don't click here

Screwing around in Debug Mode

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spindash54, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    I'm sure SOMEONE has done this before, but in the 12 years of owning S3K, I've never attempted/accomplished this before.

In an attempt to get Sonic into Knux's version of AIZ Act 2 (still can't do this), I somehow bypassed the miniboss sequence and got myself into Knux's location for the miniboss, but nothing appeared. Yet, by going to the right, I found myself at the entrance for Act 2, without finishing Act 1. Through Debug mode I manadged to fully enter a working Act 2, and even die and beat the Zone with it still being treated as Act 1. Finishing off Robotnik also activated the Act 2 title card and timer.

[​IMG]
    So get yourself into Fire Act 1.
    [​IMG]
    Work your way into the spring area.
    [​IMG]
    Go Debug.
    [​IMG]
    Get to the very bottom but stay visible.
    [​IMG]
    Scroll to the right.
    [​IMG]
    Keep going and you'll get here, Knux's Miniboss locale.
    [​IMG]
    Scroll up and you'll get Sonic back.

2. Spindash54

Spindash54

[​IMG]
    Scroll to the right, don't go down or the camera will kill you.
    [​IMG]
    Keep scrolling and the camera will shift.
    [​IMG]
    Scroll down and you can enter the pipe (deactivate debug if you like).
    [​IMG]
    Volia, the Act 2 SS ring.
    [​IMG]
    Hit a checkpoint.
    [​IMG]
    Lose rings.
    [​IMG]
    Die.

3. Spindash54

Spindash54

[​IMG]
    WTF? Act 1? I Thought we were in Act 2!?
    [​IMG]
    Kill Robotnik.
    [​IMG]
    Enter capsule.
    [​IMG]
    Blue Flicky's sprites flash between Flicky and C from "Sonic got through..."
    [​IMG]
    Act 1!?!
    [​IMG]
    Act 1 with normal flicky sprite.
    [​IMG]
    Act 2 beginning??
    [​IMG]
    Watch the time!
    [​IMG]
    Hello Knuckles, do you have the time?
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully this stays normal and Sonic didn't die.

4. Some wierd ass shit can happen in debug. Just today I played around with just Sonic 3 alone, put the level select code in, entered a bonus stage, exited back into the level select, where it was all horribly scrambled. However, I could still choose a zone and did so, causing the game to send me in a random part of the zone with "Hydrocity" as the title card. Did this with every zone, same result. Gonna try to do it again and get pics up if anyone is interested.

Also, entering the competition zones while glitched like this will make the screen scroll vertically non-stop.

Note: This was playing the game via SMC+. Also, in level select, you are able to play the music from the Sonic & Knuckles Zones. This might be a known fact, but this is the first time I've ever got the level select code right for Sonic 3 so bite me. :P

5. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    After the flames you already are in Act 2. :P

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  7. Spindash54

Spindash54

Meant to be more of a detailed joke of how the whole game was put together than as a "discovery", but I will take note of this in the future.

EDIT: And yeah, that should probably be pinned in General Discussion too.

8. SadisticMystic

SadisticMystic

a user Member
    Something similar is possible in Icecap Zone without even needing debug. Make sure you're in non-locked-on mode, go near the end to where an ice barricade blocks you off from where Knuckles' boss would be, then use the crouch-and-jump-to-make-the-screen-scroll-the-wrong-way trick to allow you to pass right through the barricade. Where Knuckles' boss would be, there's no boss instead since you're not locked on, and you get to advance onto the act 2 map while it's still act 1.

9. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    I thought this was already kind of well known? How the game was put together, that is. This could be me talking completely out of my ass, but this is how I've observed it:

Acts 1 and 2 of Zones are one long thing, the boundaries are set at the start of the new Act usually. Hitting Egg Prisons, defeating Mecha Sonic, beating a miniboss and letting the post fall, etc, end the Act. It will start the new act REGARDLESS of where you are.

10. Here's a weird one. Two AIZ Robotnik bosses!

[​IMG]

I pulled this off a few days ago, and have no clue how the hell I did it. I just used debug to randomly fly around, and then went to the boss.

For the curious, here's a savestate: sonic and knuckles sonic 3 jue.zip - 0.06MB

11. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    I've seen that only once, when I was messing with debug (in S3&K) and I have NOOOOO fucking clue what sets it off.

12. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    One AIZ Robotnik boss is bad enough. :/

13. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Maybe it tries to trigger Knuckles' version as well, and since it's in the same place, there's just two of them. Whereas the mini-boss is in different places for Sonic/Tails and Knuckles, and even if you enter the other's arena, the correct mini-boss still appears.

14. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I've done just about all these glitches before, except for the double Robotniks. But I have done something similar to that at the Sky Sanctuary Zone, where there were two Mecha Sonics. And I have no clue how I did that, either. Maybe it had something to do with the "S" monitors, because I DO happen to use those, a lot.

15. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Question. How is there time when you are using debug?

16. SmashFGM

SmashFGM

When you turn of debug ( I think its C you press ?) the time appears when your in debug mode the time goes all messed up.

17. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    I thought it was always sprite count.

18. Gibbo

Gibbo

Eggman, Deserving a Game since 1991. Member
    Ellesmere Port, UK
    Learning how to use Game Maker
    It can also be done in S3 as well. I suppose the level was just the left untouched where Knuckles should have gone through, but you can make Sonic go through with Debug.

19. Xian

Xian

Give the DS what it wants. Member
    Sonic 3's time, score, etc, stays accurate until you actually go into debug.

20. You can get up to 3 Mecha Sonics by making extra teleporters during the 3rd SCZ boss fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.