don't click here

Concensus on Prototype naming scheme

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Qjimbo, Nov 8, 2006.

What should the Prototypes be referred to as?

1. Drx Prototype and Wai Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alpha and Beta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fan-created version numbers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nick Arcade Prototype and Simon Wai Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2006 Prototype and 1998 Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Since the site needs to be updated to accommodate 2 prototype versions of Sonic 2, I think we need a general agreement on how to distinguish between each. I've put a few suggestions in the poll, but feel free to come up with your own.

My feelings are that I'm edgy about calling them Alpha and Beta because that sounds a bit amateurish, and calling drx's cart a Nick Arcade Prototype without 100% certainty seems a bit iffy.

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I'll review all your suggestions:

* Alpha and Beta - this naming system would be (theoritically of course) problematic when a new proto appears (let's hope so!). While it's quite accurate now, it might be difficult to name things that way when eg. a very similar beta to either of those is found.

* Fan-created version numbers - hell no. This is a bad idea. We don't know ANYTHING about the version numbers and the builds count, so it's hard to name it that way.

* Nick Arcade and Simon Wai - not bad, not bad.

* 2006 and 1998 - like I said, theoritically a new proto can appear in 2006, and the Simon Wai's proto didn't surface in 1998, but in fact years earlier (earlier than the final, in fact :P)

* drx & wai - hard to comment on that. as much as I'd like this way of naming the protos - it's up to the community how it wants to name its betas. Plus it can cause confusion if I find a new s2 proto. But drx's Sonic 2 Beta has a ring to it :P

Conclusion - hard to tell. Imho best would be either drx or Nick Arcade. But it's up to you ;)

PS. The menu on the left, on the site - I think it should have two 'sections', one for the Simon's proto and one for the one I released, and maybe some sort of section with comparisons, like timelines or zone comparisons. Just a thought.

3. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Now that this site is no longer called Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta, we can use up this name for Simon's prototype (SWS2B), and this new could be called Nick Arcade Sonic 2 Beta (NAS2B). Just a suggestion.

I think it would be wrong if we call this one "drx's prototype", since he may give out another proto.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd call the new one "Nick Arcade prototype", and the old one just "prototype". There wouldn't be any confusion that way, nor wacky fan-made standards.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    But simply calling Simon's "prototype" is a bit vague though, and looks weird on the Zone comparisons table "Nick Arcade Prototype" , "Prototype", "Final". It's not definitive enough if that's the right way of putting it.

6. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I suggestd calling the old beta the "Sonic 2 Phil Moore is a HEY EVERYONE I AM A COMPLETE ASSHOLE PLEASE MOCK ME Beta" and quickman suggested "Sonic 2 Mariah Carey Sucks Beta" for the newer beta. Let's use that.

7. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I was wondering if you were going to suggest that. XD

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm comfortable with calling them the "Nick Arcade beta," and the "Simon Wai beta." They detail exactly which build each is, what era they're from... etc. Either that or the drx beta. But I don't think calling it "prototype" is very specfic - rather, I think it'd be more confusing than anything. Best to keep the correct prefix on the prototype name to keep things organized and easy to remember.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Hey, the first two options are winning so let's have drx's alpha and Simon's beta :P

10. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    I like Alpha and Beta more, though this game really feels like it should be a pre-alpha stage, I mean only 3 unique new levels are in it, HTZ doesn't count because its a rehash of EHZ.

11. jmr

jmr

I don't really like the idea of calling them alpha & beta. It's already been brought up that it's possible that more prototypes may be found in the future...
    I think I'd go with 'Nick Arcade prototype'; it's fairly certain that this version is the one shown on Nick Arcade, given all of the similarities that have been found and the holographic cart label. Still, my suggestion is to wait a while longer before settling on a name, just in case.

12. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I'd like to call them "Alpha and Beta", but it's not a futureproof system, so I'll vote for "Nick Arcade Beta" and "Simon Wai Beta" ("drx Beta" is also not futureproof). "Alpha and Beta" is okay for conversational use, but not for websites.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Seconded. While I would like to call them drx's beta and Wai's beta, we all know that drx is probably going to find more and more protos in the future. So Nick Arcade beta seems the only way to go, even if I don't like it at all.

14. My vote's for Alpha and Beta. It just seems to fit them both well, although this new dump is horribly incomplete. Hell, I renamed the dumped ROM to Sonic 2 Alpha before I even played it.

15. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Nick Arcade Beta and NY Toy Fair Beta?

That's a bit more concrete.

16. twix

twix

Pending Member
    We can't confirm that Wai's beta was taken from The NY Toy Fair, nor can we confirm that Drx's is from nick arcade either (though it seems likely).

personally I like Drx's beta and Wai's beta, Drx deserves it to be named after him, especially if he prefers it.

17. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Czechia
    I personally vote for the alpha/beta. I think it can be renembered better then "Simon Wai's beta" and "Drx/nick arcade beta". And, we all know this is not an beta, nor an alpha, something like pre-alpha.

18. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    What about Nick Arcade Prototype and Stolen from games convention Prototype?

DJ

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    "Early prototype" and "prototype" were already fine, anyway...

20. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Actually, it has been confirmed. According to an interview with Naka, the beta was from a demonstration cartridge that was stolen at a toy show in New York in 1992. Akinori Nishiyama has also stated that the leak was due to the lack of security at the time.

Sources
    Naka interview
    Nishiyama

This interview also mentions what the original purpose of the Hidden Palace was. It would have been a secret level that could be entered by collecting all 7 Chaos Emeralds, implying that Hidden Palace is the place where the Chaos Emeralds originated. After this level was cleared, a cutscene would play showing Sonic gaining 50 rings and turning into Super Sonic.

This however somewhat contradicts with what Craig Stitt said about the emerald being nothing more then a destroyable block. But since Stitt had no knowledge about what Sonic Team was doing storywise, he might have been mistaken. Hell, the emerald could have just been a breakable block. Who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.