don't click here

SOME - New Version!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by fuzzbuzz, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Many Many Programming/hacking tools...
    So, months ago I finished a new version of SOME. I haven't touched it since. I knew I was going to leave for a while, and before I did, I asked tweaker to release it for me, since I gave him a copy the moment I got it working.

I can't see that he did...bottom line is I should have done it myself anyway, but I was just busy.

So, here's the new version of SOME. It's kinda rad.

Features? Yes. There are.

Voice preview - a YM2612 emulated playback of the voice that you're currently editing. (sorry, no stop and play, just wait and listen :P)

TX81Z Sysex Import / Export - You can now import and export voices into a TX81Z format. TX81Z sysex patches are widely available and I've included a few that were included with SonicQX to get you started. Look on the internet for new sounds!

SonicQX (ymx) Import / Export - You can also import and export voices into Saxman's SonicQX format. Again, I've ncluded a few that were included with SonicQX to get you started. So congrats to all of you who use it.

More features....just take a look.

Download Here

What I would like to see:

- Comments/Suggestions/Requests
    - A TX81Z AND SonicQX voices libraries made for each of the sonic games. Granted with SOME, you can only do sonic 1, but it would be a nice edition to have as SOME expands to other sonic games. Voices would be interchangable between all sonic games.

As a side note, I was graciously given webspace by shadowsoft, I can't remember who it was, but now I'm hosting it on webspace that I'm not really supposed to. Plus, I want to make a website for it, and hopefully a place where people can exchange their own voice sets for the game.

Anyway, have fun guys.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You wanted me to release it? Shit, I must've missed that part.

Glad to see you're back anyway. Same as the one I have, then?

3. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Yeah I didn't make any other changes yet.

4. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Pretty nice work!

5. DJ Squarewave

DJ Squarewave

ANIME SLUT Tech Member
    California
    Project 2612
    Just a couple things, here:

1. The installer is unnecessary.
    2. MML/MCK > all. ;)

Looks quite nice thus far from what I saw (basically loading in the Sonic 1 ROM and poking around), certainly some nice features already, with the voice editing and such.

6. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    The Installer is necessary in future editions. I'm using the installer for testing, and it was easier for me to just put up the installer rather than the executable and the help file, so that's what happened.

MML will not work. There's keywords that the YM2612 can support and there's several keywords needed to emulate S1 coordination flags that don't exist. The long and short is I'd have to create all that stuff anyway, and would have to make a graphical editor for people who don't care to learn MML, so it's best I just make a tracker. I would still have to "create" my own fileformat, but that's just doing a direct dump of my structure to a file. Way easier than creating keywords.

7. DJ Squarewave

DJ Squarewave

ANIME SLUT Tech Member
    California
    Project 2612
    Well, I'm not the coder, but I'll just say that in my opinion trackers are actually less intuitive than something like MML. But that's mostly just because I'm used to sequencers and trackers bug the crap out of me.

Though being able to use an actual MIDI keyboard to enter notes would be nice. I've never actually seen that feature in a tracker...so there's my suggestion for when you reach that point. :D I'm seriously looking forward to it, either way, though...dreams come true, man.

8. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    I actually hate trackers. I hate using them, I prefer notation or playing the actual songs. But a tracker is the easiest for me at this point. But I'd be stupid not to have MIDI importing at least. Well, that was the plan anyway. I may or may not allow using midi input to enter notes, at least if I do MIDI importing. That would prolly be a feature I do once I add support for the other Sonic Games and porting and such.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Has there been any progress with the MIDI importing implementation? I feel it would be a huge step forward, and we won't have to play any mods with the old music anymore.

I'd love to import a few MIDIs to Sonic 1 (or 2) myself.

10. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    While we're on the subject of MIDIs, what would be a good program for separating individual channels from a MIDI file?

11. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

You could use Noteworthy Composer and delete individual voices from the song. You could also just mute them rather than delete them if you wanted to. ;)

12. If all of the channels appear jumbled up into one, then it is a Type 0 MIDI file. Just open it in a program like Cakewalk and save it as a Type 1.

So Fuzzbuzz, will these Sysex actually work on a real TX81Z? If so, I'll get one from EBay to build soundfonts, make Sonic themed patches, etc.

13. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Well, I used actual TX81Z sysex dumps. and I'm exporting them correctly, so yes.

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    This is one hell of a bump, I know.. but I'd rather do that than starting a whole new topic for this when one perfectly okay already exists. Where is the option to export voices to TX81Z? I cannot find it anywhere, only to SQX's ymx format.

15. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    TX81Z is the sysex format.

16. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I know.. but I still do not see where there is an "export to sysex format" control. Export to Sonic QX ymx, yes, but there's no option of sysex export I can see. :.

17. fuzzbuzz

fuzzbuzz

Tech Member
    Here
    Hmmm. I think I didn't make an exporter for it....I have no idea why not. I could have sworn I did.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    .. :x meep.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Ahahaha, self-pwnt.

I should pick up FM7 again... it'd be handy to mess around with the Sonic presets in my own songs. :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.