don't click here

Sonic Next

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Qjimbo, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silanda

Silanda

Panzer Dragoon Orta.

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Orta was a shambles. When they were Team Andromeda they made Panzer Dragoon Saga (Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG) and that was beautiful.

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    And Orta was a shambles, because...?

Seriously, I distinctly remember greatly enjoying that one.

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The reviews criticised it for having a good story (something Team Andromeda have always been famous for is the detail they put into their universe) but lacking in actual gameplay.

To add my personal opinion to that, I disliked the turn the storyline took when Smilebit tacked their history onto Team Andromeda's previous work - it doesn't have the same rich feel to it that the previously implemented storyline had.

5. Silanda

Silanda

Well, I enjoyed it a lot. Yes the gameplay wasn't overly complex, but it is simple shooter and they are not exactly well known for their depth. The graphics, sound, and overall production values were good too.

Too simple perhaps, yes, but a shambles? I don't see how it can be described as that in any way, shape, or form.

6. Blazer

Blazer

Famitsu gave it a 30/40. Also the users' reviews in Gamefaqs are giving it good ratings. So are the Gamespot users.

7. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I wouldn't give individual GameFAQs reviewers much credit, truth be told. They tend to overrate things when it comes to the later entries of the Sonic series.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    GameFAQs users don't matter. They're GameFAQs users.

And GameSpot and GameFAQs share a users database, so.

9. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    What I want in a Sonic game is a game good enough there isn't endless squabbling about whether it's good or not. I mean, you can't really dispute Sonic 2 did something right, but these days, every new game is "Well, it's good! ...Or wait, it isn't. Or maybe it's somewhere in-between? God, this game is confusing. Somebody made this part good, this part hideous, and this part meh!"

This is what has been going on; and until I see a game which can impress people who have been hardened against Sonic by these sorts of games, I'm not gonna believe the game to be so good as to buy an entire console for it. Now if it's a game like Shadow the Hedgehog, where I have a console and can pick it up really easily, well, meh, 40 dollars isn't that much to waste. And indeed, I got my paltry 40 dollar's worth out of it.

But this, Sega, is not the reinvention. This is rehash. Re-hash. Nothing to do with new things, unless it's new to add characters, use bottomless pits, and above all, avoid changing the actual feel of the game. (While I have been unable to play it, all the videos I've watched give me flashbacks allll the way back to Sonic Adventure.)

Take my opinion what you will; this is just my two cents. My very, very dissappointed two cents. Sonic was what got me into video gaming; and at this rate, might someday be my reason to stop playing them at all. X_x

10. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    so? Play Magazine gave it an 85%.... but look at this:
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/929717.asp

I mean 48%?... im sorry but that's just pathetic I even read one review that ended on "Sonic is dead to us now..." how sad :disgust:

11. Blazer

Blazer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of making a game to complace the users who play it? After all, they're the ones who buy them, not the "professional reviewers".

Read above.

Where did you get that info from?

Did you see this video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLTp3PcSSQ...ted&search=

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Doesn't mean they know a bad game when they see it. I swear, there's even a good review for Sonic Genesis there, and I think I actually saw people defending the game on the forum. I swear, you have to be a special kind of retarded to NOT think that port sucks.

Common knowledge. Try making a post in one, and then viewing the same forum for the same game on the same system on the other site. Your post will be there, too.

That PROVES his point, actually; they rehashed Emerald Coast. And I heard it wasn't a GOOD rehash, either.

13. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Yes... in fact, that video shocked me. Here is a list of things taken from previous games:

Sonic Adventure 1
    *Vertical Spike bar dropping things
    * Ramps with zip things
    *Killer Whale
    *Walking sideways on the wall
    *The sideways loop-de-loops
    *The boardwalk structures
    *The goal Gates
    *Leaping from one wall to another
    *Springs which (uncontrollablt) move you ahead
    *Light dash trails (of rings)
    *The lighthouse

Sonic Adventure 2
    *The bars you spin on
    *Grinding bars
    *The gates you need to spin under
    *Places where you homing dash from one enemy to another
    *Some spring styles
    *Piles of boxes

Sonic Heroes
    *Trading off scharacters
    *Inane in-stage mini-tasks
    *Obnoxious help circles
    *Ring bombs

Shadow the Hedgehog
    *Characters screaming at one another various commands
    *Mission objectives (as opposed to just moving through the stage
    *Sci-fi style enemies

New to this:
    *Horribly long load times
    *Uncontrollable running sequences through obstacle courses (frustrating)
    *Strange, slippery sliding across water things
    *More opportunities to fall to your death
    *Lack of alternate paths (I saw the occasional one, but they seemed... unusable)

All in all, not just a rehash, but a bad one. Sure, reuse what you want (they did it across the 2D Sonics), but create a new 'feel', perhaps something innovative. Everything I've seen so far is a regurgitation of cliches from past games. The few new twists only seem to make it frustrating instead of more exciting. And I've read the story; needless to say, that's not much of an improvement either.

