don't click here

Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    are you sure it's 1c324?! looks like some collision to me.

edit: plus, I'll run a search for the patterns in GoodGen

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, I'm more than positive that's a leftover from some other game. It doesn't seem related to Sonic 2 in any way at all, the art style is different... etc. Plus, it's not in the wai build at all, so I don't think it's anything significant...

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yup, it starts at about 1C31C. Its pretty strange, why would someone make an image out of palettes? =P

4. This is another case of unsolved game leftovers, a la Ninja Turtles in Crackers.

5. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Probably from an aviation game. I recall a game called Scramble Spirits with ground layout similar to that picture. I vote for a split too.

6. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    On a tech point, since this is so close to Sonic one, the spin dash code might be the easiest to port to Sonic1 which would be good for asm newbies like myself. Also I believe someone said the programing for the trica/rinobot was in the game, was that in the other beta?

7. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Those tiles in the bottom left of Mistergambit's picture seem to be meant to be used in each possible X/Y flip combination:

[​IMG]

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, all the unused robots are also in the other beta.

9. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    Maybe they're left overs for testing the tile flipping system or to see how many combinations they can get out of it to make more interesting tiles. I'm proberly wrong though.

10. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Found this out just now...looking up and down does not work. Sonic's sprite will look in the right direction, but the screen will not shift, no matter how long you hold it.

Also, (unrelated to above), this is just a theory, but seeing as Labyrinth Zone has been overwritten, a la HPZ in S2F, considering that the wave effects go through the whole level even though there is no water, I think that it may have been the desert level, with the wave effect acting as a heat wave. Sega decided to scrap it and just overwrote it with the CPZ graphics.

Also, Labyrinth Zone in this game contains the object placement of Marble Zone in Sonic 1.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think it's just a side effect of disabling the water in the level slot, which they instead applied to HPZ. The wave effect normally happens only underwater, but if there is no water, then it would always do the wave effect. That's what I'd figure, anyway.

12. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Can that be tested with disabling the water in LZ in Sonic 1? I'd be curious to see, but I don't currently have the time to research how to do it myself.

13. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Didn't see that. Kind of like a consequence when you're short on time and have to read through a rather larde thread =P
    Sorry about that!

14. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  15. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
  16. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Yeah, it's there. The funny thing is, it isn't tile data. It's an 8bpp chunky bitmap, which raises the question of why it's in a Genesis ROM. Also, assuming that the first line of the bitmap is the real first line, then it originally began at 1C300 but was partially overwritten (there's a small hiccup in the diagonal line on the right of the image, which I believe is the edge of the bitmap).

17. TeRaByTe88

TeRaByTe88

Pending Member
    interesting find... when you go underwater in HPZ in debug mode and come out during the drowning music, LZ music plays despite the fact that HPZ is in the SYZ pointer

18. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    Is there any possibility that these cartridges held things other than Genesis rom info? Basically, could you store other things on these?

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, that's because the music ID isn't drawn from the primary zone music index - it's hardcoded. Normally, it's set to play LZ music after getting a bubble/jumping out of the water, but it does have a check against SBZ3 (LZ4) - if it's true, it plays that music instead.

The code:
    Code (Text):
    1. ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. ; Subroutine to play music for LZ/SBZ3 after a countdown
    3. ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5. ; ||||||||||||||| S U B R O U T I N E |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    8. ResumeMusic:            ; XREF: Obj64_Wobble; Sonic_Water; Obj0A_ReduceAir
    9.         cmpi.w  #$C,($FFFFFE14).w
    10.         bhi.s   loc_140AC
    11.         move.w  #$82,d0 ; play LZ music
    12.         cmpi.w  #$103,($FFFFFE10).w; check if level is  0103 (SBZ3)
    13.         bne.s   loc_140A6
    14.         move.w  #$86,d0 ; play SBZ music
    16. loc_140A6:
    17.         jsr (PlaySound).l
    19. loc_140AC:
    20.         move.w  #$1E,($FFFFFE14).w
    21.         clr.b   ($FFFFD372).w
    22.         rts
    23. ; End of function ResumeMusic
    25. ; ===========================================================================

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Can you store other things than music on an MP3 player?

It's still rewritable media, of course you could, but why would you, is more of the question.