don't click here

Retro-Sonic News: Dreamcast Test Released!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by The Taxman, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangar

Vangar

None taken, its a joke cartoon and isn't aiming for professionalisim at all.

Maybe after I finish my animation im being paid to make.

I still go to school.

*shrug* It's just the internets, im not angry or anything like you seem to be.

2. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    It may "just be the internets", but you seem to get off belittling my life's work for no good reason.

Anyway, whatever. I didn't know you were such a cold hearted bastard. Thanks =P

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I couldn't disagree more with that. I'm quite happy to see how the Taxman and other people are releasing test builds so we can see how their projects keep evolving, and we can give them some feedback to improve certain stuff. If it doesn't "feel complete" people can always be a little constructive and explain why, so it can be fixed.

We need more test releases like this one and less teasers just showing pics or info from games we might never play in the end. That's the best way to keep people interested, and the reason why the big companies tend to release demo versions of their yet-to-be-finished games.

4. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    I dunno, I feel that is what internal testing is for..

But I suppose, this isn't really a commercial project or anything.

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    To be honest that was in no way directed torwards you, but since you took it that way and decided to piss me off. I will let you off with a simple fuck you. If you would like some more. Just reply to this post.

6. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Go eat a dick, Vangar.

7. EXOGGEDDEN

EXOGGEDDEN

orgasmic Member
    Exactly.

8. Shade

Shade

Here's an idea: STFU and stop de-railing the thread over trivial E-p33n waving. In case you didnt notice, you don't have to be a member to view this forum. It doesn't put on a good image.

9. Vangar

Vangar

*shurg*

I didn't know my opinion would cause such a big fuss. I guess I didn't pick the right words, and im sorry. I should have said something more along the lines of I don't like the art used in that game.

Too late now I guess.

EDIT:
    It wasn't for no reason. You said you could do better then Taxman with no evidence of this. that's when I should have said "well the project your working on now isn't as good as the taxman's" or something. Yeah I was angry last night, and im not usually like this.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Opinion.

11. Vangar

Vangar

Yeah that's what I mean, I should have stated an opinion instead of being an asshat.

12. FMSonic

FMSonic

Very Cool! I'm surprised you're still working on this Taxman. I downloaded the old demo years ago and was impressed with how smooth the engine was compared to stuff I seen pulled off with TGF and MMF.

Are you still working on that 3D project too?

13. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    This looks to be possibly one of the best Sonic fangames ever. I like your unique ideas, and your dedication to smooth physics. Good luck Taxman!

14. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Wow... just...

There are no words to describe how fuckin' AWESOME this is.

Opinion/Question time, though:

1) I noticed on slopes that your character does an Advance-esque rotation. It didn't look great there, and it looks worse here (you're busy trying to recapture the Genesis feel, right?). Will this be 'toggleable' when creating your own character?

2) I felt right at home with Knuckles in Emerald Hill... right up until I tried to glide onto a box (failed) and into enemies, getting myself smacked. I do hope you'll be correcting this soon by allowing 'unconventional' attacking areas (haven't tested yet, but I'd guess Tails' tails would do the same thing when flying).

3) Physics... absolutely LOVE them... almost. Characters seem to control better on the ground than in the air, and water's especially wonky at the moment (try jumping from a slide in the water with Knuckles...). I'm sure cribbing a few values from the original game's physics (or 2's, as it seemed even more responsive) won't destroy your originality (since, if the level editor can handle savestates, making levels a cinch to build, trying to make this the most accurate and expandable Sonic 'game'* ever should be high in the priority list, IMO).

That said, I know this is a 'proof' build, and should probably be ready by about the time Super Smash Bros. Brawl is out, but I'd LOVE to see more done with this.

Now... who's up for putting out some MODs/variants with actual song speed values from the originals?

*'game' in that this is more of an engine with some default stages thrown in.

Additional thoughts:

Looking around the DC homebrewsites where this's mentioned, they're busy harping on you for using the WinCE libraries... whatta bunch of flaming douches

15. BlitzHedgie

BlitzHedgie

Brisbane, Australia.
    SRB2 Kart server maintenance
    that is so damn AWESOME! I'm looking forward to playing the complete game, and good luck with it!

16. ScaryMonkeyShow

ScaryMonkeyShow

Master of my own domain Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    So many betas, so little time.
    Is the site down for this? I'm getting a dead link on my end.

17. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Sorry for the bump... but is there any hope we can expect some new release soon? like the PC version, or... a psp one? :blushing:

18. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    I'll get it working when I get back from college this afternoon.

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Since this topic is bumped, I wanted to add some tesing info I never mentioned.

Last time I posted I said it was laggy on the Japanese DC. This is true, but it runs flawlessly on my American system, so this is a bug on the JAP DC only. Mabe it has a lower clock speed? Also, the refresh rate menu at boot does nothing, if I select anything but 50hz on either console the game just locks up.

20. Vangar

Vangar

No use asking here, Taxman is usually never here. You need to catch him on msn late at night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.