don't click here

Dust Hill description in an old magazine

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaarg

Skaarg

Ok now I have couple reasons to believe this scan is a hoax here are my reeasons...

1. If Sonic fell in the pic where he is currently wouldn't Sonic have picked up those 2 rings he's touching if he'd already started moving a bit.

2. If sonic was hit by the robotnic mobile (can't remember name) wouldn't he have fallen further back than his current possition and walked to where he is in the picture picking up a few rings.

2. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Maybe they're just more mock-up pictures. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that Dust Hill is Mystic Cave Zone, and not the desert level.

3. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Im gonna say what I said before

When people talk about Mystic Caves in the beta, they call it that, Mystic Caves. You don't say "Dust Hill in the beta is really hard"... get it? so

I don't see what the big deal is about people calling that desert zone Dust Hill. Yes it's not the official name, but we give names to glitches and sprite recollerings, we can certainly give the desert level a name. Why not Dust Hill? I know you can say "Why not Genocide City?" too but well, given the two, Dust hill is better.

I mean, for crying out loud, if we give name to gliches (Ashura, Wechnia) we can certainly name the zone Dust Hill I thikn. As long as people know it's not the real name.

4. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Damnit, Dust Hill IS the beta name for Mystic Caves. We've proved that ages ago.

You might as well just call the desert zone The Desert Zone, or TDZ, it's as good as name as you need...

5. Kampfer

Kampfer

He might have got hit by a falling spike. Maybe he didn't get hit at all, they might not have fixed the bug where Tails loses Sonic's rings yet.

Just an idea.

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I say it's buggy collision detection. Nobody said a prototype version of a game had to be perfect.

7. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Damnit?... okay I KNOW it was the beta name for Mystic Caves... but people never call it Dust Hill. My point is, I do't see what the problem is with people calling the desert level Dust Hill. It just bugs me when someone says Dust Hill and someone else goes "Nope that wasn't the name for the desert zone and ladidada" like they're so smart.

I just don't see the big deal, whatever

8. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    The big deal is that it's misinformation. It's proven that Dust Hill is Mystic Cave, so why say what's not true? Do you regularly go about saying things whichare not true?

9. PinkRose324

PinkRose324

*HIC* The Drunken Member *HIC* Pending Member
    Another thing about that pic is if Sonic and Tails were close to the rings, wouldn't they pick it up? They are, but thte ring count is STILL zero.

10. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    In our beta, I noticed that after you get hit, it takes a little bit before you can pick up rings you've lost. Maybe that same bug is still there.

11. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet

12. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    .... yeeeeeessss ^_^

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's not a hoax, it's from an EGM preview where they were using a working prototype. Just look for the whole scans, they must be somewhere at SOST and/or Sonic CulT.

14. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    My God here we go again with the Dust-Hill-name-calling. Look, who cares what we call the Dust Hill mock-up. We ALL know the Dust Hill is the name for Mystic Caves from this beta until just before the final game. But when people say Dust Hill, usually they'd think of the mock-up picture. Why? Because it's been 5+ years people have named that picture as Dust Hill all because of a stupid rumor.

Now I call it Dust Hill because it has been the Title, the Label, or the Description of a specific picture many people have seen. Also, saying the desert level can mean any Sonic game zone [ex: Sandopolis, 2-Player mode Desert Palace, etc.] HOWEVER on this board, desert level is known as the mock-up picture. I don't see the big deal with calling that picture Dust Hill except that it was not the official name of the zone. Neither was "The Skyscraper Zone -> Oil Ocean", "The Metallic Zone -> Chemical Plant", "The Garden Zone -> Aquatic Ruins" but that's another story.

15. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    ..Except surely you'd call them 'Desert Palace' and 'Sandopolis' anyway? :P

Personally, I don't see the big problem in referring to the mockup as the 'desert zone' - heck, I managed to slip into doing it in a matter of days. It's pretty specific as to what is being talked about; there shouldn't be any confusion as to whether it's the mockup or not, since there's no actual level called 'Desert Zone' in any of the games. In fact, calling it 'Dust Hill' is likely to cause more confusion, as people now seem to be starting to refer to the prototype versions of Mystic Cave by that name.

Who cares what it's been called in the past? Names change in everything. Things adapt based on new information. If we adapt our information now, it'll save a hell of a lot of confusion in the future.

..But do you see anyone using those now? No. They were just descriptions based on the screenshots, made up by the magazines until they got the names of the zones. Oil Ocean, in the shot referred to, does look like it could be set among scaffolding on a skyscraper; Chemical Plant does look metallic, and there's no denying Aquatic Ruin looks like a garden of sorts. But they then were given official names, and these descriptions were dropped. The 'desert zone', however, has no official name that we know of; rather than associate it with the old name of another Zone, it's probably better to use a description until we learn more about it. Like, for example, 'the desert zone'. :P

But, yeah. This topic's been going on for a while, so most of this has probably been said already...

16. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    It could be that names had not been finalised at that point for those zones; it's more likelky that the magazine made them up but there's always the other possibility.

17. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    I'm sticking with my theory that Dust Hill (yell at me if you want) used the level slot of Mystic Caves in the beta. When they scrapped Dust Hill, they stuck Mystic Caves in the same level slot and just never got around to changing the name on the level select until the game was much closer to being released. (Probably more around the time of our 'manual screenshot beta')

18. D-1337r!

D-1337r!

Well, I think that it was in following order: [DRX'S PROTO], SEGA created (or tried to create) a desert level, named it first "Desert Zone" (on the BANPER sketch), then "Dust Hill", then ideas changed to winter zone, next - to Mystic Cave Zone [OUR PROTO], Dust Hill renamed to Mystic Cave Zone, [FINAL]. If we had more protos, situation would be much more clear.

19. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Congratulations, you've made a 3 1/2 year bump. That's gotta be a new record for this place.

Sarcasm aside, try to do a bit of research before posting. It helps avoid little mishaps like this.

EDIT: Never was good at math, or time for that matter.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh wow, that's like a new record for all the internet. 4 year bump = winner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.