don't click here

Sonic 1 Remastered

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Puto, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Change Tails gray pallet to the one in Sonic 3 and it will look better.

2. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Remove that 'dent' in the grass under the capsule, move the capsule or place that little pit were Sonic stands instead.
    As is, it looks awkward.

3. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Ok, since I now have the exams at the university and whatnot, I'm not gonna have a lot of time to work on this for a while, and so, I'm making a public release. This has bugs, some annoying, some not so annoying, and it's in no way complete, but for now, it'll have to do.

Sonic 1 Remastered 0.1 (Binary ROM)
    Sonic 1 Remastered 0.1 (Zipped source code, for anyone who's interested. Don't use it without giving me credit.)

Credit to everyone mentioned on this thread. If I forgot someone, they're probably on the credits screen at the end of the game :P

Some of the known bugs:
    • Some of the songs aren't that great.
    • When the egg prison is broken, you start floating in mid-air for whatever reason.
    • The spindash has no dust, and Tails has no tails.
    • The spindash doesn't destroy monitors if you're right next to them when you spindash.
    • Sometimes, Tails can't move while flying.
    • Tails doesn't have tired or swimming animations.
    • Some sprites have weird numbers in them.
    Features:
    • Play as Sonic or Tails.
    • Tails flies and spindashes.
    • Sonic spin-dashes, peelouts, and can do the high-speed-dash.
    • The high-speed-dash is an attack that sends you rolling forward at a specific speed when you press A or B. Kinda like an instant spindash that can be used while moving.
    • Sonic 3 sprites for Sonic.
    • Different music for each act.
    • Credits font used for the title cards.
    • Some other stuff I don't remember anymore.
    To build the source code under Windows, double-click the nmake.exe app. To build it on an unix system (Linux/x86, FreeBSD/x86, Mac OS X/ppc+x86 or Cygwin/x86 only), type "make" in a terminal. GNU make required on unix. GAS is included in binaries for several OSs in the source code.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't think releasing your source code is very wise... Just my opinion, though.

5. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
    [​IMG]

Tails now has a proper tired animation.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Alright, here is my opinion of what you've done so far.

Sonic : The B move thing is kinda strange and for a while I had no idea why that was happening, until I read your post. It's fine though. Sonic's animations run smootly and flow just as they did in Sonic 3, good job. No problems with Sonic, just add a Super Peel Out animation and the spindash dust and your all set

Tails : Good for the most part. As you said there is no tired or flying animation in the demo, but you'll fix that. Doesn't have tails either. One odd thing is that Tails' sliding/braking animation is his pushing animation and when you run up against something he just is walking instead of pushing. Fix please.

Your overall tech stuff : Not that you did too much of it, but for the most part it's good. Nothing comes out of the Egg prison and there is that stupid glitch where you float around (You can still use the B dash move after you hit the capsle by the way). Green Hill has a couple messed up tiles which I really only noticed while playing as Tails. All the moves you added work fine and the Level cards look good. I like the "You suck at Special Stages" screen. One more thing. You seem to have mixed up your labarynth zone palettes. Now the regular level takes the Scrap Brain act 3 palette and the other way around. FIX PLZ

Music : THIS is the downfall of you hack. I'm sorry but playing through the game I cannot agree with many of your musical choices.
    The Bads
    Green Hill Zone Act 1
    Green Hill Zone Act 3
    Marble Zone Act 3
    Spring Yard Zone Act 2
    Spring Yard Zone Act 3
    Labarynth Zone Act 2
    Star Light Zone Act 1
    Star Light Zone Act 3
    Scrap Brain Zone Act 2
    Scrap Brain Zone Act 3
    Special Stage Music
    Speed Shoe Music

Now for the songs I listed either they just don't work, don't sound right, or both (Best example of that would probably be SYZ 3)The rest are decent. Nothing really stands out in my opinion

Here is your grade report
    Sonic:9.5/10
    Tails:7/10
    Technical stuff:8/10
    Music:4/10
    Overall:6/10

7. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
    The LZ Palette stuff was intentional, I like it better that way.

I don't know how to fix the "he's just walking instead of pushing", but the breaking animation is an easy fix. Thanks :thumbsup:

The music stuff is still undergoing many changes.

8. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Hmm, why do you use Cowering's .gen extension for your rom?

No-one likes it anyway...

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    When I asked him about this, he told me that it's easier to register than .bin, because .bin files can be also stuff of other nature and not just Genesis roms.
    I don't like this, either, and I don't need to double click on roms because I always load roms directly from Gens, but I guess that at least it makes sense.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    .md would make more sense. =P

11. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    I'm sorry, I'm not feeling the music choices in a lot of places.

GHZ III
    MZ I and II
    SYZ I'm kinda iffy on, it almost fits, but I think without editing some art or somethin' it just plain won't.
    LZ Still trying to figure out why Sandopolis kinda works here...
    SLZ I and III
    SBZ II I'm a bit iffy on, mainly because it's broken. I understand III is going to be moved, so I won't say anything on that one.

I really wanna like some of the songs you picked, but they're broken.

12. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Not really, but .smd & .bin are the most used extensions so he should pick .smd if he doesn't want to use .bin

13. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

.smd is a different format than .bin and .gen files.

14. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    All three are used, and each of them correspond with a different format

.bin - Raw binary (normal address order, no changes)
    .md - all odd addresses in the first half, all even in the second
    .smd - 512k header, stored in 16k banks, each with all odd addresses first, then all even

He will either have to convert the ROM to the appropriate format to be able to use ".smd" or ".md", or will have to settle for ".bin" or ".gen" :P

15. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    I like how the mystery box gives temporary Super Sonic powers.

I like the SLZ1 music, intentionally strange or not. Sometimes one of the instruments changes in the middle of the level and sounds bad, though.

There's a floating bug if you stand on top of a monitor and dash.

16. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    I think you're confusing "wise" with "selfish" in a way that seems to be very common in ROM hacking communities (but especially this one).

17. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    Sonic Adventures EX, Sonic 2 Redemption Edition
    I don't wish to offend but I think there are reasons both for and against releasing source code, I too at first wondered why there isn't a codebase like you would find for Darkbasic, Java or C but after taking the time to explore the forum a little I think I can understand why a lot of the rom hackers / programmers keep there code close to their chest - There are a lot of lame ass people out there who would be just ripping off other peoples code/hacks time and time again.... At least this way we don't end up with 100 hacks released by a 100 people all build on the same code !!! and not only that it forces those who want to learn ASM and hacking to learn like I am - this time last week I didnt have a clue about ASM but I am slowley learning by research and experimentation and you will find that as long as you are polite and don't demand help but ask for advice and guidence here you will get it. don't get me wrong if people want to share code that's cool too but it is at the choice of the Hacker / Programmer and not for others to judge and deem selfish !!! Just out of curiosity have seen the amount of work Tweaker has put into Megamix? Now imagine if he realeased his code... It somehow would seem fair would it?

18. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Tweaker is only the ringleader on the Megamix project, there have been numerous other workers.

19. CloverCC

CloverCC

I do say, I actually like it. You know, the only things I have to criticize is tail's tails flying, and the menu.. Even if it is to be made simple, it's just 'strange' how it loads after character selection.. I know there's alot more stuff that's buggy, but as I know, you're still working on it. :)

20. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    Oh, I understand the reasoning behind it, I just disagree with the reasons that are slightly less close to the surface than the ones you bring up. But I'd rather not derail this topic. if you care to continue the discussion, PM me to ask wtf I'm on about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.