don't click here

Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    DRX FOR ADMIN! I'd like to call this Sonic 2 Alpha. Either way it's cool. I love you drx.

EDIT: Took out the stupid.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Oh, and a bit more to help support that it's the Nick Arcade beta - anyone remember this?

http://www.s2beta.com/img/tv_ghzalpha.png

All I had to do was look at the thumbnail, and I recognized the layout. I don't think there's much doubt that this is THE build from Nick Arcade.

3. twix

twix

Pending Member
    It's so neat to go around exploring the different layouts etc.

If you go to the end of CPZ act 2 the screen locks in as if there's suppose to be a boss, theres just a random platform at the end of the screen, not so strange but in Wais beta it doesn't, has anyone found anything of interest from hacking? I'm sure if there was though we'd know by now :P.

4. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    I did a quick look at the very bottom part of that map you have there and in comparison to the EHZ that's in Drx's S2 Proto, its slightly different. I'll post a quick map of it soon.

5. Shade

Shade

What I'm curious about right now is what those garbled tiles in "Labyrinth Zone" are from.

6. Sz

Sz

Oldbie
    Around
    Hey guys, it's been a long time,

I'd like to point out something I haven't seen, and am shocked hasn't been mentioned yet: HPZ act 3 has a dynamically changing water level. Hit left when you start the level and you'll be moved down into the normal position, head down the familiar tube, and watch as the water goes up, comes back down, goes back up... Just about blew my mind.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    That's due to the layout tweaker posted is only roughly based on the S2 NA that we saw in videos. It could easily be inaccurate.

I will say it again.

EVERY thing we see in the NA build is IDENTICAL to this ROM.

EVERYTHING.

8. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    And heres the quick map [Link], again the only slight difference when comparing the two maps in the bottom level layout for EHZ Act 1, otherwise everything else is exactly the same from what I saw.

EDIT:
    Ah ok. And in this case, the quick map of EHZ Act 1 from Drx's S2 proto proves your point ;P

9. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Wow. This here's amazing. I thought I'd never be around the community to see something this awesome.

That said, I'm wondering if there's any other builds out here so far @_@

10. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    just FYI, I did inform Saxman of this and he isn't too interested... but that's okay, people come and go. The only thing that brings me back to this place is big news like this.

BTW does Lostgame = L0st?

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Nah, LOst left too. Lostgame is some guy who used to be "Tails" on the old SSRG or something. :P

12. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    aww no L0st? ;_;

.. hmm but it does seem some of the..er.. louder members of the community have left as well... >> good

13. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Here's something interesting... there's a separate tile layout for all three acts of HPZ. I'm working on getting Final Zone's level layout playable and I should have something in about half an hour (because I need energy drinks >.>)

14. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
  15. Shade

Shade

NEDIT: So this one time I made this post but then I went "oshit, disregard"

16. In regards to this, I say what everyone else has basically said.

(and yet another person "unlurks"...)

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The savestates can be loaded into SonED, so level maps are easy to make. (I should have mentioned this earlier.)

18. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    ROM mirrored on SonAR.

For you returning oldbies, SonAR is the Sonic ROM site I maintain. It's better than Sonic Stuff as far as Sonic cart backups goes.
    http://sonar.heranbago.com/

drx <3

19. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Lotsa weird stuff in here. Those little demos it plays when you leave it unattended are interesting, too... and the non-moving clouds in HTZ, and such. I also managed to fly through that emerald object in HPZ and walk on the bottom of the screen for a bit before dying.

Some of it's probably old hate related to the beta, but, eh, interesting nonetheless.

20. Ah, time for me to get in on the "de-lurking" action, although it was more of a coincidence than anything; I just happened to clear up my schedule a bit, and lo and behold the second day of having a decent amount of free time drx's beta turns out to not only be significantly different from the Wai beta, but it also apparently turns out to be the Nick Arcade build. This is most definitely worth the $1500.

There is so much that we can learn from this. What I'm really curious about (ha, me and the rest of the internets), however, is the Labyrinth Zone level slot. What level was going to go into that slot? Why is Chemical Plant art visible? It appears to be the standard "empty, fall until you die"-type level that we're all familiar with from the Wai beta, but I believe that I found a small amount of walk-on-able (bear with me, I'm half-awake as I'm typing this) ground. I'll test this more tomorrow when I'm less half-awake; all I know is that it involved debug mode and moving to the right an unknown amount as well as a garbled platform.
    [rewrite of above paragraph to be completed]
    Pictures: http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7418/so...otype005hb6.png
    http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5553/so...otype006te5.png

Also: I don't recall seeing this edge-of-wall pattern in GHZ before: http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5117/so...otype002qi6.png