don't click here

Sonic GBA is not dead

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Retro_Stew, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I haven't really seen people doing this much...
    I think there's nothing wrong with praising these people though and I don't really see this as a replica of Sonic 1 either. I see it as a really bitchen fanmade game. With a little work, yeah it could be a replica of Sonic 1, but I still stand by my statement that if you gave both Sonic GBA and Sonic Genesis to someone to play and asked them which they thought was fanmade and which was official, they'd say Sonic GBA was official.

2. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Well, honestly, once is too much, and to this point, it's been done much more than once. I was making reference to more than this thread and the comparison between Sonic GBA and Sonic Genesis :P
    Also, if they believed you when you told them that one of them was official, yeah, they'd probably pick Sonic GBA. It doesn't change the fact that officially releasing it in it's current state (unless you're some kind of psychic, you can't see how it will end) would still be relatively kin to officially releasing Sonic Genesis. There's nothing wrong with praising the guy for slowly making progress, but there's gotta be something wrong if you think the reception would/should have been any better if SEGA actually did officially release this version of Sonic GBA (expanded to include all Sonic 1 levels) instead of Sonic Genesis. As I was saying, you might as well not try to oversell something that someone going to the same board as you did.. some people seem to want to think that "greatness" in people around them makes them "great" by association, even though it doesn't. It might actually make them feel kind of bad, too, if too many people blindly say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and they have to think about how the reality of it compares to the outside hype

3. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Okay under no circumstances am I saying it's perfect or saying "Sega should have for sure released Sonic Genesis like this!" but I am saying

1. It's bETTER than Sonic Genesis
    2. Because it's a work in progress, who knows what might happen?

so that's why I certainly perfer it to Sonic Genesis, but yes it's far from perfect I had my share of troubles with the gravity or whatever... I mean... Sonic jumps too high sometimes and you can't see where he'll land... I had a lot of trouble with that in Green Hill... but it should be interesting to see where they go with it.

4. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Well, let's not start working off the wrong ideas. I never said this was all about you :P

5. Brunni

Brunni

Oldschool Sonic for GBA
  6. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    It runs just fine on supercard.

7. It runs excellent on my EFA-Linker I. No problems at all.

8. Divisible by Waffle

Divisible by Waffle

Impatient Echidna Member
    Somewhere in Oreeyguhn
    Failing at fixing game cartridges
    It's pretty choppy on VisualBoyAdvance. I hope you work out the problems with the engine...it's certainly not as bad as Sonic 1 Genesis, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

But for a WIP? Not bad at all.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Choppy? That might be your computer's fault...

10. Divisible by Waffle

Divisible by Waffle

Impatient Echidna Member
    Somewhere in Oreeyguhn
    Failing at fixing game cartridges
    OK, the choppiness was due to some emulator settings that I had. But it still doesn't have a very smooth feel; Sonic is constantly careening out of control into deadly crabs and spikes, especially in Act 2. I just feel like I can't stop the little guy.

11. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, España
    Various projects
    I've played it on a Supercard SD and it work correctly :3

12. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Are you SURE that frameskip is set to 0?

13. Brunni

Brunni

Oldschool Sonic for GBA
    My physics must not be correct... they seem to me, but you're not the first person to tell me they aren't. However I've made some corrections since the last demo, so wait for the next version, and then please post your comment again if the problems did not disappeared :(

About emulation, it's usually choppy because of synchronization problems between your PC screen and your virtual GBA framerate, or simply because it's not running at fullspeed (can happen even if your PC is powerful, because VBA handles frameskip very badly). However, emulation is better on PSP (just some small problems with transparency) and it's running as it's meant to be: on a portable console and at 60 fps ;)

Thanks for reports about SuperCard, the problem with M3/G6 is very strange.

14. Rolken

Rolken

Tech Member
    The physics are close, but slightly off in a myriad of ways. I'm going off the version posted on the last page so maybe some of it is fixed, but here's the stuff I've seen...

Jumping accelerates downwards too quickly at the apex
    The injury flyback is way too quick
    Lack of skid; reverses direction like he's on ice
    Accelerates too quickly from a dead stop
    Lots of weirdness with moving forwards slightly and holding down

This article may be of use. At present the character stats are only filled in for Knuckles, but it can give some insight into how the game physics work, since IIRC the only difference physicswise between the characters is the actual numerical values.

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Really interesting, thanks for the heads up.

16. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    First off, I'd like to say this game is fantastic, or at least, the version I've played so far is. Kudos.

Today I was in school, playing it during one of my free periods on my DS, and a few friends tried their hand at it (They actually thought it was an official game before I told them otherwise). The only difference they noticed in terms of control was the difference in air control, and the difference in turning (ie- no skidding). I'd say these are the main differences in physics between this and the genesis games, although I've personally noticed quite a few more, but they aren't too major.

All in all though, you're doing a FANTASTIC job, and it's great fun to be able to carry some retro-Sonic goodness around with me :]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.