I agree with most of the media outlets; this looks tedious, not fun.

14. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    <!--quoteo(post=155388:date=Dec 18 2006, 02:45 AM:name=Blazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blazer @ Dec 18 2006, 02:45 AM) [​IMG]

15. Blazer

Blazer

Everyone, check this:
    There is still hope. It looks like the PS3 version is going to have the glitches and problems fixed. Pretty much a fixed version as Sonic Adventure International was.

I see. They decided to rehash the most used theme for a Sonic stage in the series, so this game is just a rehash. Yep, that makes perfect sence.

Wow... So every Sonic game created after Sonic 1 sucks, because they used tons of elements from previous Sonic games?

"*Horribly long load times"
    You're right. But according to the complains I've heard, they're present only when doing Town Missions.

"*Uncontrollable running sequences through obstacle courses (frustrating)"
    I think those complains are retarded. You have FULL control of the character in the Mach Speed Zones. If you find them hard, that's because you need practice. The rule for evey game is that if you find it hard, you just have to practice so you can beat it. But these days, it seems like many Sonic fans think that high difficulty= bad. All the complains I've heard about SAdv3 seem to hint at that.
    So in short, any game you suck at is automaticaly bad?

"**Strange, slippery sliding across water things"
    ...the hell? How can you tell that if you have NEVER played it?

"*More opportunities to fall to your death"
    That again. It seems that the Sonic games have to be easy as the Genesis Sonic games to be decent ones, according to the logic of some fans these days. Which, by the way, I completly disagree with.

"*Lack of alternate paths (I saw the occasional one, but they seemed... unusable)"
    Again: How are you sure when you haven't played it? There can be many hidden paths, like in S3&K.

Check this:
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/son...hog/review.html

Check these stats:
    You say = 7.1 (750 votes)
    Player reviews = 92
    Wish Lists = 1,311

I don't see that in any part of Gamefaqs.

16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    well yeah sure, but the thing is, I've herad a lot of long time fans of Sonic also dislike this game.
    and well Im going to listen to reviews. Just because they aren't the ones buying the game doesn't mean I should count their opinions.

I wasn't that impressed with that video either... it just didn't look good :disgust:
    and who is this guy anyway Because some guy makes a video on youtube, I should listen to him over professional reviewers?

and what numours sources? I sure haven't seen any except a few people here and there saying so. Sonic Team has released half assed games so many times there's no way Im going to believe it either. Shadow the Hedgehog was horrible as well. Sonic Heroes was buggy as all hell. They're just peddling out excuses. What will their excuse be next time? "Oh uh... JESUS made us release the game early! Yeah his holyness came to us in a dream and said.. uh we had to... to save the world.. yeah..."

BTW anyone know how this game is doing sales wise? That's really what matters to Sega.
    BTW if you like the game that's fine, I don't have a problem with that... it's just obvious that the majority DO NOT like this game and that is plays like crap for most people. and that just is too bad because Sonic really needed a good game to make his appearence on Next Gen and looks like he didnt get it

oh and the person who made the post that starts with:
    that's the stupidest post in this entire thread... those are in EVERY Sonic game... well maybe not the killer whale, they didn't need to do THAT but... seriously, you were just trying to look cool and it failed misseraby. OH LOOK! It has loops too REHASH IT SUCKS! :disgust:

17. Blazer

Blazer

"and who is this guy anyway Because some guy makes a video on youtube, I should listen to him over professional reviewers?
    That hasn't anything to do with what I said in my post.

"Sonic Heroes was buggy as all hell.
    Just the PS2 version. And SA1 had even more glitches.

"They're just peddling out excuses. What will their excuse be next time? "Oh uh... JESUS made us release the game early! Yeah his holyness came to us in a dream and said.. uh we had to... to save the world.. yeah..."
    That's just being pessimistic. You have no proof they are just excuses and that the PS3 will be as buggy as this one. And if they fix the game for the PS3 release, they will do exactly the same they did with the original SA1 and the international release. Also, doesn't the fact they delayed the PS3 release after the game received so many complains tell you anything?

