don't click here

(retro) Sonic XG - DEMO - UPDATED 15th august

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sir Euan, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

LOL Chaos emeralds look exactly like Master Emerald.

2. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    I am loving this! It really captures the feel of the classic games. Excellent work so far!

I do have one gripe, though. It's a huge peeve of mine when sprites are rotated, instead of having frames made for going over a curve or around a loop. I think it looks very cheap, and it would be great if you could make the appropriate frames instead of using that cheesy effect.

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    [​IMG]
    From Euan's new sig at SFGHQ. :blink:

Apparently there's a big hoopla over there over this 'un. Taxman DID come forth and propose that the two projects merge... but what I want to know is, does this mean Retro Sonic is being scrapped in favor of Retro Sonic XG, that Sonic XG is being scrapped in favor of Retro Sonic XG, that Retro Sonic XG is borrowing elements from both games, or that they remain separate "missions" to be used with one single program...?

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Will somebody mirror this somewhere (preferably not Rapidshare or any of that shit) coz the site has been taken down due to the bandwidth limit being exceeded.

6. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
  7. Sir Euan

Sir Euan

Glasgow, Scotland
    http://www.iameuangallacher.co.uk
    Just some tidbits from SFGHQ;

http://sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3243

----------------------------------------

A little buggy, too tired to explain, tis 2.30am, was at work today.

Me and Joe worked our arses off, enjoy it.

HAHAHAHAHAH

http://www.williamg.plus.com/SXGWEBSITE/

http://www.williamg.plus.com/SXGWEBSITE/SXGDEMO1.zip (edit: doesn't work anymore, you whores! =P)

PS. oh yeah one bugs is the powerup music is screwy, will fix for demo 2, prolly coming 2012

hai guys!

My webspace went down overnight just got it back cos SXG demo was whored out woo!

Anyone mind hosting it for me? My piddly bandwidth (cos my space is an extra with my ISP) can't cope! wtf

Ta for playing.

8. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Knuckles' game seems to be very buggy from what I saw. On Act 2 of Final Fall, it wouldn't let me go past the first bridge, as if a huge invisible barrier was blocking the way that could be climbed up. May have been intentional as things weren't finished for Knuckles, but I thought I'd bring it up. The other issue was that in Act 1, Knuckles has a tendancy to get stuck in his climbing pose for the duration of the act. I've had it happen each time I've played it, and in random places (During first Nack/Fang fight and in tube afterwards for example).

Other than that, this is looking like a very nice start. Tails' flying and Knuckles' gliding could use some work, but besides that, keep up the good work.

9. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Awesome! The special stage blew me away! But I noticed some bugs, mostly with the music—the invincibility music sometimes replaces itself with the regular level music (so that when I pick up an invincibility monitor, the regular music just restarts), and once, the level music restarted simultaneously with the end-of-level music on the signpost screen. Apart from that, looking good! I can't wait to see what kind of tricks there are in the later special stages...

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So with the Retro Sonic and Sonic XG merger, what will be taken from each of the individual games to be put into that game? IMO the perfect combination would be Retro Sonic's sprites and engine with Sonic XGs levels and plot.

11. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, I'm wondering that myself...

12. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
  13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Looking things over, it looks like Retro Sonic XG has Egg Garden in it some time...? Which is good, because I am <3 Egg Garden Zone.

Although I'm curious if Final Fall remains in there. It's surprisingly violent, after all (no, not in the "blood and guts" sense, but in the "giant catastrophic event happens" sense - such as the utter destruction of Angel Island)...

14. CloverCC

CloverCC

You know, this is pretty cool. I dug the intro song (From the S3K Remix album, right? :P)

15. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

The thing with Knuckles in act 2 is that some flaming piece of land/death egg is supposed to destroy the bridge so you can go down...but sometimes the event isn't triggered (?!)

Also, WHY THE HELL DOES THE GAME FUCKING MAX OUT THE SYSTEM VOLUME WHEN I FACE NACK IN THE HIDDEN PALACE AREA? THAT WAS SO FUCKING ANNOYING AND IT ALMOST BLEW MY EARS OUT...please fix that. :)

16. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    It better stay, cause that is the fucking best original level I have ever played.

17. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

This has got to be the best Sonic game I've played so far. I can't wait until the next demo!

EDIT: Oh, and when I first played as Knuckles, I couldn't get enough speed going up the tube after beating Fang, and I got stuck in it.

18. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Fucking amazing, WINE runs it fine, too!

19. I've got a few questions:

-Tails' tails are going to be implented later right?
    -Are you going to make a (stretched) full screen view?

-and some coments:

-The title screen song is also used in Sonic Robo Blast 2.
    -That HPZ part at the beginning of Knuckles' story is great!
    -Fang/Nack is a great boss!
    -The music at the beginning of Knuckles' story gets a little annoying after some time (just like it did in Knuckles' Chaotix).
    -The Special Stage is really original.
    -I haven't seen any corksqrews in the demo. I have seen in one in a mockup picture
    -If you fall in a "bottomless" pit or get crushed, your collected rings stay kept when you return to a lamppost/the beginning of the level.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You can jump in mid-air if you're in the standing pose, oops!

Great game and amazing level, by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.