large part of the experience.

17. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    From that video, it seems they left the REV01 shit out though.

18. Wincherway

Wincherway

Obnoxious user
    I hope this is actually better than GBA version. That was much more worse than Sonic 06.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It is—it's practically a perfect port, even, stemmed from the original source.

There was a video earlier in the thread, I think. You should probably check it out.

20. Wincherway

Wincherway

Obnoxious user
    Post 55#?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.