"BTW anyone know how this game is doing sales wise? That's really what matters to Sega."
    "BTW if you like the game that's fine, I don't have a problem with that... it's just obvious that the majority DO NOT like this game and that is plays like crap for most people. and that just is too bad because Sonic really needed a good game to make his appearence on Next Gen and looks like he didnt get it"
    I never said I liked it. I have yet to play it. I'm just stating facts and trying to be rational.
    And if the majority do not like it, how come most of the scores it received in Gamespot and Gamefaqs are above average?

18. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
  19. Blazer

Blazer

^ You fail because you can't read.

20. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    For those of you not insane/insecure enough to act as if my opinion threatens your standing as a Sonic fan, I present a shortened version of my post: "WTF? Why are we fighting over opinions on silly video games?" (I thought I'd offer this, after torturing myself by looking at old arguments in the archives, which cause me to scroll by at brain-destroying speeds)

I don't need to look cool, because I'm just stating my mind. You, on the other hand, may be trying to look cool by standing up to an opinion which only wishes to be understood, and disagreed with, rather than ad hominem attacked when I have no reason to fight you, nor you to attack me directly. I don't care if I look cool, neither do I need to. I can see where you would feel the way you do, but honestly, you're wasting your breath. Whattaya gonna do, rip apart a random lurker with an opinion like me? It won't make any difference.

Furthermore, I don't want to seem cool to people who lash out to neutral posts with accusations like that. What next? You yell at a man who says "Ice cream for sale" for attempting to impress you with his ability to shout, and that he secretly wants to freeze your toes?

Those elements are unique to those games, and hardly reused between them until just about now. You don't see most of the SA1 things in SA2, even less SA2 things in Sonic Heroes, and so forth. It's one thing to borrow content from the previous, and another to rely entirely on it, thus making a rehash. Had they put it in a container where they showed those things, and then EXPANDED on it, thusly making the experience better and/or new, then I would consider it forgivable.

But when the entire stage is made out of homages to old games with no originality, I draw the line. If you call that stupid, then you haven't SEEN the other posts in this thread, honestly. And if you still think I'm dumb after them? Eh. I don't care. I have better things to do.

It's just that I take wish to prove Blazer's posts wrong for claiming not only the game is good, that we should like it, but also that I somehow I don't know how to play Sonic, that I am angry at a part of a game I haven't played because I suck at it, and finally that I am, apparently, not much of a fan for liking the originals and disliking one of the lesser sequels in an already troubled 3D series.

I'm not going to say I'm the greatest at anything, but I can say I've played through almost every game since I began playing at 6 in 1994, and beat Sonic 2 at the age of 7, proceeding to beat each and every game I could buy after that, getting all of the emeralds in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, all the emeralds in Rush, finishing SA1, SA2, Sonic Heroes, and even suffering all of Shadow the Hedgehog to get Expert Mode (via all A-ranks and all other stuff), to then somehow magically suck at a rehash? The issue is that Sonic is so easily swerved off the 'correct' path that the camera flies by him, and BAM! You lose. That would be frustrating, wouldn't it? Defeated by an imprecise control scheme rather than an actual mistake?

And the Genesis games are NOT easy. They can be very hard. However, they are not pointlessly so. The holes are well-presented, used to add difficulty in NEAR-ENDGAME stages, where the game decides to challenge you. In the 3D games, however, they appear constantly, and become a place to fall in over mild controlling errors, rather than of actual bad timing or accidents. That in mind, Sonic 3D Blast also sucked, and I called that out for what it was; and I doubt Chaotix did that well, otherwise it wouldn't have been neglected as much as it is today.

But what I am getting at is that I'm not here to deceive or trick people with my opinion; I honestly think that stage (and that game) are sub-par and not worth buying, and that they, like Shadow the Hedgehog, contribute virtually nothing to the series while taking a lot of stuff from previous games just to make the levels. Now then, I've said my piece; you may mercilessly tear it apart, but I don't believe I need to explain myself any more than I have; this is an opinion, and if it threatens your world view, don't read it. Just don't think for a minute it is based on bad gameplaying skills, mindless bias, and a desire to hate the game. I very much want the game to not suck, but it defies me at every turn.

*Shrugs and moves on to more important things*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.