don't click here

Sonic CD, just a bit overhyped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tiberious, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    <!--quoteo(post=144558:date=Sep 30 2006, 10:19 AM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Sep 30 2006, 10:19 AM) [​IMG]

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh, wow.

3. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    S3K ftw.

SonicCD was nice but the fact you had to find a suitable area for time travel was annoying.
    I love the special stage, looked & played great.

4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    You don't need to find a suitable place if your good at keeping speed under all kinds of conditions...

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Oh yeah. Fuck that special stage.

6. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    The reasons I think Sonic CD is the best of the 2D Sonic games:

1. Graphics were excellent considering the limitations of the hardware. Takes some serious skill to create art like that (see MMZ Acts1 + 2 GF or TTZ GF).

2. Better camera.

3. Original and graphically stunning special stages compared to the other plain ones.

4. Excellent soundtrack with remixes that fit the timezones perfectly (referring more to the Jap soundtrack here, since the past music with the US is badly out of place. US has it's good areas though)

5. Metal Sonic race. Most original boss of any of the 2D games. In fact, nearly all of the bosses diverted from "hit robotnik when he shows his ugly mug". The CCZ, QQZ and WWZ bosses all had clever twists to them.

6. Alternative exploration option, opening up a different form of gameplay.

7. Alternate endings which were very well animated.

The only things I think let the game down were the low boss hitcounts, the number of zones (should have been more) and the lack of Super Sonic. Fixing those 3 things would make the game unbeatable IMO.

7. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Although myself, being that I have not beaten the game, (MMZ Act 1, all but 2 Emeralds. Trying to get perfect 1st time through) find it reletivly annoying. The fact that to get the 'good' ending you have to run around to obscure area's in every act to find and destroy the UFO, then the Metal Sonic projecter, is all in all taking away from what makes it Sonic. It feels pretty worthless when you go through a Zone and when you reach act three you see that Robotnik won.

The Soundtrack is good, 'specially sence it had a lot less limitations then the Megadrive(I think). Frankly, I have't listened to the soundtrakes of both versions, nor remember many.

S3K, IMO, wins over it.

8. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    Quoted for ultimate truth. I didn't find Sonic CD all that great, I think I'd put Sonic 2 over it.

9. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    S2, S3K, and SCD are all about on-par with each other, IMO. They are, of course, unequal in distinct ways (for example, S3K has more replay value than the other two), and none are perfect per se. It holds, however, that most anyone who enjoys one of those games will enjoy the other two, despite and perhaps due to the unique aspects of each.

10. Blazer

Blazer

Gotta disagree in some points here:

NEARLY ALL the themes of the japanese soundtrack are superior to the american soundtrack. Although the soundtracks of Sonic 1-3&K pwn them.

The special stages are GREAT, because they feature 3d gameplay. Still the Chaotix' SS pwn them.

But yes, Sonic CD ISN'T the best 2D Sonic game. The controls really needed some work (as they were glitched at times), and I would prefer thousand of times the classic Sonic-style levels (run to the finish in huge stages) than the Sonic CD's levels (travel through time in short stages to make a good future). I prefer all the original Genesis games (even Sonic 1) because of the original Sonic-style stages, and because I find the controls in those games to be much better than in Sonic CD.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I disagree with all your post. =(

12. Blazer

Blazer

Impossible :blink:

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I also disagree.

14. Sonic CD? This game gets the royal treatment, but I find it only slightly more impressive than the Megadrive games.

15. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Oh, God!

XDDDDD

That's the funniest thing anyone's ever written. You sir, win.

16. Pinkerton

Pinkerton

サメジマ・マミミ Oldbie
    So... I should assume Sonic 2, Sonic 3(+Knuckles), Sonic 3D Blast, and Knuckles Chaotix are utter pwnage simply because they have 3D game play in it in some form?

17. Blazer

Blazer

Um... I mean they are great because the 3D playability is done MUCH better than the Genesis SS (therefore becoming great), because you can actually take directions, jump, avoid obstacles and get items. They feature much more plataforming elements than the Genesis SS and are more complex.

Read above. The Sonic CD SS are much more revolutionaries and innovatives.

18. Pinkerton

Pinkerton

サメジマ・マミミ Oldbie
    Who Wants to be a Revolutionaire?!</lame>

EDIT: I guess he fixed it before I posted this? Why you gotta stop the funny?

19. Robjoe

Robjoe

I thought you hated the US soundtrack, ICEknight? =o

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    He said "nearly all", instead of "all". =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.