don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog: DX

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by stormislandgal, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I've got back into Sonic Hacking again, and decided to do this.
    [​IMG]
    The hack I'm making is called "Sonic The Hedgehog: DX", and with that title, I've decided that this would be a fitting title card. =P

Suggestions welcome. And before anyone asks, I won't change the size, primarily as I've already got every level worked out(except Marble and Final, due to location complications).

And before I forget... I wanted to put the act number inside of the little spike ball, but that appears on top of it... How could I fix this? It's not of total importance right now, and may not even be neccesary as I'm already using the number in the "Sonic Got Through" ending card. Just wanted to know.

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That wins all title card edits.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Very nice! Good job.

4. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Excellent use of dithering. That dither pattern should blend quite nicely on a Genesis.

As for the priority issue, I'm not as familiar with how the engine handles it, but from a hardware perspective, sprites are rendered front-to-back (starting with sprite 0 on top and following each sprite's link field to determine which sprite is rendered next, which ends when a sprite has a link field of 0). So, you'd need to make sure that the sprite used for the act number is referenced before that of the HUD background (as you already have for the zone name).

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    To get the number to stand in front, make sure the main title card art is set to lower, and the text is set to topmost in the mappings. To do this in LOst Library, highlight the piece you want to adjust, and press E to change the plane it's displayed on.

6. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Very cool :)

7. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Indeed, that does look very nice. Good job.

8. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Nice!

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
  10. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Heh! Yours is better. I have to fix the sky and stuff.

11. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Didn't think people would like the text being small. No one's griped about it yet. Thanks!
    *hi-jacks his own topic*

Well, was doing some programming work earlier and came up with this. I gave each act of Green Hill, Now Emerald Hill(for the time being) a different palette. I'm just experimenting for now, and have the pallete colors fade. Not as in between the levels, but where one level is blue, it goes to greenish-blue to almost yellow.
    [​IMG]
    Act 1
    [​IMG]
    Act 2
    [​IMG]
    Act 3
    [​IMG]
    New name for Star Light. The name is just refering to what the stars are gonna be, and not the general color scheme of the level.

12. Shade

Shade

I think "smex" just about sums up my thoughts.

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    [​IMG]
    That is probaly the 2nd best thing I've seen so far.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    VERY nice. As for the title card, I'd only reccomend fixing that ugly white border around the Sonic-esque ball... Perhaps shade the jagged edges with a bit of gray?

15. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Heh... same idea I had... to a certain degree.

I like the way your hack looks though. It's quite promising.

16. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    ehh... "smex"? I should brush up on my vocab... or probably go over to UrbanDictionary. =P EDIT: Nevermind about the "smex thing"... =P

Thanks, SF. Can't say I saw your post though, haven't been to SSRG in a while. And, yeah, Tweaker, I'll do some editing of the Sonic ball.

17. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    ThunderSpeed... thanks for teaching me about the way to get GHZ palettes to be split... although I forgot how to do it for when I wanted to revert. Stupid AIM with lack of logging chats. Anyway, here's what you allowed me to achieve.

[​IMG]
    Act 1

[​IMG]
    Act 2

[​IMG]
    Act 3

If you figured this out yourself, I recommend you to be a techie. Sure, you told me it was only minor... but it's still ASM.

18. Gregster

Gregster

Oldbie
    (I would worship anyone who successfully pulls off a time travel version of Sonic 1 to the same quality as Sonic CD) --- ThunderSpeed, why did you choose blue to fade to green in your GHZ palettes? Just wondering. I mean it looks nice but...doesn't...make...any...sense D: XD Awesome anyways, though. :3

19. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    @ Shadow Fire: Geez, the HUD pallette is pretty ugly-looking. Actually, at a second glance, the SCORE TIME RINGS bit isn't that bad, but the SONIC at the life icon is pretty hard to read.

@ ThunderSpeed: Looks VERY nice, but I agree with Tweaker on the Sonic-ball in the title card needing shading. In fact, I was going to say the exact same thing before I read that post =P

20. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    That's an old ROM which I used with ASM... don't worry about the life icon, it's not in my final...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.