don't click here

Sonic 1 Remastered

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Puto, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like the idea, but as Tweaker said it rapes all the difficulty the game had. I suggest that you only have the big ring worth 50 for the next level, but no other rings.

4. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Not really, because you still lose rings when you die / get hurt / whatever. Also, you no longer gain a life when you get 100 rings. Rather, you gain a life if you finish a level with 100 or more rings.

5. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
    I think Cinossu did it as part of a Mario recreation, yeah.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I have done that as part of a Mario-esque hack, yes, but I don't remember releasing any information about that specific thing here. :x

7. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
  8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
  9. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
  10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I love how you avoid walking when you're Super Sonic so the bad walking animation doesn't show up.

11. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    It's looking good.

Tweaker says that the idea of keeping your rings across levels rapes the difficulty, but on most levels there is a ring or three RIGHT at the start anyway, whether or not you start the level with 1 or 999 rings shouldn't make any difference. Even if you started with 0, chances are you'll have at least 1 by the time you come across some obstacle that could hurt you. I think it's a cool challenge to try to keep a large amount of rings for as long as possible, make you be more cautious about being hurt, as you'd rather not lose all the rings you've gained.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    So, is this capped at 999, or will you add a digit to the HUD and make it 9999?

13. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    True there's usually always rings when you start a level anyways. But when you only have a few to lose, there are less for you to re-grab when hit. So yeah, it can remove difficulty a bit. On the other hand, the not getting a life every 100 rings adds the difficulty, so it evens out.
    I do have a couple questions about the keeping rings things. Say I end act 1 with 100 rings and get a free life, then I complete act 2 with say 180 rings (including the 100 that were rolled over), would I get another life? Wouldn't seem fair to get more than one life for the same 100 rings. Also, say I were to end a round with 270 rings, would I get two free lives, or just the one?

14. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that rings have always ben capped at 999.

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yes, but the variable itself can store more than this. Why don't you edit the cap and make it 9999? You just need to add another digit to the HUD.

16. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    You make it sound so simple. He'd need to alter the HUD mappings, find space in VRAM to accomodate this extra digit, and then reprogram the ring updating stuff to account for an extra number to make it automatcially update in the VRAM. It's not necessarily hard to do once you work out what needs doing, but it's not just a case of extending the mappings as you made it sound.

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Apart from editing the mappings, which would be semi-tedious, it actually wouldn't be so hard to do. For space in VRAM, unless it's already been used already, there is space for extra digit(s? can't remember c.c) just before the original HUD VRAM position. Altering the actual display code might be the hardest part, although in Sonic 1 it's pretty easy too.

18. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
    Because 999 rings is already an immensely big value? Although I'm considering a prize if you reach 999 rings. Maybe free Super Sonic even without the emeralds?

19. Rail Road

Rail Road

If you could get that many rings maybe it would be a good idea to make the score for rings worth less. But who goes for score on a Sonic game anyways. :P

20. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    Or just have an internal counter for rings obtained during that act, and then only those count towards points at the end of the level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.