don't click here

More stages we don't have!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Vague Rant, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vague Rant

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute Oldbie
    Sorry about the topic name, I couldn't think of anything that would get your attention without actually promising anything. I found this page, where save states of all these stages are available:

Wood Zone Act 2
    Mrr Aol Zone
    Meraolodhi Zone
    A tails box in a messed Emerald Hill.
    EXCLUSIVE! Genocide City Zone
    EXCLUSIVE! Genocide City Zone Act 2
    EXCLUSIVE! Death Egg Zone Act 1
    EXCLUSIVE! Death Egg Zone Act 2
    Wing Water Zone(Yellow Sonic)
    Demo Select!

Now I don't claim these are real, please view them yourself, and don't blame me if they are false. I've tested only the Wood Zone one, and when it worked, I came straight here.

Well, what do you think?

[EDIT]I just died, and I ended up at another stage. I think he might have changed the palletes and some of the graphic locations, and when you die, the system reloads the correct palletes. If I'm right, sorry about the false alarm.

Also, I unzipped them all, renamed them, and added them to one zip, for easier use. The zip is here.[/EDIT]

2. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Not really master of theory debunking anymore Tech Member
    Custom Game Engine Prototypes
    Without even looking at them, I can almost guarentee they're all fakes. Why? Because savestates are definately not guarenteed sources of data. I remember when I used to do hacking a long time ago, I had a Death Egg palettized Emerald Hill with the Death Egg itself marching around. ;) That was pretty cool, but also absolutely false.

Savestates are just RAM images. Editing them lets you alter anything you want... temporarily. (eg. until you die)

However, just for curiosities sake, the savestates are kind of cool looking...
    It'd be more valid if one could say that it was only a simple trick somehow to get them to load this level data, such as an accurate outline of the Sonic ROM and pointing to where corrupt/unpointered level data exists in flow with other level data.

3. Those are all hacked... Sorry. Looks like whoever did it just changed random values too...

4. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Yup, after checking out a few of them, I can see some patterns to it. Mostly what they seem to have done is taken a savestate in the middle of the process of a zone "loading" (decompressing its guts from the ROM) and then overwrote the data inside the savestate with new information (usually from another level). There was that one named "Mrr Aol" which was functionally Hill Top save for incorrect BGM and a bad tileset among a few other features.

So yes, bad hacks is all they are.

5. Vague Rant

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute Oldbie
    *looks sheepish*

Hey, sorry about that. How many chances do us n00bs get, exactly?

6. Chances...? I see nothing wrong with you. ^ ^

7. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    n00bs don't get much chances at me, but your nowhere near a turd.

8. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    No problem, don't worry about it :P

9. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Right, it's better to debunk things early before rumors start, yes? ;)

10. SonKnuck

SonKnuck

The Lazy Guy Oldbie
    Quebec
    DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
    pffffft, I never said that was really the zones. I just called them that cause the value I replaced was the value of that zone.

And EXCUSE them for being bad hacks but they are what? 5 years old? maybe even more...

11. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    Those are from early '99, if I remember correctly.

That would make them more than 5 years old, yeah.

(It also means I've been around for five years and a half. Gah. :shock:)

12. SonKnuck

SonKnuck

The Lazy Guy Oldbie
    Quebec
    DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
    Yeah, must be early 99'

13. Mach Sonic

Mach Sonic

Founder of Sonic Nutshell Oldbie
    North Carolina
    M.U.G.E.N.
    Well to be honest, it would be very nice if any of these stages actually existed. I mean, what are the odds after all? It could be hidden deep within the crevices of the game and we wouldn't know until we find it.

14. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Vaguely possible, but the question would then be, why would Sega have broken it? Except possibly to keep some things covered up until final release... OR because the level format had changed somewhere in development and only the levels they were to show off were converted?

15. Mach Sonic

Mach Sonic

North Carolina
    M.U.G.E.N.
    Well, Sega's business likes to keep a lot of things hidden. This, would be one of them. Like all the other games found about the Internet, there's got to be a pre-release of this Sonic 2 game with these stages in it. Like the seemingly buried game, Dust Hill Zone. And like Wood Zone, accept with the left over pallete, they just have to be located. There might be something left over from these stages, however. If you use SonED, you could run into some interesting Sprite Combonations. Like there was a sprite I discovered in Sonic 3, that when you hit it, it would restart the game. I thought it was cool. Also, messing with the pointers in certain stages can possibly lead to the left over information of any of these stages, just like how Wood Zone's pallete was discovered back (way back) when Area 51 was around.

BTW, you can really tell those stages are fake. =P Sorry for late notice, I just finally decided to look at them. Just glance though, they were either pallete hacked, Glitched to hell, or both.

16. Vague Rant

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute Oldbie
    That's what Sonic 2 Beta's for. ;) And just because these stages might have existed at some point, doesn't mean that a ROM image is out there somewhere on the net - the beta might have been a one off. And anyway, there's no proof that DHZ was ever actually in production: the art was done, but it could have been scrapped before it was started.

17. Mach Sonic

Mach Sonic

North Carolina
    M.U.G.E.N.
    Yes that is entirely true. What if it were possible though, inside our little beta, that we're able to find even the slightest left over information about the "Dust Hill" zone? Besides that picture of the uncentered sonic we've held for quite some time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.