don't click here

3D on 2D Sonic games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tom41, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    If you have any NuOptix 3D glasses - those are the ones with one dark and one light lens - you can use them to make any of the 2D Sonic games come out with 3D backgrounds! These kinds of glasses were given away in the UK recently for the Prince's Trust concert (on which the 3D was VERY poorly done), but they work much better on Sonic.

All you have to do is bend the glasses backwards so that you can put them on the 'wrong' way round, then wear them while playing any of the MD Sonic games. You'll find that when you move, the multi-layered backgrounds come out in 3D!
    I found that the beginning of Sonic 3's Icecap zone is good (when Sonic is snowboarding), as well as many of the Past levels in Sonic CD. Also check out Mystic Cave in Sonic 2.

I haven't tried Sonic Rush or any of the Advance games yet, but in theory this should work on any game which has multi-layered backgrounds...

The reason you have to reverse the glasses is that as designed, the 3D effect only works when the camera is panning to the left. Since you run right in nearly all Sonic levels, you have to reverse the glasses to get the effect.

Post your thoughts here ;)

2. Vangar

Vangar

How do you make these glasses?

3. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

If I'm right, these are the same type from Tomorrow's World, a long long time ago..

Something about light travelling slower through the dark lens, or something...

You put a darker lens on your left eye, and a lighter one on your right, and your left eye sees the image millisecs after the right one.. When you move things, in a 3D parallax style, the slower moving background hits your left eye slightly later, so it gives a much more pronounced 3D effect.. The trouble is, though, if you move in the opposite direction, the whole effect becomes reversed. So, good for right to left levels, but not for levels with back+forth movement..

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I remember being amazed when playing Wonder Boy 3 with that kind of glasses on, back in the day.

5. Timecrash

Timecrash

I, Timecrash, will knock you all down! Member
    Don't these glasses really screw up your eyes when using them with the computer? I remember reading a review of dedicated gaming 3-D glasses, and it said that. Anyway, it'll be pretty cool to see Sonic in 3-D, I'll have to pick up a pair of those glasses.

6. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    This'd be something to definatly check out... If I didn't have a slight lazy eye.

7. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    It dosen't really work all that great. Especialy since your mostly stopping / starting and sonic's speed varies so much, plus it dosen't seam to be that strong of an effect.

Unless, of course, I'm doing something wrong :P

8. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Have you tried putting on the glasses backwards? Since you're moving right in most Sonic games, and the glasses are designed for when the camera is moving left, you have to reverse them to get the effect.

The stopping and starting is a problem, but I want to hack one of the Sonic games so the background is constantly moving (like the clouds in Sonic 1 (J) GHZ and Sonic 2 HTZ).

9. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I wish this worked with the red and blue 3D glasses, I have loads of those...

10. Taco

Taco

NintenDan Member
    NIU. Dekalb, Illinois
    Reclaiming my throne as sonic advance king >:O
    hmmm

well, it's better then trying to redesign all the 2d levels into 3d and having em turn out to be crap...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.