don't click here

Little tiny things I found...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mama Luigi, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game
    Hello, I'm EvilTrailMix, I'm new to the forum, and since my discoveries I posted at SoST go unnoticed, I decided to post here. Anyways, after some experimenting with savestates, I found this:

[​IMG]

Which seems to be a remnant from Sonic 1. Also, I found this very disturbing music inside the ROM...

Disturbing Music

Sorry if this is old news or if this has been discovered.

2. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Sorry, but savestate switching means jack shit in discoveries. If you loaded an S1/S2 savestate into a S2B ROM, your discovery means nothing. But if you actually went inside the savestate and changed byte values, this could mean something.

The disturbing music is just a result of S1 and S2B using different places to store their music in memory and their different music formats.

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    It means even less if you can't give directions on how to replicate such results.

4. This doesn't really count for much.

However, That music IS pretty disturbing. So far, I haven't been able to listen to the track without crashing before it gets a chance to finish.

5. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    That music...

Is fucking creepy.

6. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game
    Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but the only savestates I used were Sonic 2 Beta savestates. No Sonic 1.

7. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Yeah, it's well known that S2B includes the title card graphics from S1, as they hadn't replaced them at the time our proto was built.

8. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That looks like its saying Spring. Sorta.
    Genocide Cit-*shot*

I almost pissed in fear in that strange music.

9. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    That would make sense, as Sonic 1 did have Spring Yard Zone. It also looks like the sprite limit has kicked in (look at that gap in the "SPRING" part), as well as the top of "PRING").

But yeah, loading random savestates doesn't usually do that much. It would be analogous to making a two-cart adaptor with a switch to choose which cart is connected, then throwing that switch after letting one game boot up and run. You've changed the ROM, but not the processor state or VDP RAM. So the game will attempt to continue running from the same location in ROM where the procesor was executing at the point of the savestate, which will usually crash or give unpredictable results.

10. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    I think the perfect theme song for the Tails Doll has been found. Seriously that music + footage of Tails Doll = Ultimate unnerving piece of multimedia.

11. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    That music, sped up to about 200%, would fit in with the NES Mario Movie quite well... heh.

Also, that just sounds like the YM processor exploded more than anything. I've managed to crash GBA games and get something along the same lines before.

12. Seconded. Have you ever seen the tails doll page on Quacker & Bowen?

Tails from the crypt! Ohnoez!

*Shudders*

13. Shade

Shade

Eh. I'm thinking a boss fight with Tails Doll in some dark area occasionaly illuminated by flashes of lightning with Gems Collection's "Can You Feel The Sunshine ACID Mix" as music would be pretty awesome/creepy as well.

14. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    That music isn't creepy, but I've actually done some weird experiments with audio and electronics since my dad is an electronics engineer and his office is full of the crap needed to do weird audio stuff.

15. Atma

Atma

Nipple Rockets! Pending Member
    My parachute is a knapsack
    Learning Inform 7
    Creepy? Un-nerving? That was the most fucking hilarious music bit I've heard in ages.

Gawd, I'm weird.

16. Vangar

Vangar

You mean this?

17. mcbpete

mcbpete

Musical musicals Member
    that's pretty awesome man :lol:

18. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
Thread Status: